(NDU registry change) Increase performance immediately! AMAZING!

you fly 2hours over London ? :rofl:

4 Likes

Great find Mikebuch. Much smoother for me also . Thanks :+1:

1 Like

Sharing community :grinning: :wink:

1 Like

Yes, it worksā€¦ everything is indeed much smoother.

5 Likes

I have the exact same experience, and a fairly similar setup. This smoothed my experience right out. Best fps on the ground since many SUā€™s ago. And itā€™s been a long time since I can pan around views without getting some stutters or lags. I also noticed that no scenery textures were popping in. Before the fix, any lights addon for a city would take a second to pop-in if i snapped view to it.

1 Like

Share as much as possible so that other simers can also improve the sim. :smiley: Good flights.

2 Likes

Posting this here for those linking to other topics. When you link a topic, use the main topic link, not a post link.

To link this main topic, the URL link is:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/decreasing-performance-playing-solution/504551

5 Likes

Iā€™ve spread the ā€œwordā€

1 Like

Thank-you!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This has been normal Windows superfetch behavior to fill up memory with data that could be potentially used in the future. Wagnard wrote the standby list cleaner tool since people were claiming the standby list caused stuttering issues. Clearing the standby list sounds like a bad idea to me, but if the Windows memory manager doesnā€™t work right then all bets are off.

1 Like

Confirmed this works for 3hr+ flight [+ landing + takeoff cycles x4] in BAHAMAS Region.

Thanks so much @Mikebuch87 !

6 Likes

Did anybody look to see if the data usage monitor in MSFS actually stopped counting? Iā€™ll check mine today some time.

You can also disable SysMain. This link has several things you can do including NDU.
How to Fix High Memory Usage in Windows 10 - Make Tech Easier

1 Like

High memory usage is not a bad thing if the Windows memory manager works correctly. Pre-fetching is intended to improve performance, not reduce it.

6 Likes

it similar to the hint with the NDU, which was a issue reported 7 years ago and I wonder that there is seemingly a relation to some users. At least the issue was the none-paged-pool caused`in ndu by outdated drivers, e.g. mentioned was MSI users with Killer Network. That there are often issues with outdated intel drivers is clear, but seven years ( or may be more ) after first report ?

I did a google search on this registry edit. Note that there may be some unintended consequences of turning of the NDU utility in the registry: Hereā€™s an article I found that can save memory usage over time but it can cause problems with the pc detecting new usb devices (yes an odd combination of things but that windows I guess).

NDU is a driver that helps the operating system communicate with the computerā€™s internal hardware. It detects new devices. For example, NDU helps the OS communicate with the USB ports to detect any connected USB devices.

Disabling the NDU registry might help because NDU will no longer be scanning for new devices all the time. This saves both computational power and system resources like memory usage. To disable NDU,

1. Open the Registry editor app again and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Services/Ndu.

2. Find and Right-click on the Start option and click on Modify.

3. Change the value from 2 to 4 and click on OK.

4. Now, restart your computer and check if the Windows 10 high RAM usage issue persists.

If youā€™re unable to use the internet after changing the NDU values, revert to the default value, i.e., 2.

5 Likes

OK, hearing a lot about this post.

I assume this is the setting to change from 2 to 4?

However, has anyone seen any negative issues with this setting in MSFS or other games? I always get nervous when messing with the registry, esp Windows 11.

Thoughts?

See my post directly above yoursā€¦there are some things to know about this registry edit and negative side effects that may happen.

Just read it as soon as I hit enter on my response, lol. Thanks for that.

I am not going to change itā€¦ Iā€™m not having the long haul performance issues that others keep referencing, so will keep it as is. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

allways mention the source of a post ( Copyright etc ) :wink: ā€¦

But I seen this post toā€¦ and also such kind:

https://askinglot.com/what-is-windows-ndu

What is Windows NDU?

The National Defense University (NDU) is an institution of higher education funded by the United States Department of Defense, intended to facilitate high-level training, education, and the development of national security strategy.

:rofl:

2 Likes