Please let us have a pause mode that actually freezes time

Fair enough… I could see somehting like Active Sky working in that scenario.

And if the Autopilot is active the plane appears to slow down and stall. Let’s just PAUSE the sim.

2 Likes

It’s there, but not assigned:

- Search for SET PAUSE OFF and SET PAUSE ON. I assigned P to PAUSE ON and control-P to PAUSE OFF (yes, you need two keys) but you can assign anything you want, of course.

1 Like

Time still advances under that mode. I’ve tried all three pause types (pause on/off, active pause, and menu pause). All of them don’t stop the time.

Pause on/off do, however, freeze the plane’s simulation so you won’t stall or overspeed while paused.

So, if you have choice realTime (mode), I think its normal (time is changing -> weather -> other aircrafts positions etc.) I that case your plane is freezed, but world are still live.

Maybe you mean:

• Flight Timmer?
  • Achievement counter?

Its anothers good question:

• How ATC will handle it in realmode, hmm.
  • Crash accident vs Frozen aircraft.

On the TBM-930 (did not test with others), the timer still running when I’m on “Pause” with the “pause” button or by pressing escape. What is very annoying if you need to pause for a while. The time you spent for your flight is then totally wrong.3

When on active pause, I think the aircraft systems are still flying even though the graphics/position is not changing. It therefore makes sense that the timer continues to operate along with the other systems. This has been a complaint since at lease Alpha 4.

There is a ‘half’ workaround for this listed here reference another mappable key command for a more traditional (but not quite) pause option:

The reason it’s called “Active Pause” is entirely that - everything remains active except for your aircraft position, and I presume it allows you to adjust your avionics etc. which can be useful for learning & practising during a busy approach etc.

I also see the value of a true pause, but I wonder if they took this approach to avoid trouble with some of the multiplayer aspects. For example, if you use “Live” mode I believe you’re locked to using real world time. This is the option that says it gives the most authentic experience. How then should the game respond if you pause it mid-flight? Your in-game time will start to fall behind everyone else’s; maybe that has implications which we aren’t aware of yet. These are my thoughts as a new user anyway. I don’t have the experience of the Alpha/Beta testers.

I hope we will see a simpler/clearer approach to the pause options in future, even if it somehow differs by the ‘online’ mode selected, but I’m sure there are some reasons for their design choices.

1 Like

In active pause maybe but when pressing “Escape” it makes no sense.

This issue also occurs in “regular” pause, and also when pressing escape to get into the menus.

Active pause is probably nice to take some videos and watch the nice weather evolve. From a practical flying POV I find it rather annoying though.
If you’re in a climb you might end up in a stall. If you’re descending, prepare to find yourself in an overspeed situation. If you are away for a while, better watch out for a nearby field as you might have run out of fuel.

The actual „pause“ feature (Esc) always brings the menu up.

In all earlier versions we could just pause, hence halt the sim. Still being able to manipulate controls and use all cameras.

Anyone who is missing this? I am.

3 Likes

Rather than active pause, you may want to use the key binding for “SET PAUSE ON”.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/pause-aint-working/128782/8?u=juicebox7535

1 Like

You should use real pause, like JuiceBox7535 suggested… Those are unassigned bindings, and you should assign keys you want to use…

You can pause without menu - Flyby camera?
My problem is that you then cant manipulate the drone which is essential for good screenshots.

Use real pause then. No active pause.

Ok, not sure how I could have missed that one. Actually I do know, because once again that filter defaulted to ASSIGNED and not ALL.

Still, some observations:
It’s a joke there is no more simple “toggle pause” key binding available.
It’s still no real pause. The aircraft freezes, yes, but the time and weather still advances. Look at the watch before and after you enter pause.

Hence, my request should be rephrased: Give us a real pause back, with a simple toggle for a (one) keystroke. No need to waste two keys for pausing and unpausing.

1 Like

Your plane is totally paused, not the world… You can’t pause life, can you?
But you can take pictures, and your plane will continue from where you left it after you unpause…
I’m sorry my English isn’t good enough, but there is a BIG difference between active pause and real pause…

1 Like

I’m not sure what you are trying to say. You also can’t fly a 747, can you? Yet in the sim you can. What’s your point.

There is virtually no difference in active pause to normal pause except for the plane being completely frozen, as opposed to active pause which is way more like a lat/lon freeze. No other difference I can think of. Makes no sense. It’s completely useless if you do a flight and perform a fuel check, just to see that you are on fuel but sadly an hour behind your schedule because you were paused for an hour and the time continues to run in the background. Pause should be pause and nothing else, PAUSING the sim and not freezing the plane while the simulation continues to run. For other purposes we’ve always had seperate lat/lon and altitude freeze.

2 Likes

If you say so… Probably they have made those pause options just for fun…?
Wise ■■■

I can see what MittelJupiter is looking for, and if you are flying in for example FSEconomy it would be quite important to pause not only the plane but the sim itself, if not your flight time will be longer than it should be, and you will be charged for rental for an extra hour or whatever you paused for.