New Release: A1R’s Ryan ST-A Special

As a Piper driver, I’ve always thought the process of taking off with flaps odd. I’m used to them only being needed for short takeoff. But, having read through the POH’s of say, the Piaggio P149, it is a thing I guess.

It “Feels” a little overpowered to me, but, it is the 150 HP version, and it’s a pretty small, single seat plane, and it meets the book numbers in performance, so I trust it’s relatively accurate-ish. It rolls nicely.

I contacted A1R technical support at about 11 pm Pacific last night with a detailed report on the view issue I was having, and they responded overnight with a new cameras.cfg that fixed the problem! That’s superb support.

Really loving this plane. It’s now my go-to for VFR sightseeing.

5 Likes

Looks great and flies nicely. A great plane for some VFR in VR. I’m more of a GA fan than airliners or big jets, and always on the lookout for something a bit different. Well worth the money.

2 Likes

It takes a lot for me to purchase an aircraft, but you guys have made me feel like I should on this one!
Any comparisons to the Waco with regards to quality and dev support/updates?

(although in the end it looks like I might one day get both, seeing as they’re both at airports I’ve been based in, in Australia!)

It’s flight model is not as quirky as the WACO. A couple of posts up, a user posted the developer created a new cameras.cfg for him when he brought up issues, so, I’d say they are at least as and probably more responsive than Carenado. I personally have not had any need to contact the developers. I’m itching to create some liveries, so, a paint kit would be nice (I forget if there is one).

As @FlyingsCool5650 pointed out, I contacted the developers at 11 pm PT with an email about the camera config being incorrect for the POV hat switch snap views. I had a fixed file in my inbox less than seven hours later, while I was still asleep. :slight_smile: I’d call that responsive!

And really, I can’t find anything else that needs to be addressed now that that’s fixed.

1 Like

Surprising a paint kit isn’t included. Are the files accessible, like the .gltf model files? Then you could import it to blender for livery painting at least…

I don’t really know anything about model files but there’s a couple of .gltf files in the model folder:

1 Like

I may be a minority, but liveries in general don’t make ANY difference to me… so I am one of the guys who doesn’t care about the Paintkit. Though, on everything else, it’s stellar! I really hope you enjoy!

1 Like

She’s a beauty all right…fantastic addition to my ever growing hangar

4 Likes

F’n great, right? Out of the blue a developer comes up with no expectations, but everything is done right…

3 Likes

Puts to shame those developers who’s name I won’t even dignify with a mention…but we all know who they are, flying this beauty in VR is astonishing

3 Likes

We’re looking forward to a future Up Date which will open up the Front Cockpit.

Watching the GOFLY video made us appreciate the great skill and effort that ADB have put into the development of this lovely Machine for our Sim.
Seeing the PT-17 and the Ryan flying together is also interesting in that although both of these wonderful Aircraft are from the same Period the Ryan is so Futuristic in it’s elegant design.

4 Likes

It’s not a huge concern. I’m pretty efficient at just using the current livery files to create new ones, it’s just nice to have the rivets and dirt as separate layers. I don’t even know how to use blender to paint. I was going through how to create decals using blender, which would be nice, but, eek!, looks complicated.

And using blender doesn’t address the rivets and dirt at all, and it really doesn’t have good painting tools, so, that’s a no go.

Diverge on this one.
Always on the look out for interesting/rare liveries.
TG

2 Likes

I love this plane, like I just love it. I would like to know however should there be exhaust gas coming from those bits sticking out at the front?

Also I dont know if it is my controls but it seems the slightest input makes a huge movement, but I am not sure why?

And I am terrible at landing Tail Draggers, any tips please people?

Yeah I noticed the lack of heat blur on the exhausts, it’d be nice but you can’t see it from the cockpit so not essential. Controls are fine for me, you could check your sensitivity curves in the control settings though and adjust if need be.

Landing tail draggers can be pretty fun due to poor visibility, I have trackIR which makes things a bit easier as I can quickly poke my head out the side for a better look lol. Anyway I’m no expert by any means but I can mostly land it ok, I just come in nice and slow with the nose up and just before you touch down pull back even more so you get a nice stall in to drop you down the last few inches and get a 3 point landing if you’re lucky then keep the stick back so you don’t go weaving about on the runway (also handy when taxying and taking off) and hope things go well!

1 Like

This pitch axis seems way too sensitive to me too, roll and yaw feel like they have good weight to them but the nose seems to pitch up and down way too easily at normal speeds even with control sensitivity set really low.

1 Like

Many thanks for your help, I will give this a try. Thanks