My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

Decided to revisit MR with OXR/TAA 80/100 with my 3080 home settings posted earlier. The loss of outside detail was immediately noticeable. Cockpit TBM panels looked about the same and readable. Smoothness looking around in the cockpit or in drone view didn’t seem much different from non MR until landing and the runway started to look weird. OXR 100 non MR provides enough detail to see the windows on houses and buildings from pattern altitude.

FYI about prop artifacts - and possibly the engine cowling artifact if it was caused by the prop reflected on the engine cowling. I actually experimented with modding prop textures not just by reducing opacity (although it works well) but I just replaced the texture with the uniform circle - solid color with similar opacity to prop texture. What I got is the perfect prop in VR with MR: no artifacts whatsoever, and a slightly darkened circle where the prop should be, very similar to real life. There’s no wobbling, so no artifacts, and still looks very realistic. It’s easy to do, at least on Photoshop with Nvidia DDS plugin. Just open whatever plane prop texture, reduce draw a circle of the same size, reduce opacity a bit, and you’re done.

1 Like

@RomanDesign
This sounds like a good tip indeed.
Are you drawing a filled black circle in the same layer as the loaded texture file? And then you reduce the layer opacity prior saving?

I draw the circle, remove the original layer and flatten the file, then save as DDS. I keep the PSD version in case I need to edit. I had one flight in PA28 and I really like the result. Maybe I should fade out the sircle’s perimeter for a bit more realism.

2 Likes

But you do draw a black circle isn’t it and you only adjust opacity of the layer (you’re not drawing a grey circle for example) ? What about the “slow” prop? Have you found a trick for this one as well or do you use the same texture for both?

I actually run with 60hz on the G2 headset and set the nvidia control panel to frame limit of 20fps so its then 3x on the motion reprojection (that I have always on). I like it, but I know that 60hz for some folks is a no-go, but once I tried it in the sim it was great for me and it allows me to have the other settings higher on OXR and TAA (100/100) and the graphics settings in sim to a mix of Low/Med/High using the guidance from CptLucky8 on the performance hit and optics of each particular graphics setting. I am running this with an i9 10900k and an rtx 3090 and use most GA and the TBM aircraft (so no airliners) and I fly mostly rural/bush trips, but also some cities from time to time, and usually clear skies.

1 Like

I forgot about 60hz, ill have to try that again, i think it was “ok” for me, i had switched it to 90 again for some test and never tried again, ill try the 20 fps hack. I didnt notice much of the weird flicker that i did back when i first got the headset either. For others yeah they have that issue.
EDIT: tried it, less of the red box, mostly solid blue locked in, however im still seeing studder or judder at times

1 Like

I only modify a fast one. Slow is either not giving me artifacts, or it goes fast too fast for me to notice. I don’t consider it a problem. Fast prop is a problem though, constant wobbling artifacts are annoying. Yes, I draw a black circle and reduce opacity to taste.

1 Like

I can’t stand 60Hz, I really see it strobing constantly. I guess I’m sensitive to that. That is not an option for me.

I’ve always been curious about people saying that they see strobing at 60 Hz. Do they also see strobing with fluorescent lighting because that strobes at the frequency of the power source.

Personally I can’t stand 60hz but I don’t see my day to day (or should I say night to night) lights strobing IRL.

[off topic]

However you might point something here and I’ll relate an experience: in Europe CRT TV was 50hz (PAL or SECAM) and in North Am. 60Hz (NTSC). When I moved from Europe, the CRT TV looked a little bit smoother but not this much (I won’t talk about NTSC colors though… :wink: ) However after living there a while and getting used to it, on my next trip to Europe I couldn’t help noticing the 50hz refresh rate on the TV! Almost like seeing the stroboscopic “dark” band moving up on the screen and repeating.

[back to topic[

Not if they are working correctly - they have a sort of “inertia” to them , so they don’t get dark in between the frames. G2 looks to me as it gets dark in between, so I see/feel strobing even when I’m not moving my head - it’s the inherent quality of the display. Older fluorescent lights may be losing their potency and then I see them strobing sometimes - when the dark period is sufficient enough to be noticeable.

1 Like

These I can see indeed but I believe most if not everyone can?!

For the G2, there is another factor that might be playing here: the anti-ghosting processing. IIRC in typical HMD (or actually even my 4K monitor has it) is supposed to send a signal per-pixel based on currently displayed value and new pixel value, in order to artificially reduce the perceived grey-to-grey transition time and to eliminate a lot of LCD ghosting. It is possible though this is hard wired for 90hz in the case of the G2 and this is causing strobing at 60Hz.

The reason I posed the question is because back in my medical lab tech days we used to use an optical tachometer to check our centrifuges. A piece of reflective tape was put on the rim and the tach would shine a light on it and measure the reflective returns. We would calibrate the tach by pointing it at a fluorescent light. They do indeed strobe no matter how new the bulb.

1 Like

Just me being stupid. I was enabling it from the in game toolbar which enables both. Going into the options from the game menu I can select taxi guidance independently.

For the rippling effect - it seemed to be there regardless of the amount of headroom I had. That said - in my test today it wasn’t there but that could have been due to more clouds/less direct sunlight.

1 Like

We used to use the same principle in the past when calibrating our vinyl disk players, to that we can make sure 45 and 33 rpm were indeed 45 and 33!

1 Like

Tried again this morning to confirm since I think I had it with light clouds before.

This time B58 Baron (same as before - even though I keep calling it the G58) and scattered clouds. Other in game settings the same and with OXR75/TAA100 MR on it was still rock
solid in the blue (~22.5fps) 99.9% of the time with maybe 2-3 times giving me a flash of red in the overlay. I even managed to push reflections up to ultra because I was finding the reflections at high too distracting. Maybe it’s a MR thing (?) but the way the reflections move in the water is very unrealistic. They seem to ripple on a completely wrong scale e.g. I’m at 1500ft but the movement of the reflections look more like a tidal wave is coming in!

Another observation - this time no rippling jelly engine covers but I expect that’s because of the increased cloud cover meaning it’s not trying to produce prop shadows on the cowling.

So settings:

In game settings as before
Game mode off
HAGS off
OXR is set to latest runtime
nVidia driver 471.68

nVidia 3D settings are all ‘Use global setting’ apart from:

Power management mode: Use max performance
Threaded optimization: Off
Vertical sync: Off

Hope that helps.

As an aside - can anyone explain what the different numbers (app/pre/post, cpu/gpu) mean in the timing overlay and how I can interpret them to determine whether I’m GPU or CPU constrained?

Peter

3 Likes

Continuing to test with 75oxr (preview mode) + 100TAA with the 3080ftw3, things are pretty smooth with MR on still. I keep getting some juddering/or stuttering (while MR is locked blue), i dont know how to cure, i’ve tried lowering settings but it hasnt gone away, even turning your head the left side of the aircraft frame sorta jutters for a second.

EDIT: If i move my head fast i can actually see black on the left and right of the goggles appear briefly. Even with MR set to always on… i guess at least this is the effect of reprojection

EDIT2: even lowering RS to 85 and other settings, i just cant get rid of ground jutter and the quick look thing, even at a solid MR blue, however the frame rate even in sparser areas is still wildly fluctuating from 20 to 26 fps (60hz mode now on the goggles)

EDIT3: so in a sparse area after cycling the wmr apps, im now closer to 26 fps with MR fully on (lowered oxr to 70), despite this, even looking out the front of the b58 as you turn, the ground appears to judder/stutter in the turn… i really dont recall this issue before su5 or earlier on. I tried 50 oxr just to rule out frame rate issues… i guess some weird issue with MR

2 Likes

One of my settings I forgot to mention, which is different to the settings you mentioned earlier, is I have ‘always on’ for MR rather than automatic. Not sure if it will make a difference but worth a shot.

2 Likes

I was fooling around this morning trying to get a solid blue MR and even when I turned graphics settings right down to low and with 70% OXR and 100 TAA it couldn’t do it, which is nuts given my rig (5600X and Radeon 6800XT) I had to go down to 50 OXR and 80 TAA. This in the Stearman biplane out in the sticks.

MSFS has more Gremlins than the movie sometimes.

Edit: Ha, maybe this has something to do with it, I have no idea…

In News and Announcements today: [KNOWN ISSUE] Bing data streaming
Some adjustments have been made but we are still working on this issue.

1 Like