PMDG 737 Discussion (PC Version) (Part 1)

Here you go, everyone. This Tutorial covers everything from Cold & Dark state to right before taxiing. This includes AP setup, FMC configuration, engine startup, etc… ALL in just under 30 mins. I used SimBrief for the KSFO-KORD flight route and weight/balance. Hope you enjoy and see just how simple it is to get the 737 up and running… I assure you, once you have this down, it will seem completely insane to even try to work with Bredok’s 737. If you are planning to get PMDG’s bird, I suggest putting away the Bredok version ASAP to get out of any bad habits you may have developed while trying to set that one up.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments section of the video, but this Tutorial will get you up and running with the PMDG 737.

If you’d like me to continue covering various phases of flight and proper operation for approach, ILS and autoland config, please let me know, and I will be happy to continue the series.

PMDG Boeing 737-700 (Prepar3D 5.3) Startup and FMC Tutorial - YouTube

16 Likes

Your a Star and a credit to the community, Thank you

3 Likes

Thank you, this will be useful if I do decide to purchase. A couple bits of feedback. Once you turned on the external power, you became much harder to hear due to the background noise. Also would have been good to record your mouse pointer location since I wasn’t sure where to look when you were flipping switches :laughing:

2 Likes

Please do.

Edit: Thank you!

1 Like

Here is another good video.

3 Likes

Please do the series Jeremy, thank you so much

3 Likes

Of course. For the 737 I will likely not do a complete flight because the cruise stage is rather boring, but I will pick an interesting departure to execute and climb to cruise altitude and then an interesting descent/approach.

You will notice that in these tutorial videos I will only cover the “meat and potatoes”, which is the necessary steps to perform to get you flying. I think that is the place to start. There is a multitude of tests you can run to verify all systems are operational, but for the sake of brevity, I am skipping those and only doing things you will likely do on a regular basis to fly a basic route. PMDG supplies wonderful manuals and you can dig in deeper in there. The idea for the series will be to keep things as brief and functional as possible (notice the entire startup and programming one was just under 30 minutes, which is pretty decent for an involved aircraft like this). Tomorrow I will have a takeoff/departure video for you guys.

3 Likes

Sounds exactly what I’m looking for in a tutorial at this stage. Very grateful for your time!

1 Like

This will obviously be a fantastic implementation of the 737, however due to the well documented WASM issues plaguing the DC-6 on the Xbox, I do not expect to see this on my Series X anytime in the near, or even distant future. A shame but, it is what it is.

1 Like

To beat someone to the punch means to do something, say something or achieve something before someone else is able to do, say or achieve that thing.

I have posted Part 2 of the Tutorial on basic PMDG 737 functions - this one deals with taxi, takeoff, and climb to altitude. Please forgive the little snafu right before TOGA - my parking brake was on and that’s why the takeoff config alarm went off - I didn’t catch it right away. Hope you enjoy.

8 Likes

Part 3 (and final) part on the PMDG 737-700 ops. This covers descent, ILS capture, landing, and shutdown. Approach into KDEN. Enjoy.

PMDG Boeing 737-700 (Prepar3D 5.3) - Descent, ILS capture, Landing, Shutdown - YouTube

8 Likes

Sure has been quiet on the PMDG forums front. Hope we get an update this week.

3 Likes

You could do a flight from Vienna to Innsbruck.

1 Like

In my itch to practice with PMDG 737 before it gets released for MSFS, I have decided to take you up on that challenge! It was quite an approach - I didn’t luck out with weather, let’s just say that. Per your request, the whole ordeal! :wink:

4 Likes

Wow, thank you!

1 Like

Innsbruck is, IIRC, a captain only landing, as it’s so challenging. I imagine it’d be pretty scary at night haha

1 Like

At night it’s not any better or worse, really… the problem occurs when you have the exact situation I was dealing with in terms of weather… when all terrain gets obscured by clouds and you are basically flying by radio altimeter and the terrain radar in front of you. But it’s so easy to over-focus on the terrain radar and lose spacial orientation the way I did - that’s what resulted in a scary bank angle. Combine with the unnerving alarms - you NEED those flaps and the gear warning got me quite distracted. The “Caution, Terrain” doesn’t help either. This is definitely more sane with two people on the flight deck. It was SO distracting trying to reach for the switch that inhibited gear warning and accidentally disabling the weather radar when that’s literally the only thing that enables me to “see” that valley. :wink: It’s not for the faint of heart, for sure.

2 Likes

That’s why pilots must train it before they are allowed to land.

Flying with Radio altimeter and terrain on ND seems like a no brainer for you to be fired from any airlines.

Why didn’t you set the weather manually?

This is definitely not a realistic approach.

Anyway keep up the good work.

2 Likes