Please! Some guidance

Where to find basic information on MSFS 2020. Lots of terms are thrown about with the assumption that everyone know them. MS/Asbo provides no manual or basic knowledge.

When trying to setup the sim, half the terms shot over my head (Anisotropic Texture, Depth of Field / Lens Correction, Anti Aliasing, …more.

No explanation for terms like Home-Cockpit-mode)

[HOW-TO] Graphics Settings and Performance Guide (SU5 Complete Retest) (8/2/2021) - Student Pilots / Advanced Pilot Guides - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Most of the time it is a case of trying it, watching the effect and checking the hit on performance.
Anisotropic Texture
Depth of Field
Lens Correction
Anti Aliasing

Microsoft Flight Simulator graphics settings

For flight terms head to https://epicflightacademy.com/aviation-terminology/

Yep, big failing with MSFS, no manual. They want you to go to YouTube and watch hundreds of videos to learn about it, because those folks are “sort of partners” and make money under the table. Got no problem with making money, my problem is, Asobo and MS failed us users with no manual. X-Plane, has manual at least online and free, FSX built in extremely deep help data base, free. MSFS = NOTHING.

Don’t get me started on the rest of the things which are not working properly after “18 Months” post release.

Yes, I had to watch dozens of You Tube videos, even though I have thousands of hours in FSX and even before that. Why, everything in MSFS is different. Binding Peripherals into game, setting up different profiles is different, the planes fly different, the ATC and Navigation stuff is different. I know I have at least 1000 hours in 747 in fsx, but in MSFS, crashed and crashed and crashed, why, Plane in MSFS has no relationship too previous, or too real plane (not study level). It’s like inventing wheel all over again. It is frustrating because this should not be a learning experience all over again, nor should we have to be programmers to get it to work. BUT that is the scope of this sim.

Me too, OP. I just had to learn everything the hard way.

I’ve learnt a lot.

Pretty much nobody makes good manuals anymore, its not MS/Asobo, thats industry wide – And yes, you or someone else is going to come back with ‘But these guys did…’ with a link… So it’s important to make clear, yes, I know some shops do it. But they are rare. I wish they weren’t rare.

Anyhow, things like Anisotropic, depth of field and texture aren’t exactly simulator specific, pretty much every game out there has these settings. There is lots of detail on those types of items to be had via google, and probably in far better detail than a game manual would provide anyhow.

When I saw the topic, and the way this discussion opened, I expected it to be help with aviation related terms. I was surprised to discover it is about graphics settings.

1 Like

None of the terms you’ve stated are even close to being MSFS specific. I’d suggest you do what everyone else has done as part of their learning curve and make use of Google.

1 Like

A while ago I bought a game I thought i could play with my sons. I opened the case and said “OK, where’s the manual?” They just laughed at me.

Well, you can still purchase MSFS with a manual. Mine came with two plus a key chart.

If you have a half-way decent PC with a graphics card implemented (some graphics card) just switch everything to ultra. The flight sim does not need any super-expensive mega hardware anymore. The graphics settings are the usual settings found in any game.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Purchase Failed - Xbox

I thought the thread was going to be about aviation terms. A good bit of the discussion on here is a mixture of both jargons.

A problem with manuals is software versioning and would thus slow down development cycles. Plus this is a simulation framework that can be greatly expanded. In the old days, once it was released that was about it.

I guess they tried to make the assistance aspects of the sim kind of a manual. But those are super annoying past your first flight or two.

Anisotropic Texture Filtering keeps the textures sharp in a great distance. Otherwise they become very blurry on low settings.

Depth of Field is a stylish Bokeh-effect.

Lens Correction - some kind of effect that removes a simulated distortion of a camera lens edge.

Anti Aliasing - having the ugly effect of all not exactly horizontal lines having some stair effect removed for more beautyful and realistic visuals.

Sorry if I offended you. by asking dumb questions. Not everyone is a gamer and exposure to these terms. And disagree that nobody makes good manuals. I like the sim a lot when its working, but the lack of a manual & support is a big distraction.

There was no offense, I was genuinely surprised.

It sounds like you may have taken it a little harder than I intended. I wasn’t setting out to be dismissive, but in re-reading it I may have been. Sorry about that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.