Please 3rd parties, be original

Well, the developers who actually do market research and track their own sales would very much disagree with your opinion. I’m happy you feel that way, but, they’re going to tell you the demand for standard GA aircraft far outstrips the “off-axis” planes many of us would like to see.

As much as we like to see unique stuff, their job is to put food on their families’ tables.

1 Like
1 Like

Because they’ve been at it for a long time, and they know their market, and they know what sells. Combine that with a product they are familiar with, and, the answer is about as simple as that.

Msfs’ default GA planes are noob version with many not working instruments & slow maintenance (updates) of the aircraft due to asobo have to focus to bug fixing & creating new features to the simulator as well.

While 3rd party creating duplicate GA planes with more detailed working instruments & fast maintenance (fast updates) due to 3rd party developers only focus on their GA plane products. (Their involving real life pilots, real life aircraft engineers, QA testers, etc)

Well, some of the 3rd party brand’s GA plane products are just (frankenstein aircraft) garbage tho… so do research first before u purchase.

This is completely false. Please do not make claims about goals we (FBW) have never stated.

4 Likes

Good luck with that then.

Thanks for the encouragement, if that was not sarcasm.

You see we kind of have this issue with the project, where people think that the goal of the A32NX project is to propose a “good enough”’ everyday simulation of the aircraft. Now of course, the project is one year old and not based on pre-existing platforms, so the current state is that of a moderate fidelity aircraft.

But I can assure you the end goal and the design behind the existing features are planned for something much, MUCH better than that (and it was always that way - for months now). And I hope we can talk to you guys about it soon.

You will be surprised.

4 Likes

i think there is absolutely nothing wrong with a developer “duplicating” one (or more) of the aircraft already available in MSFS.

Example: the SR22 is a very popular GA aircraft in the real world. The MSFS model is not very good. A developer that took the time to do one correctly (Eaglesoft had a model for FSX that was excellent) would likely have a good following.

When the MilViz Cessna 310 is released it will be a day-one purchase for me. Same with the PMDG 737.

What I am looking for are well done models. Even if they are not precisely “study level” (Carenado comes to mind) I’ll welcome any addition to MSFS that “moves the bar” to the next level. General Aviation or airliners or military or crop dusters… it’s all good! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The market only needs one A230!!! One that works as an A320 should!

Whilst there are not massive differences in operation, the FBW Airbus is a NEO and the Fenix is a CEO.

What we really need are some detailed long haulers now. Sorry but the salty 747 mod and the HD 787 mods whilst they are amazing, are not enough!

PMDG 777 will take care of that hopefully around New Year’s… then 747. I am waiting for someone to do A350 eventually as well as FBW A380!

We also have a Super Connie on the way some time this year, I believe. The Clipper is coming too, though not sure when.

1 Like

I really want a C-119 Flying Boxcar. I’ve been in love with that bird ever since I saw the opening scenes of the Flight of the Phoenix remake.

1 Like

I think it’s HIGH TIME we had aircraft launched and in service THIS CENTURY, if not this decade, now that we have a sim which is capable of accurately portraying 21st century systems.
The 3rd party developers who are sticking to their “tried and tested” vintage aircraft just aren’t capable of creating modern glass cockpits, and they continue to release their “tried and tested” vintage aircraft for people who can’t handle modern glass cockpits anyway. It’s a dwindling market, and some of those 3rd party developers are now retiring as well.
The flight sim community is not going attract and keep new simmers to the hobby with many of the ancient steam gauge contraptions we’ve seen released this year - the first question new simmers ask is “how do I fly an ILS on autopilot with this plane?”.
My own view on 3rd party aircraft is this: No Autopilot with GS - No Sale.

1 Like

That’s because it’s going to take a couple of years to properly model modern glass cockpits with the MSFS gauge system. I assume you saw that 6 people have put 3000 man hours (that’s over 3 months of full time development for 6 people) into the WT NXi Garmin gauge, and they’re only partially there.

I’m assuming you want a fully detailed modern airliner glass cockpit and aircraft systems? That will take a huge team a couple of years to develop, as there is no porting for MSFS cockpits. It’s a brand new development model, and, they can’t use external programs directly (but they can program in C++/WASM/HTML).

Granted, PMDG has probably well over a year’s development time on their coming aircraft (nearly 2?), so, maybe you’ll get what you’re looking for by Christmas.

2 Likes

There are a large number of modern light aircraft to executive aircraft which have been studiously ignored by flight sim developers for decades because of their "glass cockpit phobia ".

1 Like

Have you asked any of them why they have this “phobia”? There’s plenty of developers out there to speak to about it. Some even are here on this forum.

1 Like

So I’m from FBW and I would not be considered a developer who has been around for long at all. After all, we’ve been around for a year - but we have a lot of experience building accurate displays in MSFS…

The reality is that while developing a simple glass cockpit is not that much work in itself if you know what you are doing, making an accurate glass cockpit is something that requires much, MUCH more technical references and data than a steam gauge panel.

I mean inherently, a screen has much more complex elements and behavior than an analog gauge - analog gauges are not generally tied to display computers that compute symbology based on ARINC 429 data.

If you want to reproduce the feel of an IRL glass unit, you will need the following things:

• a lot of IRL material (photos, videos) of someone navigating the menus and pages of the display. While you might get a general description of the displays in the AFM/FCOM, you will soon realize two things: the accompanying graphics are for reference only and often look nothing like the image that would be shown IRL; and there is a lot of missing documentation on fine details and debug / maintenance pages.

• the technical references that are needed to build an accurate display are nothing that is generally available to even pilots

• there’s a lot that goes into reproducing the “feel” of a display - animations, delays, even graphical glitches

• glass cockpit generally kills performance in any sim unless you spend a lot of time optimizing

You might say not everyone is trying to be extremely accurate - but someone who is aiming to provide a high fidelity product with intricate details can much more easily make such a claim with a steam gauge aircraft, than a glass cockpit plane. It’s just less work.

3 Likes

We’ve had access to some figures from ms and lets just say the market is overwhelmingly in favor of GA and airliners, and generally “simple” simulations.

3 Likes

In my case its not really a phobia, i just hate them thats all :smiley: I cant see the charm in them, but each to their own i guess!

4 Likes

I appreciate your reply, thank you, but not everyone is interested in a study level glass cockpit - I’m certainly not and Carenado’s G1000’s in previous sims were good enough for some to build home cockpits around, in spite of the performance issues experienced by others.
The MSFS default GA glass cockpits are easily equal to Carenado’s payware G1000’s and now include the G3000 and Collins Pro Line systems, which could surely be aliased into a payware model in the same way that entire default cockpits have been aliased by some developers already - with a recommendation to also use the excellent Working Title mods of course.
I think that method would be much easier than developing a steam gauge cockpit from scratch, sorry but I just don’t buy the “steam gauges are less work” excuse.
@ LeprechaunLive, figures can be made to prove anything! Many old-school simmers have been conditioned by now to expect nothing but steam gauge aircraft, but some developers are now finding that this sim no longer supports some of the antiquated systems which those old timer classics used.
The old-school simmers can vote for steam gauge classic planes in their dozens, but times have changed, and so has the wider target audience demographic for MSFS.

1 Like

also, lets not forget that its less a case of not having the tools or skills, but more a case of the devellopment time being extremely long on those really intricate simulations

3 Likes