PC simmers should mourn the passing of MSFS 2020

Probably. It’s like riding Greyhound Bus. They are the only game in town. XP maybe also…

2 Likes

SPLUTTER… What! Now there’s coffee everywhere!

On Oculus Rift S - I have noticed a greatly-improved frame rate. I managed to make a flight from KSAN up to KLAX the other day and had no freeze up at all. I pushed it hard using the Extra stunt plane. I was quite impressed. But they have ruined night lighting completely for me. I have no ground building lights, but the ground is glowing. I’m patiently waiting for a fix. Like one person said up there, I’ll still be using it in a year even though Ive complained otherwise in the past. I have found the sim to be frustrating but when it works, it’s really phenomenal. I also find that one day it works great, and the next day, not so much. Then great again another day and so forth. Not sure what causes this. Overall I am happy with this sim even in VR. I know it will only get better. Its not like they are intentionally trying to ruin the sim I suppose.

Rift S has a much lower resolution than my Reverb G2 so I’m sure the graphical downgrades are not as noticeable. Yes, the framerates are better, but for me I had a perfectly smooth setup before with great graphics. It was an overall excellent experience Pre-Sim Update 5.

Now we have better FPS, but with horrendous long distance graphics due to the LOD/draw distance changes. I’d give anything to go back to Sim Update 4. Remember the FPS gains had to come from somewhere, and it definitely was NOT coding optimizations…my experience and own eyes confirms that. It’s simply not the same game nor experience anymore.

2 Likes

Yeah I have noticed differences now, but not sure what they are. I was always getting 30-second freeze-ups every 2 minutes, but not anymore (so far). Right after I went to SU6, I saw a huge graphics improvement. But within two days, something changed. I havent really changed settings.

I was thinking about getting an Oculus Quest 2. I had a Reverb but sold it.

This hurts:

1 Like

Well said!

Before SU5 I often said “WOW!”, where now I say “nice” (as in “nice” being the little sister of sh…).
And I clearly remember them saying that there would be headroom for even better fidelity after XBox release. So it’s back to hoping I guess…

Personally I’ve not seen any downgrade of the sim throughout. Owned from day 1 both on a laptop and then on a better home built machine.

3 Likes

Me too. Well…I actually did upgrade.

Mourn? No. Not so much. DCS runs exceptionally well on my new hardware and looks stunning. IL-2 in VR, smooth as butter in the middle of the most frenzied dogfights.

So, I’m enjoying my hardware investment. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, a little peremptory perhaps but Flag you? No, not I.
I broadly agree with you.
But is this notion of an XBox conspiracy a thing?
Oh faux gods, spare me.

1 Like

I chuckle every time someone post is negative about the XBox, clearly implying the XBox isn’t a PC. Cleary the XBox is a PC that provides a unique standardized centralized user experience platform design to gain monthly subscriptions. It’s easier for developers to code for the XBox platform than the many variations of PC platforms that are in their environment architecturally speaking. BTW, I do not own an XBox. I play on an Alienware Desktop.

2 Likes

But users have been repeatedly encouraged to buy better hardware in order to get the best result.

I don’t understand the doom and gloom in this post. Further optimizations allow lower-end and mid-tier computers to the run this sim at a respectable performance. A very small user base of MSFS is running top-tier systems and the vast majority are not running 3090s or 3080s. Are we really complaining opening acceptable performance to lower-end PC users is the death of this game?

I have a 3090 and a Ryzen 5950X, and I absolutely encourage additional performance optimizations, even if it means some tradeoffs. Those same optimizations also help my system, as MSFS2020 post-SU5 can still bring my rig to its knees at certain settings (running with LOD=6 for example). It’s only been a month since SU5 was released, and Asobo has already responded to the complaints by including the new offscreen caching option for PC users. Let them continue development before “mourning the passing.”

3 Likes

100% this!

3 Likes

Im starting to wonder how much internet connection speeds play in framerates. Ive been going up and down even though I pay for fast internet. Some days the sim is lightning fast, and other days it isn’t.

Some great posts today, and this is right up there. Well said

What a load of rubbish.

Seems working fine on my PC. Currently it’s much better than a year ago.

To be fair, the Xbox is a fine platform. I don’t regret ditching my last PC over a decade ago (for all the fights I used to have with software, configuration issues, drivers, etc).

(and isn’t the OP a tad melodramatic? :thinking: )

1 Like

Think the wife found the GPU receipt when doing the laundry :joy:

1 Like