My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

Curious for those with the 3080 + G2 (ftw3 card here):

Im at 75oxr / 75 taa (latest preview checked and automatic MR), most settings on medium /some high, lods both set to 100… In the b58 baron, just above NYC buildings flying by, im now using this as another baseline. I seem to get with the fps indicator, around 20-22.5 fps tops. Is this consistent with everyone else? I guess its “mostly” smooth, but there are hiccups here and there (i swear i had it perfect the other day though). Does this frame rate seem about right (i was thinking i had it in the mid 20s or higher before)

I don’t know really. Fs2020 can be so much unpredictable from day to day (see my post about the TBM yesterday where I even couldn’t keep motion smoothing with TAA100+OXR50…). Otherwise the “hiccups” can happen more often with WMR/G2 than with SteamVR/Index on my test system, and it might just be due to the 4:1 ratio with WMR which I’m flirting with, whereas I’m using 5:1 ratio with the Index and when it does flirt to close I can quickly, with the HMD mounted button, change this to 6:1 if needed (this is super convenient with the Index).

1 Like

Will do Cap, thanks!

1 Like

22.5 is exactly the minimum fps for the MR to work. If you get less than that, you are out of MR.

1 Like

Hi,

I have a 3080 so thought I’d give it a go with the G58 over NYC and report back. Full spec is 3080FTW3, 5900x, 64GB of 3600 RAM, Samsung 980pro NVMe, 900Mb fibre internet.

My current default in-game settings are:

TAA: 100
TLOD: 100
Terrain vector data: High
Buildings: High
Trees: High
Grass: Medium
OLOD:100
Clouds: High
Texture Res: High
Aniso: 16x
Texture SS: 4x4
Texture Synth: High
Water: High
Shadow Maps: 768
Terrain Shadows: 256
Contact Shadows: Low
Windshield Effects: High
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Reflections: High
Light Shafts: Off
Bloom: On
Glass cockpit refresh rate: High

As I’ve mentioned before, I am not a big MR fan. To my eyes there is a weird shimmering on the instruments, regardless of OXR/TAA render resolution, which makes them more difficult to read. For the A32nx, CJ-4 and CRJ this was a dealbreaker for me where instrument legibility is king.

With this in mind I left MR off and took the B58 from La Guardia over NYC.

With my current default of OXR100/TAA100 it settled down to pretty solid 33-36FPS. It occasionally dropped to ~30 but never intrusively. Obviously not super-smooth but I only really notice the microstutters if I actively look for them. But that’s just me I guess since many people seem to have a problem.

Next I set MR to always on and dropped OXR to 75 leaving TAA at 100. This locked in at 22.5 fps with MR 4:1, always blue in the frame timing overlay. I was actually pleasantly surprised by the experience. I didn’t get the noticeable shimmering on the EFIS that has always put me off MR previously and the view outside was awesome - less detail than my go to settings but not too far off and more than compensated for by the smoothness. The only thing that was a bit off-putting was the propeller reflections/shadows on the engine casings if I looked out of the window. Without MR I get a very realistic effect, with MR it turns into a sort of rippling water effect. I got a similar effect on some of the bright highlights in the cockpit below the windscreen.

Next I dropped OXR to 50. Here it locked in at 30fps but detail outside, to my eyes, was noticeably worse than OXR 75 and the 3:1 MR didn’t seem to be any different than the 4:1 MR I was getting at OXR75.

Next I thought I’d see how far I could push OXR. I managed to push it to 90 with the settings above before the frame timing overlay started occasionally turning red.

So, to cut a long story short, I think I will still probably stick with TAA100/OXR100 non-MR for the jets but flying GA, even in testing areas like NYC and London, TAA100/OXR75-90 with MR always on might just be my new go-to.

Completely off topic but I have also been trying out @CptLucky8 's taxi guidance mod. Loving it! If you want a little help finding your way to the gate in VR without the immersion killing distraction of those enormous blue arrows I recommend you give it a go too :smile:

4 Likes

@NinjaCanOpnr
Thank you for sharing your experience with the 3080, and for your kind words with the taxi helpers!

For the propellers, there are solutions!

And of course pre-made for defaults:

10 Propeller Mods for the FS2020 Standard Edition • Flight Simulator 2020

6 Propeller Mods for the FS2020 Premium Deluxe Edition • Flight Simulator 2020

2 Likes

Or 15 fps at 60Hz despite all its drawbacks:)

1 Like

Thanks for the response. It’s not the propellers that I have a problem with - it’s if I look out of the side window, the engine cover is rippling. Just checking we’re talking about the same thing before I edit.

Regarding the taxi helper - is there a way to leave it on but not have the landing helper displayed? At the moment I am turning it on once I leave the runway but ideally I would like to leave it on all the time.

Interestingly, and a little disappointing, I just took the B58 around some less taxing scenery in the UK only to find that OXR80/TAA100 with MR on was no where near as consistent. MSFS likes to keep you guessing it seems.

@NinjaCanOpnr
Do you mean when you’re rolling the aircraft, the engine cover is somewhat showing distortions, otherwise you can see the following: when the ground/scenery pixels are sliding out under the engine cover, there is a small region right at the edge where they are appearing a little bit blurrier (for lack of an another word)?

Is so, this is normal with motion smoothing because it is trying to create new pseudo frames out of the existing information from the previous and the next frames, and these are difficult areas to predict because it can’t see behind the engine for example which pixels are about to be showing up on the next frame. This is an unfortunate side effect but personally, when balancing the smoothness and the absence of any juddering, I try not to pay attention to these artifacts.

As for the taxi helper, I’m not sure what you mean with the landing helper? Do you mean the parking box instead? I’d have to make a varient for this!

Otherwise I agree, sometimes FS2020 is inhabited by a spirit making its best to prove you were wrong the day before :rofl:

No, what I was seeing yesterday was like the whole top of the engine cover behind the propeller rippling like jelly. I might have to try and recreate it and grab a short video.

For the taxi helper I may be doing something wrong but enabling it in the assistance menu enables both the taxi path indicators and the large rectangular landing approach ‘helpers’. Ideally I would have your discrete green arrows and nothing in the sky but they seem to go together so for now I have to leave it off when coming into land and then turn it on once I’m about to taxi.

Is this just the heat haze effect created by the engine exhaust? (In the TBM??)

No, this was the B58 Baron. It wasn’t happening in 4K or in VR without MR. Only experienced it in VR with MR on.

Most likely you were at the edge in terms of fps vs motion smoothing and it was having a hard time processing. In this case it won’t be able to motion smooth the pixels consistently from frame to frame and this can show as “jelly”. However it is also possible it is having a harder time only because of the computations on the propellers, thus having less time for the other pixels (I’m not sure if the algorithm is implemented in a time-constant fashion or if it is pixel dependent - like the difference when sorting an already sorted list vs a completely shuffled one with a bubble sort).

I’ve never seen those but I believe it is a separate item. Isn’t this actually set in the popup AI or Assist panel from the TAB bar?

Yesterday I wanted to revisit the TBM at New Orleans in bad weather situation which gave me a bad time the day before. Here is what I’ve tried and what I’ve been observing.

I wanted to check whether I could get better results with SteamVR, just in case. To cut a story short: no I didn’t. However I noticed something interesting. When comparing WMR/OXR 75% vs SteamVR at 76% (can’t dial 75 in the GUI), the latter was significantly sharper!

I didn’t try comparing other resolutions but it was noticeable enough to me and I really don’t think it was placebo at all. There is a video setting in SteamVR which is called “Advanced Supersample Filtering” which to me is most likely something about using a bicubic like filter instead of a bilinear, and this might be the reason. Unfortunately I didn’t spend time trying this on/off.

Anyhow since I didn’t get better fps with motion smoothing, I reverted back to WMR/OXR and I tried to further adjust the settings for the TBM at New Orleans. I’ve spent quite some time testing different approaches and settings and I’ll spare you the details, except that when comparing TAA/OXR res., although the higher the OXR the better details in the distance, the other graphical issues like line edges or “stair steps” on coastlines or small features are never really eliminated and given these, and since my test hardware can’t do 100/100, I really had to accept the limitations and consider maximizing what can be, not what can’t.

In the end, here is what I’ve been able to push on the 9700K+2070S:

1- Starting with my earlier Base settings…

... then changing only these:
Setting Value Comments
Render Scaling 70% Surprisingly good enough with TBM EFIS because they are large, when paired with an adequate OXR res (see below)
Volumetric Clouds High I was using Med or High depending
Texture Resolution Med This only affects the aircraft cockpit textures, not the decals, and this might have helped saving a few fps but I didn’t try High for comparison…
Contact Shadows Low …or maybe this allowed me trading cockpit texture for trees shadows instead
Ambient Occlusion Off This looks cool but when you’re trying to reach the threshold for motion smoothing, Off can make a difference even compared to Low.
Reflections Low I was using High in the base settings. I was quite puzzled to find the image of the distant objects slightly better with Low or Off here, and this was also a good contributor to saving fps when comparing with High. Furthermore Low isn’t showing the issue with SU5 and lagging reflection as strong as with High!

2- Setting WMR/OXR Custom render scale to 70% (so much for my 75% :wink: ) with Motion Always On.

This gives 2632 x 2596 display resolution, and with the in-game TAA 70% a render resolution slightly below the native panel res.

3- Test flights

I was able to fly the TBM without any problem with the bad weather. Motion smoothing almost never failed on me. I then decided to try another aircraft, the KA350 over Los Angeles photogrammetry with a flight from Los Alamitos to Van Nuys. And again, motion smoothing almost never failed on me and looking down to the ground when flying up to about 8000ft was really showing lots of details to me.

I’ll have to try these changes with other aircraft and areas, but I honestly feel better with these than with TAA100+OXR50. However I know TAA70+OXR70 was usable here because these two aircraft are using large EFIS and they remained legible enough on the PFD, and mostly legible on the center MFD.

This is also comforting more and more my idea of prioritizing resolution over settings. This means finding a good set of base settings universally good for any hardware and high enough for good visuals, then adjusting only (mostly) the TAA/OXR ratio depending on your hardware and the type of aircraft. TAA100 for Airliners/EFIS, OXR100 for analogue gauges, and a medium mix of 70/70 (eventually 75/75) as the everyday/reference option.

3 Likes

Thanks for doing the NYC test… im baffled though…

10900k at 4.7ghz (26% cpu, avgs 4.6 ghz though), 3080ftw with the latest studio driver download from nvidia, 32gb ram, nvme dedicated drive.

I set my settings the same as yours. Im at 1500 ft above the buildings of nyc with scattered clouds setting (was yours b58 baron and scattered clouds?) I have the community folder empty.

My timing overlay box constantly goes blue red, because the average is more like 18-19, occassionally hitting 21.5

How about nvidia and windows settings…
Are you using the nvidia control panel tweaks, do you have hags on or off etc (i have hags on, because i swear it gave better perf, but i’m going to turn it off again). I am not doing background operation for windows settings or a dedicated 32gb paging file.

Is that “preview” mode on or off with oxr?

EDIT: i take it back on hags on, at least it was hags off or the reboot… Now at 1500 ft over nyc in b58, its a solid blue box most of the time, maybe every 20 sec it goes red. I do see occasional (judder) ? as i look around; update2: rebooted again, this time more red than blue, but it settled after a few, still not as smooth as the first reboot though, also tried upping my cpu clock to 4.9x from 4.7x (not that it helps much)

@bigdaddyPittPA
I’m also documenting what NVidia, Windows, etc… settings I’m using in this post: Base settings…

I’d be curious to see @NinjaCanOpnr comment about his too!

1 Like

updated my reply, hags off or the reboot helped… mostly blue now… occasional red, there is some judder looking around time to time even while solid blue… im using your settings fully for windows/nvidia (there really is only the one for nvidia)

1 Like

Decided to revisit MR with OXR/TAA 80/100 with my 3080 home settings posted earlier. The loss of outside detail was immediately noticeable. Cockpit TBM panels looked about the same and readable. Smoothness looking around in the cockpit or in drone view didn’t seem much different from non MR until landing and the runway started to look weird. OXR 100 non MR provides enough detail to see the windows on houses and buildings from pattern altitude.

FYI about prop artifacts - and possibly the engine cowling artifact if it was caused by the prop reflected on the engine cowling. I actually experimented with modding prop textures not just by reducing opacity (although it works well) but I just replaced the texture with the uniform circle - solid color with similar opacity to prop texture. What I got is the perfect prop in VR with MR: no artifacts whatsoever, and a slightly darkened circle where the prop should be, very similar to real life. There’s no wobbling, so no artifacts, and still looks very realistic. It’s easy to do, at least on Photoshop with Nvidia DDS plugin. Just open whatever plane prop texture, reduce draw a circle of the same size, reduce opacity a bit, and you’re done.

1 Like

@RomanDesign
This sounds like a good tip indeed.
Are you drawing a filled black circle in the same layer as the loaded texture file? And then you reduce the layer opacity prior saving?