PMDG 737 Discussion (PC Version) (Part 1)

Are there any systems differences, like avionics or FMC stuff? I know AA flies the 800 on the routes I want to fly, which is basically why I’m intending to wait for that.

You mention the EFB and the Fenix, the Fenix EFB is awful, full of bugs panel states don’t stick sometimes, the doors page is messed up.

I don’t care about an EFB anyway, I don’t see what it brings and I’d rather have the FPS, if I need to look at charts or something, I’ll look on my ipad, much easier to use anyway.

But if we must have an EFB I’d rather wait for PMDG’s than the Fenix’s buggy mess.

What is the proper documentation that Fenix has put out for the A320? I own both the 737 and the A320 and I know which comes with more pages of PDFs.

This question isn’t meant to excuse PMDG (or Fenix) for the documentation provided, but you keep bringing it up in a way that implies you believe the Fenix A320 has complete documentation while the 737 doesn’t.

5 Likes

Yeah, don’t hold up Fenix as some paragon of quality. I watched XP72’s steam last night and his (sponsored) Thrustmaster Airbus side stick controller cut out and disconnected from the sim and disconnected the AP every time he went to an external view in the most-recent update.

Anyway, as to the PMDG 737 (which is what this thread is all about) … yesterday’s update went perfectly for me. They had already dropped a number of new liveries a day or two ago, and I discovered another new one (fictional Spirit livery) when I updated the 737 yesterday afternoon. TONS of tweaks, fixes and updates, and still great performance for me.

I made two flights - one from KATL to KBNA for a short, mid-altitude shakedown (FL200), and then a later, early-evening flight from KDFW to Nashville again, taking off on the backside of a driving Texas thunderstorm (which matched real-world NEXRAD imagery pretty well), then climbing all the way to FL410, right up the coffin corner for performance. The plane flew wonderfully. I even changed my expected landing runway from 20L southbound to 02C northbound since the cold front had finally pushed through Nashville and the winds shifted enough to matter. Entered the new approach, edited the LEGS page to correct the arrival/approach, verified that VNAV had things recalculated sanely, then made a perfect ILS approach down to 400’ AGL when I landed manually.

People can whinge about an EFB but hate to break it to you - planes were flown from 1903 through 2010 just fine without iPads. :wink:

12 Likes

No, it’s clear Fenix is not a paragon of quality. I won’t buy their products anymore.
Even it isn’t the best A320 simulated ever. FSLabs A320 from prepar3d is better, and it has no EFB (at least, the CEO model without Sharklets). A320 of FSLabs continues being the best A320. I have a lot of hype for their A330 for MSFS.

1 Like

I hope not very 737 patch reintroduces the 10+ minutes first loading time, lol.

We will suffer each patch in this sense.

1 Like

Thanks so much!!! Yess!!

1 Like

the yoke of my pmdg does not move when I activate my joystick, but if the co-pilot moves, is this normal or is it a bug?

Edit: sorry, I had not realized that I had to unlock it

Why is it not possible for people to give constructive criticism of this plane without facing a barrage of ‘PMDG hater’ idiocy? I mean, the same goes for the Fenix, but since this thread is about the 737, that’s irrelevant here. But, I digress. The modern day human is just plain weird, these days. It’s very rare to find people who actively welcome a constructive discussion about a subject, where there will be disagreement.

It is actually okay to fully respect, but disagree with someone’s opinions, y’know.

5 Likes

I have a 5.1 sound setup, i enjoy the new engine sound but it comes from the front speakers behind my monitor, sounds unrealistic, especially in TOGA mode. In the outside view you actually get different front and rear sounds but in the cockpit it is different. Engine sounds should come from the rear left and right speakers regardless of viewing direction. Dunno if it is called 3D positional audio or something but it doesn’t seem to be implemented. Most of you probably use headphones which i can’t do since i hate losing real life environmental awareness. I wonder if it is an easy fix or a rather complicated thing to do.

1 Like

Yes, we will. Every “first load” following a patch will be an extended wait while the sim recompiles and optimizes the WASM code modules. It’s about 9 minutes for me on my system. This was discussed and advised by PMDG when the plane was first released, and reiterated by Robert’s announcement post for the patch yesterday.

1 Like

I use an Xbox controller for the rudder tiller. It was pulling to the right constantly on taxi. I increased the deadzone to 15 in sensitivity settings (Controls>Controller profile>sensitivity).

That stopped the right pull. Xbox controllers are known to be ‘noisy’ and put out a signal even when the axis is centered. (And it’s not an age thing - my controller is pretty band new and an official Xbox one). So use a deadzone to mask those unwanted signals.

1 Like

Hello
Sometime on landing the airplane deviates to the left and leaves the runway. Has anyone had this problem?

Is it normal to lose speed at cruise alt when missing the descent point? I got a phone call and missed the descent. All it takes is setting a lower mcp altitude for the auto descent to engage but i missed that. The speed however got dangerously low in anticipation of an idle descent. I was in VNAV/LNAV i should add.

What are you using for rudder controls? And is it possible you burst a tire?

1 Like

I saw after landing I was in imbalance fuel, was heavier in the left tank. Maybe is this…

the nosewheel light does not come on even though I activate the switch and the landing gear is down (logically)

In a nutshell yes, this is correct behaviour.

VNAV is doing some of that pilot s*** for you and managing the energy. If you weren’t in VNAV this is exactly what you should be doing yourself in the event of a late or delayed descent clearance. Once cleared to descend increasing the speed back to planned speed will buy you a seriously high rate of descent (particularly if you also use the speed-brake) and will more than likely get you back on your descent profile.

1 Like

No nose wheel light if using the LED light package.

3 Likes