Pilot-controlled lighting (PCL)

Just saying. When I flew around and directly over the runway about four times, could see nothing except two faint lights at each end of the runway the first time I flew over it. The last time’, when I saw the other aircraft, both sides of the entire length of the runway were lit up. So something took place to cause them to turn on.

This is one feature that would give real life to so many uncontrolled fields and is very much a great training tool. It can be done as Bill Womack of iBlueYonder did it for Minute Man Field 6B6 but it was in XPlane11. Really would like to see more votes for this feature.

2 Likes

I’m 99.9% certain it wasn’t, maybe in 3rd party addons like pilot activated hangar doors.

I was on the FSX beta team, the FS11 design advisory board and wrote game design documents for DTG’s FSFS and FSW. As far as I recall it was never a feature of FSX outside of the 3rd party community.

The dev process was FSX → Microsoft Flight [cancelled] → FSX → Dovetail Games 64 bit port of FSX for FSW → Asobo.

Having said all that I also vote for PAL. YBAF in Brisbane has it.

Archerfield Airport’s runway lighting is a combined Aerodrome Frequency Response Unit (AFRU) and Pilot Activated Aerodrome Lighting (PAL) that becomes available when CTAF procedures apply (outside air traffic control hours).

Archerfield Airport’s AFRU-PAL frequency has been changed to 118.1 – the same frequency as CTAF frequency.

Effective immediately during CTAF procedures, please activate the airfield lighting by using the 1 SEC MAX method as above.

Activating the Archerfield Airport PAL (AFRU+PAL) requires a reasonably quick activation to be completed
within 5 seconds during CTAF:

1 SEC MAX
1 SEC MAX
1 SEC MAX
1 SEC MAX
1 SEC MAX

Basically key the mic 5 times within 5 seconds.