PMDG 737 Discussion (PC Version) (Part 1)

They come on when you push the TFC button.

1 Like

Thanks. Is there some annunciation that shows that the airplane is using LPV, or is that just assumed if an LPN+LPV approach is selected?

So following up on this morning’s “pointless” discussion re using the Simbrief downloader, just to add a single data point. For my first couple weeks’ of testing/learning the plane, I’ve been flying between KATL and KBNA - this is a very common and suitably brief flight (~45 minutes give or take, depending on if Nashville is landing south when in from ATL, or departing north when heading out for ATL). So I have generated numerous .RTE files in each direction. Today I dug into the Work directories down inside my MSFS installation and there is only one, most recent version of each. I currently have 12 .RTE files taking up … checks note 16 kilobytes of disk space. The corresponding .WX files take up less than 24K of disk space. Heck, both sets of files together could have fit on one my 90K floppy disks from the 80’s. :slight_smile:

So I’m not going to sweat the number of files or worry about “cluttering” the folders. As I pointed out above, when you generate your new route file in Simbrief and download it, it will overwrite any earlier version of the same route. Similarly, in the FMC if you go to the RTE page and enter your Departure and Destination airports, then Request the route, it will find the file you just created with no need to scroll through a list or anything.

Anyway, this is all an expedient for the next month or three until the EFB is ready, at which time everything will likely get more tightly integrated and even simpler than it already is.

EDIT: And finally, I don’t consider specific details of how to do very particular things in the sim pointless at all. Discussions like this help others learn and determine whatever workflow works best for them.

Just to note, you can also input the departure and arrival airport into the CO ROUTE (Company Route) field - ex. KBNAKATL (for Nashville to Atlanta) - and it will instantly load that route without having to request it. You’ll just need to activate it. It’s a little quicker that way.

5 Likes

60 seconds is very generous :wink:

You are quite right actually… I think the CRJ and 737 are very similar…

I’ve always checked or entered in the ILS automatic as habit and I think the original A320 has stead me in that direction of manually entering frequency when it comes to VOR ILS and the like… But I mean, you are descending and you have all the time in the world when you have auto throttle LNAV/VNAV autopilot engaged…

One thing I would love developers to somehow figure out and thats some sort of function where you can set the copilot to do very simple tasks such as landing lights, strobe lights, weather radar and the like while leaving/entering the runway… how many times have we ‘reached over’ to turn off the strobes and landing lights and your plowing the grass verge… or taking out a row of edge ligting :face_with_hand_over_mouth::rofl:

Just simple tasks to take real world load off the pilot I think would be real cool and helpful

2 Likes

So, I’m loving this plane, but have one issue.

To allign the IRS’s I go to the 2nd page in the Perf Init, but GPS L and R have no data.

I have to use the GPS coordinates from the 1st page after entering the Departure ICAO instead.

I went through the options in the FMC twice, and can’t find what I’m missing here.

anybody have an issue where they zoom out (external view) and the strobe light disappears. not the flash/red stroe itself, but rather the physical light (casing/bulb?) is no longer visible

Regarding the FMC… I was like everyone… Not by choice…(we only had one functional aircraft, with the Salty and Heavy Division mod bringing the others up to near…) but I was very spoiled with the FBW and its automatic upload setup with everything, like the wheights and the like and yes I was alittle annoyed initially when finding the likes of the PMDG 737 didn’t have that automatic SB input on everything like the weight and payload, and with the limited amount of sim time, it all adds up…

BUT…

The PMDG has automatic upload of a SB plan and much like the FBW, you still have to select a SID and STAR but apart from having to input your weights and fuel… its not hard and time consuming at all and once you’ve done it for the 16th time, you have a flow and its not time consuming at all…

Some people need to get over some aspects that one aircraft has that the other one doesn’t have and appreciate the very reason why we indulge in other aircraft and that is, to learn something new and different and how to operate different systems and processes…

Lets hope the likes of PMDG don’t have to resort to having to put a disclaimer out… “to prevent disappointment… this product is almost life-like and will require some knowledge to operate it and follow the process and procedures…”

3 Likes

You need to wait. The two GPS receivers will not have any data for about two minutes after you initially power up the airplane. This simulates the time it takes for a real GPS receiver to lock on to the satellites after power-up.

1 Like

You can filter a flightplan search in the FMC in the 737.
In the RTE screen enter your departure airport under ‘origin’, then hit ‘flt plan request’. It will filter all the flightplans down to ones departing from that departure airport id.
Similarly further filtering to be had by entering destination airport id under ‘dest’ before hittiing ‘flt plan request’.
You can also enter both ‘origin’ and ‘dest’ info before hitting ‘flt pln request’ to really narrow it down to probably the one flight plan you want to use.

1 Like

I would refrain from commenting on LPV approaches as I have yet to see them. They are not really used by airlines yet…at least not in Europe.

I asked this help question before but it turned out I took the wrong ils freq.
now I filled in the right one for 36R eham nm 111.95.
but the AP on 3000 ft high and approach on , it still doesnot follow the gs althought the diamond is visible.
anyone an idea what I forgot to do?

Are you arming approach mode? What modes is your FMA showing?

Suddenly having issues getting CATIII to work, after setting everything up and capturing LOC/GS (although now it says GP?) setting the GA altitude and then activating the second AP - it just switches AP instead of having both green.
Can’t think of anything I’ve changed or forgotten from when it worked until now but it’s definitely not working or at least on the two test flights I ran from KSEA-KPDX
Ils 10L.
Any one more knowledgeable have any thoughts?

Thanks

Thank you for the heads-up.

But when I started up the plane again last night to go through the FMC settings once more, the GPS still had no data after over an hour. (Power on the GPU, departure ICAO entered and IRS knobs set ti NAV.

Then I found an option in Failures to clear All (Even though I never activated any) and all of a sudden GPS L and R showed coordinates.

Something must have been wrong, but I don’t know what.

Most important thing is that my issue is resolved. Loaded the bird this morning, and GPS L and R showed data.

I am a happy camper again :wink:

You are correct it only loads the route and the destination weather from Simbrief- requesting perf brings it in from PMDG menu setups …in the aircraft …good discussion!

1 Like

problem solved. I flew 3000 ft but the standard qnh was not set well. so after using B it was correct and it flew well.

1 Like

Can I ask how you calculate or get ur qnh from? Thanks

Does anyone know of a free takeoff calculator tool for the 737-700? I don’t mind paying for useful stuff but it’s getting almost ridiculous at this point with all the subscriptions and add-ons.

Get it from the METAR, or use the in-sim ATC to check the ATIS.

1 Like