Please put away your pitchforks

You purchased a game knowing that it requires an internet connection for it’s online features. A game that proudly marketed itself as an online experience that pulls data from the cloud for scenery, live online weather data, live real world air traffic. You knew what you were buying. The point Ash made is still valid.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too. If you don’t want your sim to update, buy a physical copy and install it on a PC that never connects to the internet.

Problem solved, no more forced updates.

2 Likes

Whilst I do see that, at the moment, there are many issues that make people angry, I can’t help but be entertained by the small percentage of the baying mob that are pretty much shouting:

“This build has RUINED my sim! Give me back the previous build… that, when IT was first released, I claimed had ‘ruined my sim’ and demanded the previous version back…”

4 Likes

I agree with some of your post, and opinion. There is one thing though. The people that have been watching this over the past two years may have a different opinion. Its been a year, and the people that have been here through Alpha builds, beta builds, seen what was advertised in 2019, are out of patience.

3 Likes

This forum is great (possibly best thing about this sims community) with so many people trying to help for problems , which itself shows the passion of the community and shoddy QUALITY CONTROL from PAID sw . I use caps cuz the original post did as well . Passionate community + Asobo has failed to keep up their QoS for over a year = upset/hate to vent the said upset will happen . You dont want the hate well then fix your Q/A see how then magically hate disappears.

1 Like

every single time there is an update, some people want to go back to the previous one, so nothing new here… any “I want to go back” statement is just same old, same old and will probably be completely ignored.

Many issues with the new update…NOT ALL… are due to people not reading the release notes… see all the issues about blue controls or mouse cursor not working etc…

Many issues are low connectivity… just because you have a private T1 connection is also completely irrelevant… it’s whatever is the slowest leg between you and the server and the worst issue is where there are multiple routes to the server and the download packets get oiut of synch with each other… thats why many fix the downloads by forcing a lower speed on their connection.

Many issues are caused by people attempting to overclock something since overclocking was also the holy grail for previous sims… trouble is, 90% of people don’t actually know how to reliably overclock.

Many issues are caused by people runnig out of date mods or out of date marketplace downloads, or just running at a spec that is higher than their machine can reliably support.

Finally there may be some issues for some which are not any of the above and those are the ones that will be concentrated on… not all the “woe is me this product is ■■■■” comments :slight_smile:

If you really have an issue… log it with Zendesk and then follow up on that… I have done this 4 times in the last year, with the details as requested by Zendesk, and all 4 issues were solved in less than 3 days per issue, and mostly the next day, including one which became a hotfix.

It’s not really free if we bought an incomplete game under the promise that it would be actively developed to the level it was advertised. It’s like Microsoft launched this in a minimally viable state and sold it under credit. It was like a Kickstarter from a major corporation. Folks aren’t looking a gift horse in the mouth. They’re asking for what they paid for.

Sure they can. This is what the large scale alpha and beta tests were for. These issues were identified in testing. For some reason, the release date is set in stone. So it comes off to many folks as if they’re being ignored and that the testing was an empty, token gesture.

Seeing that polite requests and ZenDesk tickets are largely ineffective, and that it is instead the clamor of angry villagers that most promptly spurs Asobo into action, I say keep those pitchforks out.

12 Likes

That’s the case for some problems but not all. What about broken AI without nose gear and unable to depart? That is the most obvious and visible bug but for some reason Asobo still decided to push the update. If they didn’t know about it than their internal testing group needs an eye doctor.

2 Likes

Sorry but you are quite misinformed on software companies.
Everything listed above is perfectly doable, and it is done by Microsoft everyday for all their products.

I’ll give you a real life example to illustrate this point:

I am currently running a Beta version of Windows 11. It is the next version of Windows. It is not available for the general public at the moment.

Yet this not yet released product is much more stable than MSFS Update Five.
The upgrade process from W10 was a breeze.
Never had any crash.
Etc…

The reason is the Windows program is managed by people who know how to release quality products in 2021.

Microsoft has the experience, talent, the processes and the systems required to do proper QA, QC and testing before putting products out to market.

Maybe Asobo being a smaller French company, it does not have the kind of resources or experience Microsoft has.

But we have purchased a Microsoft Flight Simulator Product.

This release is too painful to be acceptable. And some of us have invested hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars in HW to use this sim because we trusted the brand.

No customer should ever be treated this way, ever, anywhere, anytime.

Thank you.

11 Likes

my favorite, are the Ships at Gates with Aircraft Textures. LOL

“Tower, EVERGREEN 34 heavy, runway too short”

But you do agree that having issues in Windows is a little bit worse than having issues in MSFS?

The effort put in stability and testing is proportional (or even exponential) to the impact you’d have releasing it untested.
Companies will always seek for the least amount of work and we witness the result of it.
It’s not like most of the issues were unknown to Asobo/MS, it’s just that they released the update despite knowing them due to the timeline for XBox release.
And since I can’t imagine the outcry if XBox had gotten a newer version than PC users, they decided to bind these releases together from now on.

Interestingly turning off IPv6 (again) but after a switch reboot seems to have solved this. Go figure.

Ah nice glad you got it sorted. I never tried turning it off, I reinstalled and reset network adapters, router, modem, adjusted MTU and pretty much everything but that. Oh well, kind of nice having a fresh install of windows I guess haha

I am sorry to disappoint you but I don’t.
Customers have to be treated with respect.
Spending countless hours debugging a product because it was rushed without proper quality assurance, quality control and testing is unacceptable.
Whether it is Windows or MSFS that has a bug it is the customer’s TIME that is spend debugging a failed product.

Sometimes a bug here or there is unavoidable.
In this case some beta testers have disclosed on this forum that Asobo was made aware of the issues and went ahead with the release anyhow.

They released the update knowing our time was going to be wasted?
Sorry but that is a bridge too far.

5 Likes

Totally agree with your sentiment :slight_smile:

If you degrade the visual quality of the product you sold to the people and refuse to admit it or even talk about it - you will gate the peoples hate. It is quite simple as that. What frustrates me the most is the ignorant attitude from the Asobo regarding changes in visual quality on distant objects and distant ground textures resolution. If my sim looks like FS2004 from FL300 - I have the full right to be angry and request an explanation.

5 Likes

That’s a wording I’d immediately agree with. :slight_smile:

Stating it in a civilized manner and pointing to issues in the process has given us the betas, more transparency in the planned fixes, Q&As etc.
But raging or even offending beta testers is something I hardly can see as justified or helpful (not talking about you but the reason for the pitchfork analogy).

1 Like

Your statements are not that accurate. I belong to a small flying community of about 11 real and simulator pilots that has used Flight simulator for over 10 years. I can assure you almost everyone in our group has read the release notes. We also have some of the most powerful computers available, so there would be very little need for overclocking.
The mods I have all been bought from the marketplace within the app. I would imagine that they would have ensured that everything in the marketplace is compatible with the sim.
One would have to be blind or completely clueless if they read everything in these posts and not understand that there are some serious issues with update 5.
I also doubt that they have enough people handling Zendesk to be able to address all the issues people are facing right now.
Luckily most of us kept the other simulators, so although we don’t have the beautiful graphics, we can actually still fly.

3 Likes

I feel maybe you are being way to complacent.

Asobo has screwed up almost every updated released. They continue to act like a software company that DOESN’T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!

I love all these posts trying to defend them. I have just given up expecting Asobo to actually do the right thing and fix their mess. Seriously if it was any other industry they would all be fired.

They are in over thir heads and apperently that will never change.

3 Likes

I’ve been incredibly disappointed to see so many supposedly mature sim pilots act in such a pathetic manner in the fallout from this update. But at least I’m confident in the kindness, intelligence, and strategic nous of Asobo to ignore the whining and misplaced hate and continue to steer the good ship MSFS through these stormy waters.

Accusations of ‘dumbing down’ are utterly nonsensical, even a cursory look at games media reviews of the Xbox version will reveal how PC focused and awkward the sim is to navigate with a controller. All the physics remain as complex as they were before, and the graphical fidelity looks much the same to me aside from some bugs with how LODs are streaming in currently. And any graphical detail issues are surely worth the near DOUBLING in performance.

They have made some mistakes in how they’ve rolled out the changes, like I think some of the new UI interaction systems like the locking thing should have been opt-in rather than on by default, that would have alleviated much of the initial frustation.

Honestly so much of this calling for the versions to be segregated is just thinly veiled console hating elitism, Asobo’s vision has always been to cater to the ‘hardcore’ but also bring the joy of flight to as many people as they can. This involves things like having extensive accessibility options, good performance on lower end systems, and console compatibility and cross play.

This does mean that they are splitting development time between catering to flight sim enthusiasts and ensuring a good experience for casual dabblers, if you don’t like that you should go find another sim.

4 Likes