Reduced rpm in Cessna 172 after starting cold & dark - Advice?

Your screenshot in the first post does have a bunch of ice on the windshield, more than likely was some on the prop then as well then.

1 Like

Yeah, lots of frost on the glass. It just spawns like that upon loading the flight. It’s really annoying and not sure how to get rid of it. Running the engine a good while with both cabin air and cabin heat open didn’t do anything. And it was only -4°C the first time. Starting to think something was/is messed up with the Live weather or how it interacts with the plane(s).

Anyway, suppose the props were iced (although they looked perfectly clean from the pilots view). What are you supposed to do about that? And is that a known effect, reduced RPM?

Anyway, doesn’t explain why my fuel flow is reduced at full throttle, does it?

Is it better with Fuel pump and Pitot heat on? I don’t really notice exact RPMs – if I can get off the ground and fly then thats what I do. Of course that also explains why I dropped out of the sky flying to KIND the other day at 7500 feet in cloudy sub freezing temps. :face_with_head_bandage:

I don’t know that FS does even model ice on the props.
But on startup that would certainly not make any sense. Only an idiot would try to start an airplane with ice on the props. That’s what a preflight in winter is for.

So I would think that is unlikely to be the problem you had in that scenario.

Testing things out days later, I’m finding this bug is not being reproduced and my plane is not spawning in the parking area with the windows coated in frost, unable to defrost. So I think it was nothing to do with my startup procedure. But rather some bug with the simulation, possibly with the Live Weather at the time, causing the plane and its systems to somehow spawn impossibly cold and unable to warm up leading to performance issues. Even thought in my later testing I spawned into colder temperatures without issues. I know how buggy Live Weather can be in general so I guess this is totally plausible.

3 Likes

I’m having exact same problem. When Start from cold and dark, the RPM barely goes over 2100-2300. if restart with the plane and the end of runway (already started) and the RPM reach 2500rpm. I tested the magnetos, mixture etc but didn’t find correlation. for information, It look like to occurs on cold temperature. It behave like a foul sparkplug. I got a foul parkplug on a real C150 and was behave like this.