The 1927 Ryan NYP Spirit of St. Louis

Some days since SU11 release, today was my first flight with the Ryan, I am reallly impressed with the job you have done, hats off!
Just bought the rafale 430, and as I have a soft spot for the era I am eagerly waiting for a Caudron 630/635 for next project :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This Ryan is the highlight of the 40th Anniversary edition. The modeling, texture and overall attention to detail is impeccable. And to top it off, the flight model is fantastic, flies like a dream.

I fondly remember FS2002, A Century of Flight and this brings that feeling back which I guess is exactly what Microsoft was going for.

4 Likes

Hey wait on, this is a sim, yes?

There is a keyboard assignment to speed up or slow down the “sim rate”, which is tailor-made for long, slow, ocean crossings or learning a difficult approach. It has been there since at least FSX, probably previous versions.

By pressing the “R” key and holding it, then simultaneously pressing the “+” or “-” key, we can speed up or slow down the sim by a factor of 2x. The available range is from 1/4 to 16X I think, and it works well. I use it all the time for the boring bits, like climbing to Mt Everest altitude in a Baron, or crossing the South Pacific in P. G. Taylor’s pioneering flight to Chile in 1951 in a 100 kts PBY Catalina. 8x sim speed in a C172 makes short work of long, slow outback flights. You can simply revert to 1X or real time when taxiing, taking off, sight-seeing and approach and landing. 1/2 and 1/4 speed are very handy for a close look at something, teaching the kids to fly, of lining up a tricky approach.

I have R+ and R- mapped to a controller key, and the sim rate is displayed on-screen in Shift-Z Stats.

There are a couple of caveats about flying at high sim rates -
(1) heading and altitude must be either held by autopilot, or set very accurately and monitored by an occasional check and trim. Spirit of St Louis seems a steady old bird, but you will have to check every little while to see that you’re still on course and at safe altitude. On aircraft with autopilot, I find that up to 8x is stable.
(2) much the same with fuel. We know Lindburgh had enough fuel, so why not just set the “unlimited fuel” option? Otherwise, look in occasionally to transfer fuel or check consumption.

Remember that the aircraft is not actually flying faster, so if you try to fly manually at high rates (good luck) you still have to use realistic climb rates, watch stall speeds and be careful in any steep turns.

With normal rate take off and climb, then rate increase to 8x with an occasional drop back to 1x for sunrise or windwave direction check, then normal landfall, approaches and landing at Paris, this flight will come down to a practical thing on a quiet day at home. More later 

1 Like

I’m sure he is aware of sim rate, but the whole point of his ordeal was tryjng to replicate Lindbergh’s flight, part of which is how friggin’ long it took. That’s the biggest part of his achievement. Using sim rate is like cheating and cheapens the whole reason to do it.

6 Likes

BlueMesh whats your next project? Will it be also a vintage plane?

1 Like

Yes all the next ones will be vintages

14 Likes

I wasn’t expecting much, but wow
 this plane is a blast in VR! I’ve only flown her around NYC and landing at Newark. Lining up for landing through the periscope was a real trip. She’s a joy to fly and the foward view forces you to fly the intruments. Really cool aircraft and will be flown more than I had anticipated. But
 maybe not for 33 hours
 :weary:

1 Like

Currently crossing the Atlantic in the Spirit. Fuel burn seems a bit higher than expected. I’m cruising at 4,000’ with auto-mixture. Hopefully I make it all the way to Paris (or at least land).

Has anyone else made the crossing?

1 Like

Yes, he cross the atlantic and 11% fuel was remaining at Paris :

3 Likes
1 Like

*Edit: Solved issue

There’s a search function in the content manager, you can also filter by content that isn’t installed.

Interesting. Disregard my previous post. Apparently there was an issue with the game yesterday (according to forum update on top of page) and now the option to reinstall the plane is back.

Yeah it was part of the patch right? Rather than a separate module like the Pelican or whatnot.

Was going to suggest toggling the package / list icon thingy shown below but since you’ve sorted no matter :slight_smile:

This is incredible actually. It blows my mind a streamer can do this-- not to mention Lindbergh himself! wow
the focus, the passion, the intensity Lindbergh must have had to pull that off. Not to mention stamina that I never had at any age.

edit: I would like to add that Lindbergh had to do it without Red Bulls! Crazy!

I’m sure that the adrenalin rush coming from the constant possibility of dying and the pressure of what it all means for the future of air travel is is a lot more potent than energy drinks. :wink:

2 Likes

I haven’t seen anything about how to use the pioneer-earth-inductor-compass
 Do you know how to use it? I don’ want to make a duplicate.

There are two parts to it. The compass to right of the seat is essentially a heading bug, you dial it to heading. The other component is below the steering compass and is essentially a CDI for the heading bug.

1 Like

I flew this one yesterday for the first time and the aircraft is kinda fun. Very stable in the air and I used my headtracking to take a peek outside to see where I am flying.

1 Like

That’s it. Thanks a lot for your help.