Sim now seems incapable of rendering overcast consistently or accurately using live weather

Don’t need comparisons - there are many threads about the weather engine not doing what it is supposed to do at the moment !
Further explained - this is when you (mostly unnecessary) “switch” to “METAR Engine” (or whatever that is supposed to be) without really testing it (absolutely not questioning the hard work of the Asobo or MS team or their intention, absolutely not - I can only repeat I love MSFS since the Alpha).
Furthermore, if you are going to do this, you need to know the terms from METAR like in this case - SCT017CB (Cumulonimbus, for METAR) or acronyms like CI (Cirrus) or CS (Cirostratus) etc. etc. and the engine MUST be able to render them otherwise it is “useless” (also related to forecast or whatever source you take if you want it to be quite “accurate”)
Of course I can’t say if this is just a current problem and will be solved as soon as possible (all the “complaints” are for nothing ), or if it is the “new” approach that is being applied !
with best regards !