Some consensus on the naming of things?

The A20N is fine ?

My issue would be in a world populated by B737 and C172 if it said OTTER how are people not getting this?

I don’t think you are getting it. I’m not stating what should be, only what is. If you don’t like it you can change it yourself. Change “A20N” to “A320”.

Here is a list to get you started:

The Quest Kodiak 100 is going to be an interesting one for you, because its ICAO code is KODI, which seems to clash with your personal namespace.

According to this page, its either SASP, or it really is SPIT:

OK here’s a meme … does this help cause you are still not getting it.

If you can tell me what the official ICAO code is for an aircraft that doesn’t officially exist, then I’d love to hear it.

Don’t die on this hill, friend.

1 Like

Is it sinking in yet?

It really is SPIT, or SASP if you prefer. Look at the link I posted above. :slight_smile:

Same as KODI. If you are happy with KODI, for the Kodiak, why not SPIT for the Spitfire.

And I say MK25 or MK26 would be far more professional.

As would SU72 over DORK … yes that’s petty

Thanks for the link.

That image shows both SPIT, and SASP as their “Type Designator”. I guess you have your answer. Perhaps you should contact the ICAO, and give them your suggestion?

https://www.icao.int/Pages/default.aspx

OK fine, then I guess my argument is are we using model or type designation.

If we’re using type then we need variation but if everything else is the same?

Note the 737, we will not see 732, 733, 734, 735, 736 but what we do have are variants going to market as in 737-700 737-800, which makes more sense.

Edit Note: If I were in charge the wedge-tail variant would be E-7A

You would only see those if the plane exists in the sim. If it doesn’t you will see it as GEN instead, as in a generic 2 engine jet, rather than a B736. I’m referring to Live traffic here.

If a developer had really created a Boeing 737-600, and they had configured its designator as B736, then that’s what you would see.

which is way lameo

I wonder if you could customise the “Asobo-aircraft-generic-airliner-twinengines” package, creating a clone of it to support whatever planes you would like to see in the sim?

It might not work if Asobo, during the live traffic injection, have a master list server side that overwrites the ICAO code of the injected traffic to “ASOBO2J”, and therefore display as “GEN”.

The SDK “seems to suggest” that ICAO_TYPE_DESIGNATOR value is matched against the ICAO real world data.
That is NOT the field used for ATC though.

ATC_TYPE and ATC_MODEL are used in ATC callouts and are not cross checked for validity. So it looks like you can type anything you like in here.

I’m not sure which is used if you switch on lables

That’s what I infer simply referring to the files itself. Relevant lines in bold.

[GENERAL]
atc_type = "TT:ATCCOM.ATC_NAME AIRBUS.0.text"
atc_model = "TT:ATCCOM.AC_MODEL_A20N.0.text"
Category = “airplane”
performance = “Engines\nCFM-56 5B rated at 26,500 lbs\n\nTypical Cruise Speed\n0.78 Mach at 35,000 ft\n\nMax Speed\nVmo 350 kts Mmo 0.82 Mach\n\nRange(150 pax)\n2,900 nm (5,374 km)\n\nMax Fuel\n42,230 lbs (6,303 US gal)\n\nMax Takeoff Weight\n162,040 lbs\n\nMax Gross Weight (taxi weight)\n162,900 lbs\n\nMax Payload\n42,370 lbs”
editable = 1
wip_indicator = 2
icao_type_designator = "A20N"
icao_manufacturer = “AIRBUS”
icao_model = “A-320neo”
icao_engine_type = “Jet”
icao_engine_count = 2
icao_WTC = “M”

Apparently the type designator is used to match real world traffic to models in the sim.

1 Like