Reading and setting TAILHOOK POSITION and CANOPY OPEN?

Hmmm… this is an interesting development: I actually just tried to set a value - in this case the CANOPY OPEN variable, with value 100 (number).

And lo and behold: the CANOPY OPEN value quickly showed a value of 100.0, but it quickly (within seconds) diminished back to 0.0 again.

BUT: after a couple of attempts I then noticed that the TAILHOOK POSITION value has the (expected, according to the tailhook position in the simulator) value of 100.0:

(-> this is bogus → set UPDATE below)

HOWEVER: now setting back the CANOPY OPEN (!) variable to 0 sets - in fact - back the TAILHOOK POSITION to 0. Setting CANOPY OPEN back to 100 sets the TAILHOOK POSITION variable to 100.

But the (visual) tailhook in Flight Simulator is unaffected: it remains lowered all the time.

So - does not work. This reminds me of my recent experiments with the “Light” switches (taxi light, landing light etc.), as described here:

There it also seemed that setting some light variable actually toggled “the last successfully set” (which includes “operations with the mouse in the cockpit”) element. At least the “Lights” variables are (still) declared as “read-only” in the SDK documentation…

So to me it seems that both CANOPY OPEN and TAILHOOK POSITION variables are still not properly implemented within FS 2020 itself.

Can anyone confirm my observations here? Of course all this is with the current FS 2020 (“Sim Update 3”).

UPDATE: Doh! It seems that the SimvarWatcher example actually tries to modify the selected row in the right-hand side table (and not the variable as selected in the Simvar Name combobox!):

So call me stupid.

However the other observations still hold:

• Setting the CANOPY OPEN variable to 100 quickly sets that value, but the value decreases back to 0.0. within seconds
  • Setting the TAILHOOK POSITION actually works (the value 0.0 or 100 is “persisted”), but…
  • … in any case no visual impact is observed in the simulator itself: both the canopy and tailhook remain at their position (including the tailhook handle in the cockpit of the T-45).