Pixelated and grainy clouds are back starting with 1.14.5.0

@Jummivana Jayne, I know this was not your decision but in the most recent Dev update this issue has been completely removed, after being wrongly labeled as “fixed”. This is really disappointing and comes across as very disrespectful to us customers who love this sim and simply want communication and acknowledgment of this issue and to know it is being taken seriously. It appears that we have just been ‘blown off’ and pushed aside.

Please communicate with the dev team regarding these decisions and get back to us so we aren’t kept so in the dark.

2 Likes

Not sure where you are getting that from.
There are many comparisons between MSFS, real world forecasts, and even weather cameras here.

Yes, and the snow problem has also been fixed.

I do see some improvements, though not sure if they are due to my settings or a recent patch, however, dark clouds are still pixelated regardless.

After the latest update I’m happy to say my clouds now look perfect with no pixelation, no matter the color of the clouds. The live Weather also seems to have improved drastically compared to the previous version.

Looking at some of the recent screenshots here, I think the bigger problem is the cloud shadows looking grainy in specific lighting conditions. It happens quite often with terrain shadows as well.

The clouds themselves seem to have about the same amount of grain as they did at launch, so there’s probably not much they can do at this point. In the last Q&A, they said that as they optimise the engine, they plan to enable a higher sample count for the clouds, which should not only allow for new cloud types, but also make the grain less noticeable.

While I too would have liked a better explanation for this request being removed from the Feedback Snapshot, it is very unlikely that they just ignored it because they do a full reevaluation of the items every few weeks.

You have my envy my friend.

1 Like

Still see the pixelated/grainy clouds often regardless settings used, including editing film grain.

Bit off topic but often mentioned - clouds in general:
They look pretty bad lately and rarely resemble screenshots from release and builds following in my opinion. So bad in fact, I don’t even care to fly within MSFS much if at all… probably the most dated part of this sim compared to the surrounding world. Recall a few patch notes hinting at cloud changes but not sure if it is related since the devs rarely provide detail on changes.

i9-10850k
RTX 3080 OC
128gb DDR4-3200
SSD and M.2 NVMe
Nvidia CP: Highest Quality, Maximum Performance, etc.
MSFS: full screen, 1440p, Ultra preset, Bloom OFF, etc.

Clouds around that area look nothing like this today and these are just an eyesore.

1 Like

There is nothing else to add…
Grainy Cloud for a while and nothing has changed…
Are you guys experiencing the same clouds ?
All settings on “high”
RTX 2070 / i7 9700k / 32gb

3 Likes

In some lighting conditions, yes, my clouds look the same as your pictures. Ultra settings. 2080 graphics card.

More annoying though for me is that I can still see the sun through a thick overcast layer!

4 Likes

i had the same thinks, but what inoing me most its grainy reflection

1 Like

Yep. Same here.

Sometimes it looks like it’s ash from a volcano. Just not very convincing.

I do think it has improved a bit over the past months. But it can do with some more TLC.

2 Likes

Clouds always seem out of focus for me in msfs. They have this blur on the edges. Not very crisp and not wispy at all. Hope dx12 brings some improvements.

Disable sharpen in post processing section in the cfg file and use another program to depict sharpening, perhaps Nvidia or my personal preference reshade, made a huge difference for me.

and disable FilmGrain

{PostProcess
Enabled 1
EyeAdaptation 1
ColorGrading 1
Sharpen 0
Fringe 1
LensDistortion 1
Dirt 1
LensFlare 1
FilmGrain 0
Vignette 1
LensBlurMultiplier 1.000000
FringeMultiplier 1.000000
}

Nvidia driver ver. 465.89

I absolutely agree with you. It kind of blows my mind still after a decade of ActiveSky being available that this was the best that could be done with weather. One thing I miss in p3d are the HD cloud textures from Active Sky Cloud Art…

4 Likes

Holy ■■■■ that looks good!

I have some old FSX screenshots with mods I was looking back at.

1 Like

It’s a night and day difference… I just can’t get past the fact that more wasn’t done to build out clouds.

Just a few seconds (to fit in the limit) and a shot from yesterday, but that’s more than enough
All of this in set ultra settings and I was about 55fps when recorded

You can also try to reset hue and saturation settings of your monitor in the monitors own menu or try with the filter overlays of the graphics card for nvidia its left alt key + F3 ther you can setup 3 profiles. Here you can make clouds more fluffy. You have to experiment with this there is also different types of sharpening which one is of your own choice.
Try before reply