PMDG 737 Discussion (PC Version) (Part 1)

I, for one, have been thouroughly enjoying this “off-topic” story. It’s almost like a master class in descent.

3 Likes

Yes, I have this too. Didn’t thought much about it. Just correcting the deviation after takeoff.
In my mind, as soon as I left the runway the wheel resistance is gone and the wind can attack with the most possible force and push the aircraft a little bit.

I can remember, when the first NG was delivered, guess was a Germania 736, they tried to push the plane backwards into the hangar and missed the fact, that the vertical stabilizer was much higher than the original 737. Therefore they crashed the top of the stabilizer into the roof because the old hangar didn’t had the height clearance. :woozy_face:
Later on, I read, that they developed the stabilizer much larger to fit the upcoming longer 737 like 738 or 739.
Could be possible, that this is the reason why you have that effect during takeoff. Big wind vane on a small aircraft, assuming you use the 736.

3 Likes

I have purchased PMDG 737-600. Undoubtedly a first class product. But is it too much to ask for it to work straight out the box? Standard mouse actions don’t work so install an alternative? I have a Honeycomb Bravo which works fine with all other aircraft I have, but not PMDG. Are sim add on producers more interested in the technicalities at the cost of the ease of use?

Each developer codes in their own way and in some cases, to get an aircraft to be more realistic, it means going around the Asobo SDK. Not everything in MSFS out of the box is realistic and there are limitations.

3 Likes

PMDG and easy to use doesn’t fit. Anyway, most or maybe all payware Aircraft builds their own settings because of limitations of the sim. I have with Mobiflight different settings for PMDG, FBW, H145, BAE, A310 and other sim internal Aircraft. It’s a little work at the beginning but that’s ok, I don’t buy a PMDG because it’s easy to use.
Maybe hard words, but take it or leave it. :wink:

2 Likes

There are a few wrong pieces of information here.

First, the first delivered 737NG was a 737-700, thereafter Boeing released the 737-800 and the 737-600 followed as 3rd member of the 737NG family.

Second, Germania never operated 737-600

Third: Compared to the 737 Classic, the Vertical Stabilizer is larger on the 737NG. 737-700, -800 -900 have the same size. The stabilizer of the -600 is larger though. The reason for that is, that the plane is significantly shorter. That means, that the leverage of the fuselage is smaller, so it required a larger control surface to have the same aerodynamic characteristics as it’s larger brothers. By the way, it is the same for Airbus. The A318 has a larger Stabilizer than the other family members.

2 Likes

Yeah. You’re right. It was a 737-700. Was at the very beginning of the 737NG. Long time ago. :laughing:

I don’t understand this statement, I use the same mouse actions in every aircraft in MSFS and this is the default in PMDG. There is a PMDG alternative that I personally don’t like which is described in a PDF in the documentation folder of the aircraft.

Thank you Don for your help. Knowing you use the default I will stick with it and not install the alternative

I understand your point. I got the PMGD as I like a complex fully working sim. I start from cold and dark. But I want to use it not searching for workarounds to fix snags

I start from cold and dark as well, everytime. Don’t get it….what snags? Don’t have a Problem to use it with my warthog throttles, my external Airbus MCDU and partly with my external Airbus FCU.
Just flown a 4 hrs leg today. Longest task after powering up is flightplanning….

Is there a good tutorial on programming the route in the FMC when there is no SID available?

I’m missing a piece of the puzzle here (basic knowledge of FMC) as normally I always select the SID and the STAR and LNAV/VNAV works. I want to fly a route from YBMA to YBBN: YBMA/16 DCT MA J89 UNVAT V327 HAWKE Y340 LAMUG Y177 BN DCT YBBN/19L

Would take a look in the charts, e.g. Skyvector and would puzzle my own „SID“ with existing waypoints.For RWY16 I would go via RILVO and then to southeast on the airway, or you can go to SARIK on your actual airway.

2 Likes

So the routing would simply be YBMA runway 16 departure with ‘vectors to MA. So you would depart runway 16 and then ‘vector’ or go direct to MA. If there’s no SID it’s just vectors to your first waypoint. So in the FMC it should be whatever runway points which usually have an initial of like 520’ or something and then MA J89 UNVAT…etc…

2 Likes

@Sunday748 @UpstateElf898 Thank you, I’m putting the waypoints / route manually into the FMC, somehow can’t get the ‘first leg’ / waypoint MA into the LEGS page. Trying to simbrief those in now. Otherwise I’ll provide a screenshot.

The plan looks better with simbrief, not as messed up as I managed to :wink: but with the route activated and perf init executed still no lnav/vnav

And a nice picture just for fun, because it looks good in the outback

3 Likes

Yeah you won’t get LNAV/VNAV because there’s more than a 30* difference between your departure heading and the heading to the waypoint. You’d be departing heading 16X and the waypoint is on a 060 heading. So you’d just need to set the runway heading in your heading selector and once airborne you can flip it around to the heading for MA and once you’re headed in that general direction LNAV should kick in. So for departures like this you’d want to depart using LVL CHG and heading. Once you’re more on course you can switch to VNAV/LNAV.

2 Likes

Ah, in a similar situation I had the right heading and course but it seems now it wasn’t that similar :wink: I skipped that part indeed as I thought it wasn’t that crucial but I see now, trying that this evening. Thanks!

1 Like

Have fun. Once you get a few flights under your belt it’s very easy to figure out how you need to be configured based on the type of departure. For a SID you pretty much can use LNAV/VNAV from the get go. For non SID or vectored departures LVL CHG and heading until you’re on course.

3 Likes

I’ve got the latest updates for everything in MSFS and updated the PMDG 737-700 today, but I’m unfortunately getting crashes to desktop.

Computer is:
Mac Pro 7,1 2019
Windows 11 Pro for Workstations (running natively)
Intel Xeon W3245 3.2ghz 16 core
48GB (6x8GB) ECC ram DDR 2933mhz (6 of 12 ram slots used)
AMD Radeon Pro W6800X 32GB
Windows and MSFS running on 1TB Samsung 980 NVME
HP Reverb G2

I haven’t changed anything with this machine other than the MSFS updates and it was previously stable. I managed to get about 5-10minutes from flight and then it crashes back to desktop.

It does appear to be more reliable in 2D mode but that’s no fun especially since I know my way around this plane very well.

Edit: Seems to be not 737 related, the FBW A320 also just crashed similar way. Sigh. 90 minutes of crashing to desktop. Try again next weekend.

1 Like

If there’s actually no SID available ATC would give you an initial vector. It could be something like “After departure maintain runway heading and climb XXX”. After that when you’re handed over to approach they would give you a direct to your route. The route is what’s written on paper. It’s not set in stone. In my experience it is very rare that we fly routes exactly as they are. Most of the times we’re on vectors.

3 Likes