Real world scenery - really?

I just hope that they improve the level of maps to a decent level and will not remain as we have now, not everyone plans to buy paid maps.

Ever played FSX when it first came out? Do you really think the standard Scenery of FSX looks better?

6 Likes

I think Asobo and MS should fix the obviously bugs, like „water mountains“ in rivers and so on. Very detailed scenery all over the world isn’t possible, at least with todays technology.
But don’t worry, if the SDK is good enough, 3rd party devs can build sceneries with POI’s and better mesh data, and even better ortho photos if it’s needed.
So everyone can buy their local area and is happy. :blush:

2 Likes

I’ll throw in another post - but I think the real way forward with this Sim is to focus on improving the AI’s translation of the map data.

It may not be realistic to have someone hand model everyone’s favourite skyscraper, bridge, landmark, building, church, freeway interchange etc

But if the AI can be ‘taught’ to understand those structures better, maybe they can be created in bulk much much faster to populate this world. I believe Microsoft could develop this technology and showcase it in MSFS.

If it can be done anywhere, this is the place for it and it would certainly speed things up a bit.

3 Likes

Microsoft Flight Simulator completely trashes FSX in terms of scenery out of the box. And that applies to every other flight simulator released, ever.

It isn’t even in the same galaxy, so you’re simply wrong. There isn’t much else to say about this, honestly.

There isn’t another sim in which, out of the box, I can reach the location of any single house, tree, or minor landmark in the world that i know about. Of course, an approximation will always be there, but the fact that you can achieve this is 100% unique and superior to any other sim released so far.

12 Likes

Any difference if you manually cache the area?
I did note big detail improvement in some areas (my home town) when I did that.

1 Like

that’s excactly what they are doing.

3 Likes

I know that’s what they’re starting with but I wasn’t sure if it was a ‘continual improvement program’ or just “We made a thing and this is what it does” type situation.

Edit: This wasn’t as clear when I read it back (Sorry, It’s late here)

I meant to say - Either a Static state that wouldn’t be receiving more work seeing as it does it’s meant to and won’t be improved upon OR a Continually improved code/program that gradually gets smarter as time goes on.

1 Like

This mod solve the bridge problem i think https://www.msfsaddons.org/freeware/sydney-harbour-bridge

1 Like

(from Home - Blackshark.ai)

So I strongly guess they didn’t stop working :wink:
And MSFS2020 will be a good show case.

4 Likes

It depends on how we set the bar for ‘realistic’. I’d say MSFS 2020 is definitely the best-looking flight sim ever released (so I agree with you in that respect). It’s probably also the most realistic, in terms of its attempt to accurately reflect the Earth’s real geography/topography ‘out of the box’.

But it’s far from accurate. One look at my hometown (Plymouth, Devon, UK) confirmed that suspicion. I know that city well. I spent 30 years living there. I know it like the back of my hand.

In MSFS 2020 it’s an ‘uncanny valley’ version of my hometown. On a surface level it’s vaguely familiar; things sort of look like they should, notable landmarks are sort of where they should be; the landscape is sort of reminiscent of how it really is
 but it’s clear on closer inspection that it’s the A.I.'s ‘best guess’ - a close approximation, a facsimile of reality, not reality. The illusion of accuracy is surprisingly easy to demolish.

Of course, when flying over unfamiliar places none of that matters. How would I know if Manila looks accurate? I’ve never been there. But I know for a fact that people who have been there or do live there see similar issues to the ones I see in MSFS 2020’s representation of my own hometown.

I willingly concede MSFS 2020 looks absolutely staggering. It is amazing. But it’s not accurate - and in that sense, the OP is perfectly justified in pointing this out.

3 Likes

its only the base version of the sim. expect scenery addons from orbx etc. for a high detailed area.

1 Like

It’s funny that they specifically mention refugee camp tents
when major refugee camp areas in northern Iraq are missing completely in the game. I understand that there are different versions of data, but one of the first places I flew when I first got in was to camps that I’ve visited dozens of times near Duhok, Iraq. Open fields in the game where thousands of tents stand today. It made me a little sad
with Coronavirus, I could not visit my friends living in those tents this year.

2 Likes

That was exactly the point of my earlier post. My home town looks vaguely right in the grossest terms, such as correct roads, and its river. But individual buildings are not modelled correctly. From 10,000ft you don’t notice this though, and it easily looks like it, but get down low, and the illusion is broken.

I think we are quite a way away from that level of detail, kind of like expecting the replacement of photogrammetry with in-sim global street view coverage, turned in to 3D models.

2 Likes

I really don’t know what people are expecting when it came to scenery. They are making the whole world, I’m sorry your city/town isn’t perfect. But in my mind building the world from photos taken from SPACE is pretty amazing. Of course there are going to be weird things, they didn’t/couldn’t QA the whole earth. Give it time and bridges,roads, rivers, etc
 will get better as their team improves the algorithms and they can correct things by hand. If we waited till perfection we wouldn’t have FS2020 until 2035.

6 Likes

I was banking yesterday, into the approach, over an undisclosed city, looking out of the window, and it was just creepy how much it reminded me of the real experience (as a passenger).

Some of the bugs are hilarious, but the whole thing is genius. The views, the light, the weather, the way the colors change, the reflections, the shadows
 I have never tried one of those silly VR headsets, but I think with this one I might (with the curtains closed).

3 Likes

All this is fair enough - I completely agree with you. I wasn’t expecting 100% realism, but some of the pre-release marketing had led me to believe I might expect more realism than what was finally delivered (at least on release). That’s not on Asobo - I think that what they’ve achieved (and delivered at release) is astounding, if flawed (because of course it is - this is the whole world we are talking about, after all).

And I agree with you - let’s give this time and see how / if Asobo and their associates and even 3rd-party developers can steadily improve what’s here. I hope so.

1 Like

It’s crazy what some people are expecting from MSFS2020.

• Perfekt (near identical) world
  • Study level aircrafts
  • 

and all this by default.

I guess those people are never satisfied

4 Likes

No one else has this either, but those that have had it easy for the last 10 years are now feeling threatened. Sitting on ones laurels, with no one to challenge them, has rather made them choke on their cornflakes. The solution is to attack at every opportunity, and no matter how tiny the issue, this will be magnified to suit the argument, and the agenda.

It’s kind of funny, but a little sad as well.

1 Like

That is exactly what they have done. In previous sims effort had to be made to model landmarks in cities throughout the world, this time they thought they could just use Photogammetery (which works very well, I have zero complaints about that) and BlackShark AI but the latter is just not up to the job. It approximates a city or town but is nowhere close to replicating the actual details that make a place recognisable and unique. Some seem happy with it but I think they are just impressed with the amount of scenery out of the box. Personally I favour quality over quantity.

3 Likes