RTX 2080 Ti owners, I'd like your input

Hello,

I’m having a bit of trouble getting my rig to perform smoothly in VR, using an HP Reverb G2.
I’ve now watched a few people on YT who claim to have some “set and forget” settings, however, I’m still struggling with a rather jittery experience.
Appreciating that every rig is different, I just can’t seem to find the right settings for having a good experience. Only trying to get the JustFlight Arrow to be nice & smooth at this stage.

Hardware:
Ryzen 9 5900X
64Gb RAM @ 3600Mhz
2x Asus RTX 2080Ti Turbo
MSI X570 Prestige Creation MoBo
Samsung NVMe 970 Pro 500Gb

• several SSD Samsung Pro drives

Basic settings I’m at again now:

Render scale at 100% in OpenXR and MSFS
Motion RePro on automatic
NIS on 90% size, sharpening 40%
Foveated rendering: Preset

All graphics setting in MSFS are around the Medium / High marks.

More than happy to provide more settings if required.

Thanks guys, hopefully someone out there has a deeper understanding of it all.

Cheers!

Motion reprojection turned off is where I’d start first, my 2080ti hates it on.

Also inside nvidia control panel set your VR pre-rendered frames to 1 or 2 and the next setting above it to “fast”.

Running a 2080 Super here with very smooth results with a G2.

I’ve always followed along with Pie in the Sky Tours at MSFS | IMPROVE YOUR VR | ULTIMATE GUIDE - YouTube The OpenXR Toolkit is a must have. All the info can be found at OpenXR Toolkit (upscaling, world scale, hand tracking...) - Release thread - #7 by StingUSA If you go without the OpenXR Toolkit, I suggest dropping your in game to 70% which has worked very well for me.

1 Like

I have my G2 set to 60 hz with motion repo ON. With 60hz and motion repo ON, you will sync at 30 fps.

BTW, Vsync = FAST in the NCP does not apply to VR.

There seems to be a lot of “drag” with high Terrain LOD settings. I have mine at 75 or lower in VR.

I am not sold on NIS and Sharpening. I prefer to get my performance gains in the sim. However, I would recommend turning down Sharpening to 15%.

I would give a try to 60% Render Scale with TAA and x8 Texture Supersampling. Texture resolution LOW. This is a big one because more pixels means more processing.

Shimmering is reduced by turning Trees and Buildings to LOW.

This is as smooth as I can get it right now.

You may ignore this… but if you do you will regret it… in the nvidia control panel set fps to 30… problem solved. Trust me. Try it. Don’t judge me. Yet…

2 Likes

I have 2080TI, & it does a pretty good job. I just did a new build I9 12900, nvme m.2, DDR 5, win 11,HP G2, & really haven’t time to tweak anything. I cut/pasted to the new ssd, so my settings are the same as with win 10. I will be considering a new graphics card in the near future, but for now, I’m doing OK.

1 Like

Anytime I set fps limit whether in game or nvidia it stutters but I see others have good experience

1 Like

Yes, the FPS limit works in the NCP, but it is not as efficient as the in game Vsync or Motion Smoothing.

FXAA also must be On in both the NCP and in the game settings to work. This is a very lightweight AA and is good if you are running full resolution.

1 Like

2080 Ti on Oculus

The ONLY main setting for me to get rid of stutter, but maybe not necessarily a “smooth” picture was to disable reprojection in Oculus.

I was able to get a steady 30+ fps which is enough for my eyes and inner ear so as not to be barfing on my lap. May not be a “butter smooth” experience, but its not stuttery.

Thank you everyone, I’ll dive back into it.

One, perhaps, silly question:
Would it help setting my Windows monitor resolution to 1920x1080 from 4K when doing a VR flight?
I’d love to just run the VR headset off my secondary GPU, but MSFS’s code is to ancient to even think of that possibility, I’m afraid…at least I haven’t gotten it to work yet.

I have a fairly old system now, 2080ti, 3900X, 32GB. Can run the sim, including airliners at fairly complex areas in ultra, quite well.

With the Quest 2 however, including watching Pie in the Sky tours on YT for example, my VR is awful. I can read stuff just about inside the cockpit but anything outside the cockpit is just a blur. I have tried many things across the latest BETA of OPEN XR, tray tool, debug tool.

I give up essentially and just use desktop mode

I had 2080 super with an i9 11900k cpu OC 4.8ghz and 64GB ram. I saw the 3080ti was back in stock at my local stores. I immediately ordered it. Installed it 2 days ago, massive improvement I’m so impressed. The card is a beast. I knew 2080 was limiting my CPU capability. It’s a match made in heaven. I use the Varjo Aero.

I say if anyone is able to upgrade to the latest CPUs and 3080 and above GPUs then it is a must for VR.

I tried to make the 2080 super work with all kinds of settings and troubleshooting but just not enough juice to give me the best clarity with the best performance as I’m experiencing now. I wished these cards were much cheaper in cost so everyone can go out there and buy them today.

I have a 2080, 9700k, 32GB memory, Reverb G2 and is really satisfied with the result right now.
Steady 30+ (over New York, Low altitiude in FBW A32NX it drops to like 26-27.

Windows
Game Mode Off
HAGS Off

NCP
Max performance
All other settings unchanged

OXR 100%
Motion Reprojection Off

OpenXR Toolkit
FSR 80%
FOV preset Wide/quality

MSFS 2020
TAA 100%
TLOD/OLOD 100
Textures High
Volumetric Clouds High
Buildings/Trees Medium
Ambient occlusion Off
Most other settings Medium

2080 Super, 3900x, 32GB, NVRAM SSDs, Quest 2 via Airlink, many optimizations & tuning

VR is running okay. Not incredibly fast, some compromises, but useable. However, MSFS seems to be CPU bound most time. I am thinking about upgrading my CPU first, before upgrading my GPU. Maybe I wait until the Geforce 4xxx cards are out.

Anyone else expierenced limited single thread performance of the 3900x in a way that MSFS gets mostly CPU bound?

hello @s44rgg what optimizations did you do?

game mode on/off?
nvidia 3D settings?
in-game resolution and settings?
“flightsimulator.exe” any changes?
gpu any changes with msi afterburner?
cpu any changes with ryzen master?
rams do you use xmp profile?

My MSFS2020 has ran perfectly well on RTX3080 Ti… a while aho the program crashes when GPU TEMP reaches 75 C degrees and the fan runs at 1500 RPM. All standard procedures for curing such problems applied already GPU has delivered goid results under stress test. Thks for any help

Cap your framrate to 45 or below in Nvidia settings. Also use MSI Afterburner to regulate the fans

Capt your recommendation works!!! Thank you very much indeed! Happy landings and greetings from LFSB! Urs

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.