Semi-Planned Skyhawk Trips (Start: Tasmania/YBHB)

George Town (YGTO) → Killiecrankie (YRCK).
Difficulty: 2/5
POI’s: 4

Summary:
What began as a normal flight in the Roaring Forties became something way more challenging once we approached our destination. You see, I don’t usually check up on the airfields I’m landing at - as long as they are in range, they are viable for me. Imagine my surprise when Killiecrankie Airfield turned out to be a narrow strip of dirt cut into a dense forest where I constantly felt as if my wing tips were touching the trees…

POI’s:

As I said it started out like any other flight - nice, calm and with a beautiful sunrise in front of us. We followed the Northern coast of Tasmania east past Beechford (1) with a strong tailwind of about 40 knots.

At Double Sandy Point (2) near Bridport more and more smaller and larger bays appeared, creating a bit of a distance between our route and the land itself.

Goodbye Tasmania! This shot, which I took above Waterhouse Island (3) will be the last view of our “tutorial island” for the time being - if all goes well I intend to return here some distant day.

Crossing the Southern part of Bass Strait we arrived on Flinders Island with its airfield Flinders I (4). From here it was only a short skip over to our destination in Killiecrankie.