Released.. Aeroplane Heaven Grumman F3F-2

I guess I’m in the minority then, I like it!
Ok,it’s not perfect, but which model is?
And it’s fun to fly I find

jk0168 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk0184 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk0193 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Glad I bought it!

8 Likes

Electric starter setting and cartridge start are mixed or at least mislabeled.

1 Like

Installed the released update today - still CTDs when selecting a departure point on the map.

CTDs, ugly cockpit textures with low-res canopy framing, mislabeled starter selector lever, wrongly animated flightstick, bad soundset with audible looping and almost no bass and some minor stuff like non-working light switches and clipping tail wheel…

I recently bought the Spit from FlyingIron for 20 bucks and this is on a whole different level in quality.

Will shelve this for now.

9 Likes

I am having the same problem, but it is possible to fly the F3F: first select a default plane and an airport, click on “fly”. When on the airport you can either fly and than stop or stop and go back to the main menu and then select the F3F and fly it. But do not select after that an other airport with the F3f, for then you’ll get an CTD.

Same here. D/loaded patched version, same CTD.
If you load a different plane first, it will load.

No need to click “fly” and to go back to the main menu. Just first select a different plane, then select an airport, then select the F3F, then click “fly”

2 Likes

Flying the F3F with David Vopat - YouTube I agree on that. Here is what it probably ought to sound like. Other than that - nice plane!

1 Like

Hello everyone.

Quick question. I´ve tried the aircraft today (v1.01). In cockpit few animations are missing and switch not “working” (maybe i´m missing something).

Throttle and mixture animation missing.
On right hand side, battery switch not moving (master switch ok).

Am i the only one to have those issues?

Interesting video about the original F3F-2. While in the simulation it only takes one click/two turns of the crank to lower/raise the gear, in the original it took 28 turns!
History Up Close with the Grumman F3F - YouTube

You’re not the only one. I can’t manipulate throttle or mixture, and I can’t turn on the magnetos. So this plane is literally useless to me. I’m glad I wasted $28 on it.

Edit: Now it’s working, and I have no idea why. This addon sure is an odd one.

1 Like

The throttle thing may have been MSFS… I’ve been having sporadic throttle issues with various planes since SU7.

Thanks for the tip on how to avoid the CTD on startup. Setting up the flight with another plane and then selecting the F3F-2 let me fly with no issue. Reported to AH and I’m sure they’ll get it sorted.

I don’t agree with the cockpit complaints – textures look good to me on my UHD monitor. Also, while the sounds definitely need a bit of enhancement on the low-end, they’re generally accurate when compared to videos of the Planes of Fame F3F-2, and it is a full WWise soundset with appropriate change in volume when you open the canopy.

This needs some tweaks (the CTDs particularly, and a couple animation glitches), but the most important part – the flight model – feels great, and the plane looks awesome as well. Having flown the FS02 and FSX versions, this is definitely not just a portover of those – there’s a lot more detail here.

1 Like

Had the same problem with another plane. Try mapping the throttle to “Throttle 1 Axis” instead of “Throttle Axis”. Solved it for me

Hotfix 2 (v1.02) is now available and no more CTD. :grinning: :+1:

Does it address any of the other issues such as wrong animations and some of the other issues mentioned here? I want to get this, but I was burned by AH with the Electra and won’t buy another WIP from them.

1 Like

I uploaded two paints:
jk0438 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk0435 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk0164 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk0216 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

6 Likes

CTDs are fixed.

Still open:

• wrong stick animation
  • atrocious engine sound (looping and bass)
  • clipping canopy frames in cockpit view
  • flickering shadows/shading around upper wing strut connections, on lower wings and on cockpit walls
  • selector switch animation for electric/cartridge start
2 Likes

Great! Love the bare metal variant!
Any chance for some basic color variants for civil use?

2 Likes

Here a video of the wrong stick animation - maybe DEV is reading here. F3F-2 - Strange stick animation - YouTube

No, you are not.
I applied v 1.0.2 and it seems to have solved the CTD on selecting a departure point, but I still have no throttle or mixture or trim animations and the engine sound is almost insulting.
I was really looking forward to this aircraft, and I’m sure in time it will be fixed, but for now it is just seems broken in several ways.
UPDATE
As has been reported by others, there are things that are now “simply working” that didn’t work before, i.e., the throttle and mixture animations. Elevator trim animation works; rudder and aileron trim do not. I don’t know if this bird had differential braking; in this model applying either brake applies both.
The external visual model is beautiful, cockpit graphics are a bit less so but adequate. I landed it at NAS North Island and she seemed a bit forgiving re: landing but, hey I’m not a real-life pilot so take that with a grain.
Overall I hope they get the many glitches sorted because the subject at least is a good one.

One more paint uploaded:
jk0369 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk0351 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

4 Likes