PMDG 737 Discussion (PC Version) (Part 1)

What is a reasonable cg range that is operated irl, generally said…

Anyone having VNAV issues on final approach? Last two flights making ILS approaches (into KBOS and KMIA, both payware airports), VNAV worked fine all the way down until the last waypoint where you intercept GS. I had APP armed, localizer was captured and tracking, altitude was set to a value below the altitude below what was shown on the approach (ie - if the waypoint had an alt of 1800, I typically entered an alt of 1600). However, in both cases, the aircraft didn’t decent between the 2nd and last waypoint. I was distracted and didn’t catch it until it was too late the approach was a lost cause. Any idea what the issue might be? I’ve flown hundreds of normal approaches in this jet, strange that the last couple had these issues.

My Google-Fu leads be to believe that the “Thing” is a TechSAT PDL Mk.III or similar device.

1 Like

In the 20s… but again that may change depending on company policy. We run a fairly FWD CG just to speed up ground ops.

1 Like

That’s cool. Thank you for sharing with us non IRL pilots. Love learning all this stuff!

3 Likes

Oh mate you are flipping awesome :ok_hand: if only I didnt have a partner and if you were a girl version I would definitely ask to mar… shout you a beer​:rofl::rofl::rofl:

So those like detents things, basically in real life and not using the real to life airbus thrustmaster with button activated reverse thrusts :rofl::rofl::rofl: If i was to feel it in real life and ‘once I get my new pc up and running…’ there would be a slight feel to it and if I was to look at the reverse thrusts being deployed, I might notice a suttle click in first stage and a drawn out second click with the final stage, another quick click?
Thats awesome mate😁
Since I have no feel que, looking at the engine displays, roughly what n2 numbers would I be seeing at when stage 1, full stage two and stage three are utilized? Off the top of your head as I’m guessing it can vary in real life

3 Likes

Mr. Randazzo has posted this on PMDG forum:

Captains,

Today we anticipate the arrival of Asobo’s SU12 release for Microsoft Flight Simulator.

We know for certain that a few changes to the 737 are required in order to preserve the user experience. We have prepped an update for the entire 737 fleet, and it is primed and ready for the testing team.

We do need to get the final build of SU12 in our hands in ordre to validate it’s fitness for purpose- and that will happen at the same time you all get the SU12 build.

We recognize that a few of you may want to launch into SU12 immediately with the 737, and we just wanted to be sure that you knew there may be some lag between the launch of SU12 and the arrival of the update for the PMDG 737. This lag might be a few minutes, or it might be some hours, depending upon the results of our testing immediately after launch of SU12.

We just wanted you all to know that we are on top of it, and your patience is appreciated.

See you all once SU12 is in our hands.

8 Likes

PMDG update, Major GSX update, FENIX v2 in the Beta… lets see. Seems like we get quite a bit of an “update-wave” the next hours/days. I hope for a few positive surprises… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When is SU12 out? Haven’t been monitoring the beta threads. It was due in March, but has it been held up in beta at all?

Today, 1500Z

2 Likes

:raised_hands: Great! thanks.

1 Like

Do you need to manually use the PMDG Ops Center to update to the new version once it’s available, or does it automagically update? How are we notified of updates? (This is my first non-MSFS-marketplace plane.)

You need to update it through the Ops Center.

1 Like

The new updates for all 737 models are available now in the Ops Center, but I’m away from my PC and haven’t had a chance to download myself.

2 Likes

Link to post.

2 Likes

I have to say that in the last couple of months I have been flying the 738 almost exclusively and it became a matter of managing descent. Default ATC has actually been cooperating… About 5 nm from TOD I would request a descent to the next altitude indicated on legs page and go from there. ATC will usually approve a descent to a certain point and then will approve further. In terms of what the actual couple of pilots of the 737 said, it’s very much a balance of factors and the tools you use in descent are all available to you at your judgement. I have been a passenger on 737s on numerous flights and I don’t think I could name one that didn’t use airspeed brakes. Nor did it make me feel uncomfortable or concerned… You know what I CAN tell? When they disengage AP. And sometimes it was too low and too late and the question in my mind was “are you planning on flying any time today or just… tweak MCP dials?”… THAT is much more of a concern. The comfort level of pilots decreasing as they become more reliant on automation. Asiana accident at KSFO is a prime example.

So, yeah… One thing I learned today from reading back messages on this thread is that it’s viable to simply change airspeed on DES and let VNAV do its thing. I never used that strategy. For my flights, if I get behind the curve on VNAV descent, I’d use ALT INT in conjunction with brakes to allow for a steeper descent until it catches up with the VNAV profile and then let it do its thing. When I get further clearance to go down, it’s rinse and repeat. When I get to about 5,000 or lower (if the airport is at sea level), I would let go of VNAV and manage speed via MCP. Then I can gradually reduce the assigned value managed by AT.

Does this make sense? 737 Captains, care to chime in?

3 Likes

108 MB download for a maintenance update? Yikes. Is this increasing the file size by that amount or is this update simply replacing ~ 108 MB of existing code?

1 Like

Almost definitely a fresh copy with code changes overwriting the existing old copy, very little net increase in disk space.

2 Likes

Attempted a cold/dark start with a flight. Always done the same as I have for the last hundreds of flights on 738. No rudder authority on taxi. It MAY have been a glitch you get once in a blue moon, so maybe the next flight will be fine, but… Certainly not able to taxi. Almost 0% authority as before.

1 Like

I’ll almost certainly be firing up SU12 + the newly-updated 737-800 in an hour or two…will report back if I see any taxi issues, etc.

2 Likes