Run update download in background

Hi yall, the tittle says it all, how do i run it while download in background so it doesnt intervene with other applications ? basically i want to play gta v with Xbox Controller while its downloading, but everytime i press the “X” button on my xbox controller, MSFS2020 respond to it too and bring me to the link for language settings. same if i use keyboard too, everytime i press enter its always bring me to the link above. Hope you guys understand me, Thankss

This it is not currently possible to minimize the installer. One thing you can try is putting the installer on another desktop (windows key + tab)

yup already tried that still no luck, really wish theres a feature to disable the xbox controller input for FS2020, im not gonna use it for Flightsimming anyway

1 Like

Flight Simulator would be much easier to install if it downloaded updates in the background. Everytime I’ve tried to install it and something has gone wrong. I have to start from the beginning. Please fix how the game is downloaded and installed! I do not have a fast internet connection!

of course it would be nice to still show what has been updated. and this auto updater should be optional. but it should be it’s own, very lightweight program that automatically takes care of updates. It’ll be great for those who have slow internet and dont want to leave flight sim running, using high CPU (which might be needed for other things) just to download 5GB of (hopefully) fixed content.

the standalone program should sync it’s download/instal settings with the main game. and vice versa. and you should be able to see DL speed, game statistics, self throttling for updates, and self throttling for game content streaming (slower internets who have multiple users might want to only use half of their 50mbps internet instead of the whole thing, without using a 3rd party app throttling app) - also, it would be nice if you could schedule when the standalone program downloads, and create rules. “dont download when another game is running. dont download when ableton live or premiere is running. dont download when a video streaming website is open in a browser. dont download when -custom- app is open” stuff like that.

3 Likes

I can’t agree more!

Last update took about 40 minutes in total with several steps and manual button clicking etc. That is not good use of my quality time. Make it automatic in the background!

Really stupid to prompt the user about the update if it is mandatory to play. Turn the logic around and let the user pause the update if desired. When I start the game, it shall already be updated, like all games in Steam.

1 Like

Capturing controller/gamepad input in the background while the sim itself is running has some reasonable utility, but doing it while the updater downloads is absurd behavior.

Anyone who is building downloaders/updaters as if they’re a foreground app needs to think harder about what they’re doing. Or perhaps outsource the thinking to someone with a more suitable skill set. The sooner they do it, the better.

2 Likes

Can we get a way to have the game client update the packages when the computer is idle? Can there be a MSFS updater utility that can run in the background?

It seems every time I want to fly (which isn’t too much as I’m still waiting for the quality of the IFR experience to improve) I have to sit through five plus gigabytes of downloads, plus manually updating the content manager page. By the time it’s all said and done, I’ve spent sometimes almost two hours getting ready to fly a half hour GA flight. By the time the sim is ready, I’ve forgotten what I wanted to do or see, or simply gone to do something else (not in MSFS).

I have 200 hours in game, and just over 100 in the air. I know planning, runup, and taxi will eat into a chunk of that time, but it’s no stretch to say at least 25% of my time in game is spent just waiting to play it, and since I purchased from Steam, I’m locked out of any other title while it does so.

There’s got to be a better way to get updates to the users. Especially while such large file sizes. My 50Mbps connection meets the “ideal” requirement for the game, and all my other uses, so I don’t feel internet speed is what is creating such an undesirable user experience.

And yes, this was all posted while updating. 4.67GiB / 5.25GiB on the main screen. Can’t wait to see how many more are needed when the game finally does load.

Edit: 3.62GB more!

2 Likes

Yup - its annoying that this is still the case… I’ve got ~93Gb of updates to download over a 50Mb it connection. Yet having the main FS2020 program running in the background screws with mouse capture in other games - so you can’t even use the PC uninterrupted when the updates are running.

Given that this is a multi-hour download, and that they’re rather common, it would make perfect sense to have a standalone downloader / updater application that doesn’t screw with the operation of the desktop while its downloading multiple hours worth of updates…

6GB mandatory update after a 300MB background update before I can play the game. Why can’t it install in the background rather than waiting for me to start the game?!

i think when downloading world updates in the background i think it would be a good idea if possible if we didn’t have to have our Xbox consoles left on while the console version of the world update like Canada for example is being downloaded and installed in the content manager screen xbox does consume a lot of power after all anyway just a suggestion nothing more

1 Like

Much prefer the Steam method of updating games.

Launch Steam app → see an update for a game I own → start download → play a different game/do some work → game is updated.

Never have to run other games to update them, appears to be a requirement only for MSFS.