OpenXR NIS upscaling software - Release thread

Dumb question but , how do you uninstall it ?

Open Windows Start menu, type ā€œAdd or remove programsā€, it will open Settings on ā€œApps & featuresā€ page, search the list for ā€œOpenXR NIS upscalingā€ (or something like that), select it and click Uninstall.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. If I understand correctly if I have OXR at 70 and in game rendering at 70 and NIS scaler at 100 (no scaling) the equivalent setting with the NIS scaler enabled would be OXR 100, in game rendering at 100 and NIS scaler at 70?

I would say no, for 2 reasons:

• the way the resolution and percentage are calculated between NIS/in-game render scale is not the same as OpenXR render scale. So 70% OpenXR is not the same resolution at 70% in-game or NIS. The formula is different (not sure how though).
  • you should not use OpenXR below 100. Anything below 100% will use cheap upscaling. In other words 70% OpenXR and 100% NIS is not the same as 100% OpenXR and 70% NIS. I expect the latter to be better because it will do filtered upscaling plus sharpening instead of just sharpening followed by cheap upscaling for the former.
1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply.Much appreciated.

In my testing I found the setting OXR 100, In Game rendering to 100 and NIS to 70 gave me a lot of stuttering. If I reduce in game to 70 everything smooths out. Iā€™ve got a G2 and a 2060 Super. Any thoughts or suggestions on a better combination of settings?

Iā€™ve found that oxr70/TAA100, no RIS looks better AND has slightly better FPS than oxr100/TAA100/RIS80. When increase RIS from there, I start getting worse performance.

The sharpening also isnā€™t worth it for me as the shimmer gets really bad

Unfortunately i get a CTD when trying to enter the VR mode with this tool (G2, 3070)

Thank you. This one thing (along with following your settings) has totally changed my experience.

1 Like

Most likely not related to this tool which is completely external to MSFS.

1 Like

Hello there sir.

I appreciate your efforts in developing this API. I would like to contribute to your effort by posting my experience with it. Iā€™ve been tinkering with MSFS VR mode as much as possible into every single detail since it was released. Did every thing imaginable to improve my experience with it. Mind you, i am using an older WMR headset (dell visor) and i7 9700k, and rtx 2070. After extensively testing your API this is my conclusion. My go to settings after testing every possible combination of OXR/NVIDIA/TAA combination possible are as follows:

OXR resolution 150%
Reprojection enabled (i can live with the artefacts for the sake of total smoothness)
TAA 75%

No matter how i applied the NIS API the result is always the same. Itā€™s just not worth the aliasing it produces even on low sharpening levels (10-20%), and most definitelly not on higher sharpening levels (40%+). The performance however is worse which of course should make sense.

Iā€™ve noticed you saying in one of the replies that you have not yet experimented using a higher OXR resolution and downscaling that through ingame TAA resolution.

I find that on my headset OXR 150% (which translates into 2648x2648) and ingame TAA set at 75% or 80% (which translates into the final resolution of 1986x1986 and cca 2100x2100 respectedly) gives me superior clarity AND performance versus ANYTHING which involves leaving the OXR at 100% (much less lowering it below 100%).

I have tried extensively to produce better results using your API to lower the 150% OXR at the same rate as with ingame TAA. That is, setting the NIS at 75%. And the end result (performance wise and visually) is no doubt below par to non-NIS settings.

At 100% oxr the benefits of using NIS are however very clear. Like you said, even in just passthrough mode there are clear benefits in clarity. So, while i cannot judge if this might help a headset with a higher native resolution such as the G2, i have my reservations nontheless since thereā€™s a heap of users who are running 200 oxr, 50 TAA even on G2.

I really really appreciate your efforts in this but it would seem to me that this simulatorā€™s main priority is getting DLSS, which seems like the only thing that would simultaneously help towards the two main problems of the renderer. One is performance, the other is the aliasing on autogen buildings. So i strongly encourage and (actually beg lol) you to focus your efforts and vast knowledge you have into that specfic area.

I would be very thanful if you took the time to try out the high OXR settings. I know it may seem counterintuitive in terms how the resolution translates through scaling but the loss of details is really not noticable, the increase in clarity (aliasing) and performance however is heaps above 100% oxr settings. Even just 110-120% OXR produces incredible improvement.

Best regards to your and a big thank you for your efforts.

3 Likes

OXR set to 70 and in-game rendering set to 70 results in just about 50% of your headsetā€™s native resolution being rendered. If you set OXR and in-game resolutions to both 100%, Iā€™d suspect that youā€™ll need to start by setting NIS to 50% and then work up in slow increments until you start to see stuttering again.

I can confirm that this works and has done wonders for me on my Samsung Odyssey HMD+ [i7 2600 - GTX1080 - 16gb]. Thank you!

2 Likes

If not for anything else, the chase to get this to work have given me far better result then i was previously settled with regarding performance.
To get the desired look and flow the secret for me was in the settings within sim + oxr.
Never had these high fps and detail levels even not running nis and have saved my cfg file for later use when i screw it up again.

Last two days i have teated and tested again to smooth it out and todays flight over Paris was jaw-dropping.

I really dont demand and expect more than this, but i will reinstall nis again this evening to see what it does to my already 10/10 config.
If i get the distortions in far distance i noticed during initial testing its basically just to unistall again.

Can you send me your log file? %LocalAppData%\XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_nis_scaler.log. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. I have spent a couple of days on a similar approach to get DLSS to work. While I could create an OpenXR API layer that enabled a test application to use DLSS, it did not work with Flight Simulator. This is because Flight Simulator does not provide enough to OpenXR (it does not submit its depth buffer info). Until the game adds that (which is also useful for improving reprojection), supporting DLSS is just too big of a mess/effort. Iā€™ll revisit this effort if and when the game adds depth buffer submission.

8 Likes

Very interesting, thanks for your testing.
Did you give the info to Asobo?

You overestimate Asoboā€™s willingess to listen to the developers :frowning:
Some VR bugs, for which experienced devs like @CptLucky8 provided detalied descriptions of the bugs or improper implementations, with suggestions how to fix them, remain unresolved a year already. They either ignore or pretend they donā€™t understand the issues. This is hard to understand for me, they are like Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde: during the Q&A sessions thay act like passionate an open minded devs, truly devoted to flight simming and their product. At the same time they igonore the obvious issues and the people offering them help.

9 Likes

Just to be clear, while it worked for a test application, I had not done any perf work/measurement. One of the challenges of DLSS is that it requires to compute motion vectors, something that is much more efficiently done by the application itself (and that the application already does for TAA). In addition, the OpenXR runtime also already computes them. So to implement DLSS externally like that would require to compute those motion vectors a 3rd timeā€¦ So it is quite possible that the performance improvements of DLSS could be totally nullified by the complex ā€œover-re-computationsā€ here, and my approach is just flawed from the beginning. For now I will focus on other work and revisit in a while (and hopefully will have depth submission by then).

4 Likes

FSX had its depth buffer available for shaders, so thereā€™s hope.

Me? Will do