PMDG 737 Discussion (PC Version) (Part 1)

Your logic is not just decently sound. It’s correct. The only difference between the 700 and 800 aside from the model is the 800 is marginally more powerful and the distance between aerodynamic center and CG is greater. Flight modeling therefore requires negligibly more effort. The release order is just for squeezing more money. That’s obvious and annoying (I won’t fall for it) but understandable from a company’s perspective.

7 Likes

You speak as if you know more about the development process than the devs who are making the plane you talk about. :clown_face: I’m gonna trust Randazzo more than I trust admittedly grumpy forum posters. Can’t wait to buy all 3!

3 Likes

@StewartLapp

Well a “good friend” will never call them money grabbers now would he ? Probably all tubers will not go against the company that provide them with beta versions and therefore viewers and a lot of :moneybag:!! I know “pilot studd” did that with aerosofts “simple traffic” … and he never was able to review new products for example.

The cockpits are identical between the models. The cockpit and the systems are the hardest ( and already finished )

The model world require a DAY or 2 to build from scratch by a good developer. Just extending the current fuselage and adding 2 doors mainly. Please note they already have the models in other sims finnished also. The -600 is ahorter and nedds adaption also … why does that cost less time then the -800 that everybody wants ?

The largest work is just ADAPTING the current diggets from -700 to -800. The digits are known and can be adapted with ease ( same digits need adaption for the lighter and shorter -600 ?? )

Last but not least robert made a statement on the 6 weeks period. It would not shift he said. How can something not shift in software development ( unless it is already done ) ? Only marketing can decide an exact period.

Nope this is money grabbing … using FOMO and using impatience for extra money. Punishing people that can not afford to buy 2 planes ( it will NOT be a €19.99 plane ) …Punishing people that will not download illegal -700 copies and will wait for 3 extra months.

it is a shame

3 Likes

Even the Flying Fabio said it in his stream. They put the 700 and 600 out first because that way they will sell more. If they had sendt out the -800 first hardly anyone would buy the 600 &700.

They can disguise it as dev time or what ever, not falling for that excuse. Though i will likely get just the -700 and call it a day. Not interested in buying multiple versions anyways, but is most definetely is PMDG being smart at making money.

8 Likes

The best way to combat this would be for people to wait for the version they want.

They’d soon have the 800 bumped forward and out the door if they failed to make the sales they projected on the earlier versions.

6 Likes

Yep. This is Business 101. Was expecting nothing less from PMDG.

Be quick to market. Maximise revenue potential from a new platform.

1 Like

If this were true, then they would have failed as a company due to spending resources on developing variants “nobody” is interested in buying; in that case they would have concentrated on the -800 alone. Expecting that ppl buy something different that they actually wanted just because it is available sooner, might be true in some cases, but probably not enough to build your business on and justify developing.

I think the majority of users can wait for the -800 variant. And ppl who are interested in owning all variants (or at least the -700) do probably not care that much about the release order.

I would assume that it is not only the adjustments of the plane alone, but also that they most likely want to bring in the currently missing features into the -800 variant after the next sim update(s) to ensure it is feature complete and then roll those features out to the -700/-600 variants after the -800 release. Well, at least I would do…

Personally I would also expect that the -800 might be delayed 1 or 2 weeks again, depending on the sim update (XI?) expected (but not confirmed yet I think) to be released around August.

In general I think it is not the goal of companies to delay their products as they make only money out of it when it is released. And watching this thread and the reactions f.e. on the landing bug, PMDG would probably be heavily criticized for an early release by the same folks who urge them into an early release. :slight_smile:

So patience is the key.

PMDG have been pretty clear of the rationale for this - which obviously you can choose to believe or not, but this isn’t a “Chewwy thing”

2 Likes

@GothicHeart77

Your theory about failing would apply if it where completely different planes and projects. The thing is … they are the same except details.

So they will not fail selling the impopulair models upfront at all … its a BONUS because the -800 will sell like crazy 3 months later anyway ( and they know that )

2 Likes

Big part of it was the streamer’s lack of system knowledge.
In real A/C APP button on the MCP is inhibited once you’re locked on the LOC and G/S. He initially had G/P shown on the FMA and not G/S. I have never seen G/P on the FMA, it is not associated with an ILS approach. It might be an option for other precision approach types but I am not aware of that. For an RNP approach it normally shows VNAV PTH.
Anyway he got confused reset the A/P and repressed APP. It captured the localizer again, but since he was already below the glideslope he only got G/S armed (in white) and CWS P (in yellow) - completely realistic system behavior. So he was descending kind of parallel with the glideslope in “pitch hold” mode.

Here comes a bit where the PMDG software has a bug:
The A/C crossed the MCP altitude (4100ft) in “soft” CWS mode (soft meaning that CWS had been selected by deselecting an active A/P mode with the A/P on). In the real A/C the A/P would have jumped back to ALT ACQ and then ALT HOLD at 4100 ft. Then - since the G/S was still armed - it would have captured the glideslope eventually.

Always read the FMA people… and maybe the flight manual.

5 Likes

Wait, do you mean I have to STUDY to use this plane?

7 Likes

I detect the merest hint of sarcasm in your post, sir. Haha.

2 Likes

I understand that there is now the requirement for a PPL (PMDG Pilots Licence), before you can fly one of their products.

Don’t worry though, i don’t think it’ll cost too much. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let’s all remember what PMDG was able to achieve 10 years ago. Can’t wait to fly this thing :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

OMG!!!

I have mentioned many times, in countless threads in the recent past about my new found love in FS as I have discovered the world of VOR flying and different approaches and the like, I’ve been a little too factual and real world like to the extent of not seeing the point in flying to “former airports” and “former aircraft types…”
But OMG I will be buying this aircraft and a Kai Tak mod and recreating that landing!!!

SO true mate… Apart from the lack of the good old ATV vectoring… MSFS has grown beyond the imaginable considering their hiatus…

1 Like

With the MD-80 release later this week and the 146 soon I can happily wait for the -800. Some things pan out perfectly.
Exciting times ahead in MSFS.

13 Likes

Exactly what I started thinking. Now maybe I will wait for the 800 also.

5 Likes

an update without an update…

Just playing, looking forward to this immensely! quite unpatient I have become!!!

1 Like

Not at all - it says they believe they have identified the cause of the catapulting landings that Fabio and now British Avgeek have experienced in their streams and they have pushed out multiple test builds to their team to evaluate.

They also said they’re working on sound issues, most notably (to me) the missing trim wheel sounds in the cockpit, which has been remarked on by several of the streamers.

Given that all of the know landing issues revolve around use of Flaps 40 (something fairly rarely used and some airlines don’t even enable), my guess is something screwy with the interaction between Asobo’s exaggerated ground effect simulation and PMDG’s custom thrust reverser and flight model.

In my mind, this is exactly why your test team should included outside testers who are NOT subject matter experts on the code or any particular airline’s procedures. I expect a LOT of goofballs will try to land this thing on tiny Caribbean runways or uphill on a Tibetan mountainside - using the plane in non-standard ways is bound to find the gaps between the edges of the sim.

12 Likes