Photogrammetry for every national park in US update

To be honest, I thought the arches looked kind of terrible against the base scenery. These weird smooth lumps that jut awkwardly from a low resolution landscape. I backlit them to hide all of that when I got these screenshots.

I think it’s too much to ask Asobo to remake all of these features. There’s an entire world out there, and they only have the time and resources to give us a handful of things to look at. When they have to rush to move on to the next thing, sloppiness is the result.

Instead I think the users themselves need to make this scenery. Rather than amassing more and more add-ons in the community folder, we need to keep voting up and asking about the Scenery Gateway system: users contribute to the base simulator scenery that’s downloaded by all users. Such a system needs to allow importing of custom 3D models, which then hopefully get incorporated into the scenery that’s streamed to the client, rather than downloaded as part of the base sim during an update in those huge packages. This is probably going to require a bit of an overhaul of the simulator as any custom scenery that is not on Bing Maps must be downloaded to the client rather than streamed. However, if we want the world to really come alive, the answer is having the thousands of us players out there make it ourselves.

3 Likes