One more yoke question.....(real life GA pilots)

Bang for buck it’s about the best out there. Certainly the v2 model with the flat top as that has increased precision on all axes, and hall effect sensors.

1 Like

Talking out of both sides of my mouth, I will say even though I like my Honeycomb well enough… I do find myself yearning for something with longer throw.

I might bite the bullet & get this one. Thanks for the suggestion.

2 Likes

Precisely why I got the Yoko, even though it doesn’t have 90 degrees on roll.

1 Like

The Fulcrum is truly fantastic for the price. It has the full 180 in roll with a proper increasing tension unlike the HC yokes. It has a full 200mm pitch travel which is the longest I know of. The pitch tension again is nicely setup to increase the further away from centre you get and certainly lets you know if trim is needed. It just feels so smooth and precise to use. It concentrates on being a really good yoke so no extra’s here just a fine yoke. All that at half the cost of the Yoko. I don’t think you can buy a better non FF mass produced yoke. I have no affiliation with Fulcrum at all just a very satisfied customer.

3 Likes

Any idea of the precision per axis on the Fulcrum? Anecdotally it would be 12-bits per axis but I couldn’t find that on their website.

The Honeycomb v2 I think is 14-bit per axis, which is just silly! :slight_smile:

Yep it’s 12 bit.

1 Like

The HC xpc is 12 bit too.

I know the original version was only 8-bit, which I think was a major contributor to why some users stated that planes felt twitchy. Short throw plus low resolution will do that.

HC’s claim on the XPC marketing material would suggest the original was 10 bit but either way it’s still lower res and using a pot.

1 Like

A good CFI will beat you up with his rolled news paper if he notices your MSFS training :wink:

1. I told my CFI when I started that I had flown with FS for about 16 years when we sat down to discuss the first flight. He said ok…then you get to do everything as if I wasn’t even there and I will only step in if I don’t think it is going to end well.

We did the preflight…where he did mention a few things he wanted to see, that the Piper checklist was a bit vague on and he did have to show the engine fuel strainer function since that was a odd one and since I did not see immediately how it worked I rather asked before breaking one of Judy Scholl’s airplanes :smile:

Then we started her up, and he was stumped because I got the by the little Piper trick on the starter where you go from BOTH mags to start by pushing into the panel a little.
Taxi and runup no issue and also the Takeoff was without any action on his part. We flew a full pattern but he told me ahead that he would want to go around relatively soon after turning final. This was just to establish the pattern, aircraft control and the GO-around on his command.
On the second pattern I landed and taxied off the active. We did a few more that day and he never once touched the controls.
So I don’t think FS is as bad as all that… BUT certain things you will not learn with FS and some things you do learn are not always helpful.
In the real airplane you actually use visual cues outside, and seat of the pants as well as your ears a lot more than in FS.
FS in some ways forces you to rely more on the gauges to judge the flight than you would otherwise. That is maybe the hardest thing if you are going from one to the other.
In FS9 and FSX I had modified the simulated airplanes to match the real world airplanes performance for Warrior, Archer and Saratoga. Even fuel flow was accurate to a few tenth of a gallon. That is unfortunately that sort of fine tuning is beyond my skills with MSFS.
So I am just flying the aircraft I get from the store or from very talented Moders :smiley::smiley:

5 Likes

I read good things about the TM Boeing Yoke and as it delivers the airliners yoke experience , I will go for it eventually since I am not training on any real life GA aircraft to go for the other mentioned options that seem on a higher construction level most probably… Also I already experienced the CH and Saitek GA like yokes so time for the pendular experience for my pretend to be any pilot needs :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use the latest model currently. I actually configured it for a neutral hand as that is what most center configurations seem to be in non-military aircraft.

I fly VR, so I needed to learn left handed operation to keep my right hand free.

Most sticks are only usable for right handed use.

I had a similar experience. I was very humble, but chatting it up with the instructor so much I think he was just curious. I think simming in VR helped considerably, especially when making pattern turns and visually identifying bank angles.

The thing that threw me the most was the feeling of attitudes. While pitching up to get an 80 kt climb it felt way steeper to me than I expected. Like I was trying to go vertical with a fighter jet. Real pilots would probably laugh at the C172’s rate of climb.

The other surprising factor was the heavy feel of the controls, which is what brought me to click on this thread. With trim not right you are getting a significant workout.

I think a force feedback yoke would be amazing but without native sim support I don’t see them working well.

3 Likes

I own the Brunner: yes, it can!

2 Likes

If it had a traditional 8 way hat switch on the left, and rudder trim on the right, it would be on my shopping list.

I had a similar experience with my 2 minutes of control time flying shotgun in a Piper – the pilot had me try pitching us down a little to descend and it was a very different physical sensation than I was used to from the simulator. :smiley: Felt super steep despite being a pretty shallow angle; not even TrackIR or VR replicate your inner ear, and the differences feel bigger when you’re running the machine! :wink:

I really hope this happens sooner or later (both a semi-affordable ffb yoke and proper support for it in the sim – fingers crossed for 2024 or beyond!)

I had such a terrible experience with the 3rd party software on an old Sidewinder I’d be nervous to spend that money. The FFB just felt wrong and disconnected. I also had control feedback issues in that the forces were also driving additional input back in.

But it was really neat to see the stick move with the trim wheel.

With the Brunner, it’s not just about seeing the yoke move when you trim. It’s about feeling how the forces change while trimming! There is extensive calibration options, individual for each plane you use. Once things are set up correctly, all you need to do is to power up the yoke, start the control software, and start flying.

But be warned: you will never, ever want to go back to a regular joke, once you experienced the Brunner (and no, they don’t pay me to write this :slight_smile: )

1 Like

It has a 4 way hat on the right and a trim rocker on the left (plus AP disconnect)

Is that pitch trim? I didn’t think it had two trim switches.