[RELEASED] Ant's Airplanes Tiger Moth

I used to fly a Tiger Moth, I’ve had both Ant’s freeware and then payware for P3D. I will be getting this, it will be as good as it can be within the limitations of the game.

Don’t know much about this but seeing the feature list and the quick videos, this looks super unique and detailed! Snap purchase!

I’m already in love with this thing & I haven’t even got the engine started yet! ( working through the proper start routine ).

Brief first impressions - model is fanntastic, never flown a Moth but it flies about how I’d expect from being around a few, love the rattles & vibrating bits, no loops in the audio. Think it needs a bit of wear & tear & dirt in the corners & possibly a bit more feel, feels a little remote to fly sometimes ( mostly landing, aerobatics feel good ) - tricky one that given how much this sort of a/c is flown on feel. I’m encouraging a friend who did his taildragger traininng in one to try it. Nice job!

I would love a piece of string tied on the rigging somewhere! and also, I can’t remember if the tailskid was steerable? seems a bit easy to steer on the ground. Minor thing though.

Couple of bits of raw footage:
MSFS Shorts: Tiger Moth startup - YouTube - who forgot the throttle, eh :smiley:
MSFS Shorts: Tiger Moth first circuit - YouTube - definitely not the actual circuit at Goodwood, but was more interested in just flying. I think this could definitely do with some visible buffet around stall, but not sure if you can do that without a bunch of custom code. It felt like it wasn’t going to slow down & then slowed down a lot, so that is something to get used to.

Been for a longer flight, what a great aircraft. Makes me want VR.

4 Likes

Here is my quick look and first flight

1 Like

What a wonderful addon! As simple as it is, it is excellent.

1 Like

I bought it and I like it. The sheer number of options here, for things most people would never even think about it, shows that this was made by people who were geeking out over the Tiger Moth in the best possible way.

Under $20 it’s a no-brainer for anybody who wants a vintage low-and-slow sight-seeing aircraft or just appreciates its historical significance.

3 Likes

It’s 24 €, but that’s fine.

Loving it! The dev’s managed to bring over all the unique features of the P3D model into MSFS with some clever use of the in-game checklist window and via a tucked away tablet that you can re-position in a number of spots. All the adjustable little things like changing various instruments, prop spinners, wind-guage speed thingy on the strut, pitot tube type and a ton more are here. There’s also a GPS tucked away as well that you can reposition where you like along an invisible arc.

You have the full startup procedure with the camera moving outside the plane so you can open up the engine bay to prime it, twist the oil doodad and check the spark plugs, up front as well to pull the prop through and then let her rip. It even has the audio cues. Oil use is simulated as well and you can toggle an option in the tablet to make oil and fuel levels persistent between flights.

She flies really nice, I didn’t experience any of the sudden swinging you sometimes get in MSFS biplanes when taking off, it was all very civilised. She flies really nice and cruises along sedately. I did a few spins, loops and stalls and it felt good to me (not a pilot though so what do I know?). The sounds are good and it’s a real joy to fly. You fly from the rear and you can have a passenger up front, either via a ‘smart’ system where it shows if you have weight added to that position or you can just make it show or hide regardless based on a tablet option. I left the passenger on as peering around the guy up front is part of the fun of flying old bi-planes. Well at least it is for me!

She does look great but the textures could be a bit better I suppose. The internal ones do look a little bit blurry if you zoom up close to the instrument panels but from a regular flying position they look decent. External model is great but the textures are a little bit on the bland side. Everything looks a bit too pristine and shiny for my tastes but overall she does look good. That’s mostly just me nitpicking and you need to have some balance in your impressions otherwise you just come across as gushing :wink:

If you can’t tell already I love this plane and would recommend it.

2 Likes

€16.80/$16.18 from SimMarket.

I got it from their website as it was not yet available elsewhere.

It’s ok, the plane is worth it.

Wow, thanks for that nice report! It sounds great.

I bet the talented livery painters will be along soon to rough her up a bit with some wear & tear and imperfections — whilst also increasing the resolution!

Those extra features do sound fun, so this is being purchased for sure!

Loop, turn, slip and spin is fine but I can’t get it to roll. I managed to do a roll at last, but it was a near desaster.

As the pilot handbook mentions, the Tiger Moth has quite poor roll response because unlike many biplanes it only has one set of ailerons.

1 Like

Well, the real one flies a nice Cuban 8, this one doesn’t.

Anyway, it’s a minor thing.

Does it manage a Jamaican 8? It’s the same as a Cuban one but just a bit more “relaxed” < cough, cough >

2 Likes

Yes, that fits, haha. But, the pilot isn’t relaxed at all then.

You could be if you had the right “stuff”, but it probably wouldn’t stay alight in that cockpit!

It’s £15 at Justflight, and it’s been very many years since that was €24

I’m not the most accurate pilot ever - I couldn’t fly a nice cuban 8 in the easiest aircraft anyway - but you can get this rolling, this was my 2nd-3rd attempt or so ( I’m well aware wings aren’t level over the top, remember what I said about accuracy :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

I’m curious, for those of us like myself who have the Stearman and are trying to decide whether we can justify buying another biplane, what makes the Tiger Moth feel different and special to fly in comparison?

2 Likes

Like Indiafoxtecho, the DNA of AntsAirplanes (and this Moth) goes back to their best-in-class freeware in COF2004. (Many of us will recall early efforts to shoehorn another version of this Moth into this sim) Both developers are still top shelf. In fact, I passed on the Stearman for just that reason. Besides, the Moth is far lovelier-- small, narrow, and forgiving. Perfect for vfr anywhere.

2 Likes