Realistic Dangerous Weather - Physics Simulation

Before uninstalling MFS2020, just a last test for the sake of REALISM, for the love of real AVIATION!

I was able to fly … (in storm!! CB…) and worst than that I just landed the C172 in ultra lethal weather at BIKF!!! (See below METAR/SIGMET)

I deserve a medal, a trophee! I flew through huge CB (not a single turbulence, not a little humble convective, nothing, just winds and Gust!!!)
It is such a big time frustration! … ok let’s be cool because some of users call it a Flight Sim however terminoly is important, a flight sim that doesn’t simulate the minimum required two years after the release date, how could we call it? No word just facts.

They really reduced the turbulence, there is no danger in the skies based on Sigmet/Metar/Taf.
They just don’t care as a matter of fact about REALISM, it’s just about DX12/Perf/Visual/New Nvidia drivers … and lions on the ground in order to please the entire majority of users who do not care that much about real aviation that could be simulated in a realisitc way, I can understand that somehow. However what about the respect to AVIATION then?

Is it bashing to mention that MSFS 2020 do not simulate reality at all about what’s going on in the sky or is it factual? … of course it’s factual, give a try at BIKF or CYJT or BGKK right now, you’ll get the same statement Captains obviously for the sake of honesty!

SU10 is fantastic in terms of performances no doubt and visual but I don’t need to see my house as the same location than in reality to be happy! I do prefer to prepare my flight plan based on the weather conditions of the day before getting on the tarmac, and to show my respect to Mother Nature because sometimes out there it could become dangerous very rapidly, I’ve been there… (in real life, same in XPlane)

Thermals do not work properly, it was even better before and now turbulence are drastically reduced, nothing in CB/TS, it’s ridiculous, how come they get to that point ??? … It is such a regression in this area (no no no, again it’s not about bashing it’s just factual!)

Every pilots or/and hardcore simmers know so well that if you have a sigmet you try to avoid the danger included in it, this is the base of what we do learn in PPL lessons…

Words are weak, facts talk by themselves, give a try to fly in real or with XP12 at BIKF and then that should be the last flight ever! MSFS2020 SU10 again still allows you to take beautiful screenshots in storms, no worries, no up/downdraft, no convective, all good and enjoy!
That is GTA/Xbox spirit IMO…after two years!!!

I believe that my post won’t stay that long here just by mentioning facts! It doesn’t matter because at the end I don’t pretend to change the spirit of this beautiful game! :rofl: :hugs:
Aviation Weather METAR BIKF

3 Likes

I wonder why Asobo won’t make realistic atmo effects as an option. Read it somewhere today that they are going to reduce gusts again because of the whining.

4 Likes

Very true. Flying through a CB is an absolute joke. Making it look pretty as anything but not simulating proper turbulence when flying through clouds is a major immersion killer for the sim. Forget your Top Gun packages, world updates and all the other fluff that can come later. Build the fundamentals and that includes gust, turbulence in clouds etc…

7 Likes

Maybe it is the x-box user playing with a controller expecting the airliner they are doing barrel rolls with to fly on rails … They are here just for the visuals and having a plane bouncing around due to weather is just a distraction.
Harsh, but the audience for MSFS is now very broad and I feel that it is a segment that has little to no flying experience making most of the noise. Don’t Asobo have a tech team of real pilots to listen to?

5 Likes

The devs working on those things are not the same devs working on flight system and physics, completely different tool sets and experience.

Plus a lot of the landmarks and airports in world updates aren’t even made by Asobo they’re outsourced. Same with the Local Legend and Famous Fliers, Asobo just does the intake, making sure they work and packaging them up for download.

3 Likes

I just came across this glowing review of the gusts by a real 737 pilot who also works for PMDG!

Let’s hope these fantastic gusts are the first step of many towards ‘Realistic Dangerous Weather’!

5 Likes

The new gusts have certainly got everyone focused on the weather currently.

Maybe after SUXI and the release of updated updrafts/downdrafts/general-weather-system for the gliders there’ll be a large shift in interest to other weather improvements/features too.

We’ll have to wait, hope and see!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this video, it’s spot on!

I think this needs to change in the Asobo/ Microsoft approach, if they really want to get out of the arcade box:

• reducing actually good and realistic features just because casual gamers are complaining
  • not going for realism because they are scared of people complaining
  • ignoring actual pilot opinions
  • ignoring the forum threads asking for more realism, just reacting to all the toxic complaining threads filled with people who have no idea about aviation

Most people are just mad they actually need skill to fly an airplane and blame the simulator being over exaggerated rather to admit they need to improve themselves.

‘‘If flying an 737 in stormy conditions was easy, you could replace the pilots with monkeys’’ :smiley:

8 Likes

We already made it into the lifetime wishlist ! Nice!

3 Likes

I wonder if the big CFD simulation can also be used to create more realistic dangerous weather

1 Like

One thing which could change with the next sim update is further lifting of the up & down draft limitations which were set like almost 2 years ago.

Asobo stated they want to implement an visualisation tool first (which will be there with SU11)
before they go back to the true potential.

This could introduce some sort of more realism.

1 Like

Sounds good!

I just downloaded the SU11 Survey right now (1.29.22.0) maybe some good changes are coming!

1 Like

One thing I forgot to mention in the OP is that different cloud types / sizes / densities should also cause different turbulence behaviour.

4 Likes

Those things cause more up/downdrafts in su11. Su11 is like a completely different sim to me.

2 Likes

I think SU11 is more focused on the basic thermals implementation and lifting the up & down draft limits, but it’s not targeted on taking different cloud types or anything listed in this thread into account, there are already beta posts which confirm that.

But we have to take one step at a time, if the base isn’t good anything else wouldn’t make sense.
I’m just glad they are starting to get forward. :smiley:

7 Likes

Agree, i think it’s good that visualization tool is there as well. Will make it a bit easier to report things. But it could have been more detailed in my opinion.

2 Likes

I’ve just posted this in beta forum, but I think it’s also good to post it here again as a ‘‘small’’ reminder what was promised 3 years ago at the release of MSFS:

(8:30)

:x: here is a list of what they mention to be in the sim after release,
but it’s actually not, even after 3 years:

• volumetric clouds match turbulence, up & down drafts
  • native support of storms, supercells, TCU…
  • Toweringcumulus Clouds ‘‘updraft on the side, in the middle it goes down… that’s why they are so dangerous and you should never get close to them in a small aircraft, in a big aircraft you get lots of turbulence’’
  • the airflow in the world is going to match the clouds, the air is going to move up and down inside the clouds, on the edges of clouds you get wind shear
  • ‘‘we have all the up & down drafts which match the actual weather’’

Listing these features feels almost like consumer fraud, because non of this is happening in the sim.

17 Likes

Unfortunately I second that as well. I had hopes because SU11 seems to have unlock (a little bit) updraft-downdraft more than previously but I did test in TS or big cells of CB and still there is no effect at all. (barely more but it’s difficult to be accurate even if my bird C310 has been hit by some big updraft/dowdraft in CB from time to time (I even made a video that gave hopes!!! ) but I don’t know if it was hazardous somehow because after other tests “nothing happened” in bad weather conditions.

Indeed the list of features was just advertising even if progress has been done in this area, it’s unsignificant based to what they did promise to their costumers and can look like as a “fraud”.

Maybe we could expect the presence of those realistic features out of Xenviro which was released yesterday. I know that on XP, Xenviro adds huge convective/updraft-downdraft/Moderate to Severe Turbulence in Clouds, CB, icing conditions in TS etc… I’ll be curious to test it based on what it is provided in the MSFS2020 Xenviro list.

I’m not at home for a couple of days so I have to wait to make that test in case if someone here can make it before! :wink:

7 Likes

Don’t hold your breath. xEnviro doesn’t do anything new or magical than all the other weather injection models because the weather system is closed.
It only injects a weather preset based on the current METAR, that’s all.

Unless I see someone flying through storms and experiencing wind shears, I call xEnviro’s list of features a blatant lie and a cashgrab.

2 Likes

Yeap it’s better not to hold my breath! I just asked on the Xe thread if someone can make that test! I’ve just seen that there are some turbulence added in clouds (based on a very short youtube video X speed accelaration so it’s useless to appreciate) let’s see