RMI pointing to localiser Antenna?!

That was interesting, thank you!

Ok - The 10 degree deviation is hogwash. I have approached the ILS being 90 degrees out, and it sees the ILS signal and directs me which way I am supposed to turn to line up on it. I have done thousands of them, ATC routinely in FSX will bring me in way out in left field, but I get the ILS at least 20 miles out sometimes longer than that. I think someone on here don’t understand how it all works. And, the picture on the OP’s post that on the screen clearly on CDI and not LOC1, so it’s never going to work unless it’s tuned correctly, assuming the correct frequency is input, and no, you cannot trust MSFS to have the correct frequency in it’s database, I have found several incorrect and never got the ILS to work, but I got the frequency direct from a Approach Plate less than 2 week old. The Navdata in this sim is not up to date all the time.

The “10 degrees” isn’t referring to the intercept angle - it refers to the width of the transmitted localizer beam. You can definitely intercept the beam at a 90 degree angle (although that is not recommended) but the strength of the received localizer signal drops rapidly once you get more than 10 degrees either side of the beam center.

If you listen to the morse code identifier of an active ILS transmitter while on a midfield downwind to the ILS runway, (in a real airplane) the received signal will be very weak and noisy until you get well past the airport, and start the turn to a base leg, at which point the signal strength picks up rapidly.

Ok, now got it. Thank you.

Yes I’ve noticed, thats why I used the conventional C172 for testing. Seems to work as it should though.

The odd thing is that your bearing pointers (the needles in blue) are pointing to the localiser antenna when selected to NAV 1/2, thats the point I’m trying to make. They should disappear in real life.

You can think of a VOR as a lighthouse, it first sends a flash of light in all directions and then a rotating light goes all the way around starting from magnetic north. Your receiver starts timing when receiving the first flash of light until hit by the second flash of light from the rotating beam. Knowing the RPM of the rotating light and the time it can figure out the radial. Magnetic north being the shortest time between the two (0) and radial 359 being the longest, then the cycle repeats.

Thats a mickey mouse way of explaining how a VOR works :joy:

1 Like

I’m sorry, what did I tune wrong? ILS frequency is manually set, identified and nav source on LOC 1.

I’m not complaining about the ILS. The odd thing is that the bearing pointers (blue needles) are pointing towards the localiser antenna, something which does not happen in real life. RMIs and bearing pointers never point towards an localiser.

I created a wishlist item regarding navaids: Navaid Improvements for IFR flying

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.