Please Fix Photogrammetry and/or LOD

Played on one console. Made a Pic. Shut it down completely. Started upstairs the other console and MfS and made a Pic. OK… i did not run 2 Systems the Same time…

1 Like

Ok, so now we learn that it wasn’t the same time… :stuck_out_tongue:

Agreed…this needs fixing and/or some transparency about changes made.

I’m away from the PC at the moment, but I did several test flights today trying to solve the PG problem over London. Everything suggested here…Ipv6 off, DNS flush, DNS change from ISP provider. Nothing worked.

And then I noticed something…as I looked over my shoulder in the centre of London…2000ft, C172…I noticed that the PG was melting in very much visual range of the aircraft behind me.

My conclusion: even with TLOD 400/OLOD 200, these values have been decimated. Let that sink in: using the maximum values I can set PG still forms from a melted mess in front of me, and returns to the same not long after I pass (within a shoulder view from the cockpit)

I set TLOD to 8 in the CFG…much better PG, but the performance tanks. But no return to melted scenery just behind the aircraft.

So Asobo/MS…did all of the performance boost we got (just in time for the XBox launch) simply come from completely neutering LOD values, rather than actually optimising the simulator?

I have an X, some of the time I get PG like your first pics but more often it looks like the second set.

How are they connected, wired ethernet or wifi? If the latter you could be getting very different network performance, especially packet drops, which would certainly cause the bad PG.

My xbox is on ethernet on a very reliable broadband so I know that’s not my issue.

Pretty sure Asobo mentioned somewhere that around 10mbps is utilised when steaming data from servers. So, anything above 10mbpd, you’re good.

Almost everyone is getting scenery morphing and stuttering, buildings and objects not loading properly. It’s an issue on Asobo’s part and I’m sure a fix will eventually come.

2 Likes

LAN
400 Mbps Download and 25 Mbps Upload

I believe the photogrammetry quality varies from city to city. London is a common offender… it just doesn’t want to load properly even if you visit it multiple times and have rolling cache enabled.

The Italian cities load quite well bit hiccup and stutter like anything e.g. The American or Australian cities I almost never have a problem with.

1 Like

I have a RTX 3090, a 12900KF processor and the bangs and whistles to go with it. London is the chief offender, you can fly in a circle all day long and the buildings still wont load properly. Paris is a forest as is Italy and most of Australia.
Maybe just me but everywhere i fly now, the photogrammetry has glitches all over, the clouds are far worse and everywhere you go the trees and vegetation are 10 times the size they should be, i assume because Asobo know the buildings, roads etc are not loading correctly so use the vegitation to cover them.
The Sim fell apart for me after the introduction of SU5 and the support of an XBox version. It has got steadily worse since. The trees cant get any bigger you think, then with each PC update they do.

2 Likes

the more people will use this the more fat servers will required, so if people’s quantity will grow faster than server’s capacity then more problems we’ll got. so in my opinion they have to work on blackshark technology and improve it too. that’s mean add more patterns objects, more flexible forms for them and with that’s way it’s will good alternative till server’s throughput will enough for all users any time. best alternative i think is improve blackshark way + add more and more original static objects, that’s will on our disks or their servers or wherever… when use phg it’s melt if use no phg half of ny without buildings with melted textures.

3 Likes

It could be the longer draw distance on Series X.

Longer draw distance means it will try to download a bigger area of PG data. That can quickly overwhelm your network. I’ve done tests over London and depending on available bandwidth (from server to your house) smaller draw distance can give higher quality PG data, but in a smaller area of course. Setting the draw distance further out I got a bigger area but all at lower quality.

Your connection is probably not the issue. It also depends on how busy the server is. During my tests sometimes I only got 40 mbps from the server, sometimes over 100 mbps. (London needs even more than that to remain stable quality at max draw distance)

It could also be speed. I see you’re using a jet, that’s a huge strain on fetching data in time. If it clears up while paused (game should keep updating the data) then it simply can’t keep up at the speed you’re flying at.

PG does work on both in your pictures. Yet you only see the medium detail level on Series X, either due to flying too fast, or the server to client environment was too slow for too big of a draw distance.

3 Likes

DUMB you ■■■■■■■ my connection

Which bit broke it? You can run this command to get the current state of the Toredeo config:

netsh int teredo show state

For me that is:

Teredo Parameters

Type : disabled
Server Name : win1910.ipv6.microsoft.com.
Client Refresh Interval : 30 seconds
Client Port : unspecified
State : offline
Error : none

Look at this nice look in the distance when photogrammetry is off, this is with a little bit of zoom.
No triangles, no weird shapes, nights pretty much is the same with photogrammetry off.

I think Blackshark is in dire need of an update, or Asobo needs to fix the LOD’s in a way the buildings keep their shapes but lose tinier details from a distance.

3 Likes

Hello,
Are you referring to photogrammetry buildings?

yes I am, the generated buildings and other objects that come with photogrammetry.

Here is an example of it enabled, the shot above is photogrammetry OFF and bing data ON (the one in the first post)

1 Like

Another example : Photogrammetry enabled you see many weird shapes and triangles, spikes etc

ON:

OFF:

1 Like

For all intents and purposes, Photogrammetry is essentially part of the terrain mesh and that’s why the terrain LOD setting affects its quality and render distance.

I haven’t seen this yet with photogrammetry OFF.
i’ll give it another look with lower LOD levels.