Scenery creators: please move or rename your modelLib.BGL

@BMW969
May be you got me wrong!?
Because I tried it with two airports and it is working.
Changing the “modelLib.BGL” name to e.g. LOWK_modelLib.BGL in the layout.json file and then
changing the name in the scenery/global/scenery folder also to LOWK_modelLib.BGL made the two airports showing up correctly.

Scott

1 Like

May be. But if I change the name in the editor, then in Blender I have to reassign all the images. Perhaps this works as a temporary fix.

Think ScottMDA is talking about doing it as a user rather than a developer. Agree that this would only be a “temporary” fix until the addon dev changed the original but would resolve the conflicts that are being referred to.

But don’t you have to keep all text to lower case? Think using LOWK (upper case) may cause other problems? Just a thought.

Haven’t seen any problems with uppercase!?

Scott

There are a lot of freeware out which has following path:…\scenery\mycompany\modelLib.BGL

How to handle that ?

Have a look in my posts above and you will see the solution.
AND, yes, it is a lot of work depending of the number of addons.

Scott

Sorry, but this did not answer my question. :wink:
The location /scenery/global/scenery/modelLib.BGL I have all changed (Lot of work it is)

My fault,sorry.

Leave them like they are, every path different to"scenery/global/scenery is ok.

Scott

Would be nice if asobo came out and shared this info with people in the sdk ,so we had some official word that so and so is required. Surely it would be really easy and reduce issue’s.

2 Likes

I beg to disagree - the proper solution to this problem is for Asosbo to change the core engine and SDK such that it is impossible for the SDK to produce conlicts.

Of course there will always be the case where two addons try to edit the same object or region but this is, and always will be, a user issue to sort out. What Asobo need to do to faciliate this is to code in a well defined, well documented addon priority system.

1 Like

As far as I am aware, using something like “mycompany” is fine, as it creates the uniqueness required to prevent conflicts.

Hopefully someone here with more experience with the SDK can confirm.

That will only work if the developer changes “MyCompany” to a unique company name, most do not and leave it as the literal “MyCompany”

I ´am also not shure if this is not the same in green, like the global path. :thinking:

I just checked my files using MSFS Addons Linker - Check Addon tool and I have 80+ addons that are using modelLib.BGL. Is there a script available or program (total commander?) that would let you change names of the files and the entries in the layout.json in one batch?

For (re)generating layout.json you can use https://github.com/HughesMDflyer4/MSFSLayoutGenerator
you could call this in a .bat file. First rename the modelLib, then regenerate layout.json

Thanks. I’ll give it a go.

I don’t think that’s true as a cause. The MSFS, like all its predecessors, searches for the GUID and this is unique if you do not use the same one in several sceneries. Names are smoke and mirrors in FS

1 Like

MSFSLayoutGenerator worked like a charm. I managed to rename all my addons in less than 10 minutes.

I used total commander to find all modelLib.BGL files (branch view option) and after batch renaming them (I added counter 1_modelLib.BGL, 2_modelLib.BGL, …) I dragged the layout.json files onto closed MSFSLayoutGenerator.exe one by one (I’m lazy and I couldn’t be bothered with the .bat file).

I have developed a small app on the fly.
ModelLibChanger scans your community folder for the wrong modelLib.BGL and offers you the possibility to rename them and adjust the layout.json at the same time. I tested this with a few airports and landmarks, but I can’t guarantee that it works with all (wrong) add-ons. Backup your community folder before using.

Should be available on Flightsim.to in a moment:

5 Likes

Yes. I also think, if this duplicate filename thing would be such a problem, we would see so many addons not working at all. But thats not the case.

3 Likes