Runway Tears Awareness (Added link to new Bug Report)

My tests and observations … which I also posted in the “official” bug discussion …

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/runway-tears-terrain-issues-in-photogrammetry-areas/324479/20

show …

• that 1.11.6.0 seems better at preventing and faster at healing those tile-edge cracks
  • but the fundamental problem (of tile-edge cracks) is still present

I just did rerun my “drone tile crack check” tests at KBFI and I had cases where the rendering (geometry) pipeline needed multiple seconds (10+) to heal some runway cracks.

It seems like “ground level tiles” are competing in the pipeline with other 3D objects (like buildings and aircraft) and depending on how large the “backlog” in the pipeline is the progressive healing of those cracks will take more or less time.

While in water surfaces the cracks are permanent (do not heal) … at least in 1.11.6.0 I so far was not able to trigger a tile crack that would not heal after a (long) period of time.

The problem for real use of the game is, that while a drone cam can stay at one place and “watch” the progressive healing an aircraft is always moving and this basically forces the game engine to constantly reconsider the priorities within the scenary … do you heal a surface (which might not be visible in 20 frames) … or do you preload a surface which will enter the view in 80 frames.

This is not trivial to resolve.

1 Like