State of VR in Flight Sim

Hopefully Asobo will listen to the results of this survey, and give VR the attention it deserves…

4 Likes

I also reverted back to 2D because

• Good 4K HDR displays look beautiful, current VR displays just cannot compete, need 5K HDR VR
  • You can dial up the settings in 2D and get much better visual quality
  • Discovered AiTrack+OpenTrack - I get 6DOF tracking and when set up right I find is just as good as wearing a VR HMD for head tracking without needing anything strapped to my head :joy:
  • Overexaggerated VR experience - it’s just added depth - it doesn’t feel real in any other sense to me, you don’t feel g forces etc… A lot of the other stuff has been done to death by Wii Motion controllers, Kinect …

When the HMDs get smaller with better HDR displays and better GPUs I’m sure they’ll become much more appealing. In the meantime I hope the developers can keep optimising the sim for that day.

1 Like

It amazes me that two people can have such opposite reactions to the same technology. It appears that your opinion of VR is based mainly on its visual aspect and that there really is nothing much to “feel.” For me VR is all about the “feel.” Sure, the visual is less than perfectly clear, and there are no g forces, but it feels real enough that my imagination can fill in the gaps.

12 Likes

You’ve never owned VR to be able to REVERT back to 2D…but go on :smirk: :rofl:

3 Likes

Exactly. Once you know you can taste it, looking at a nice picture of a beautiful dish is never going be enough for me. It would be difficult to explain to someone if they really can’t feel it.

I guess my brain is more easily fooled than some, and I wish to stay that way forever. Give me the blue pill.

2 Likes

There also are a lot of over-exaggerated hype reviews about how great VR.

1 Like

Oh God, really!

I did purchace new CPU, new GPU, new superultrawide screen and it was perfect with undervolted 3080ti. Still, VR did take me along one month ago when i did get used G2 headset for 350 euros. Cant see coming back soon, however i like fly long haul jets in 2d and there is good AI traffic addon coming so maeby 2d flying for a bit and then back to bush flying in VR maeby with new Arpara VR glasses (if they are good as mentioned elsewhere).

1 Like

I am certainly with you there. I went to VR in Jan 2017 and have not gamed on 2d monitor since. And won’t.

4 Likes

I think VR is not optimized and full of bugs. Why I am getting 70 fps on high settings on PC and 15 - 20 fps on VR on medium and slideshow by moments and CTD not even reaching 100 gpu or CPU. I am tired of trying different settings. I need my BS in MSFS or Master from a prestigious university from all the research I have done so far. I will fly VR in xplane at night and during the day I will have to learn how to fly again on 2D. Once of the things I love of VR is that I do not have to be using shortcuts or stuff everything is visible on the cockpit something I cannot do in 2D.

1 Like

I had to go back to 2d when my g2 was away for repair and it was awful. It felt so detached and uninvolved compared to the immersion VR offers. I can never go back to 2d.

Having said that I am disapointed in the state of vr in msfs at the moment. I have a top spec system but even with that I can either have it too blurry or too jerky. If oxr MR could work like steamvr (I know not the fault of msfs) then I would be happy, of it VR was optimised enough to gain an additional 20-30% fps so I could use vr at 100/100 and not have to use NIS which gives an inferior image. Plus all the non-vr issues with CTDs, live weather not working, throttle mapping issues, has led to me taking a break from MSFS and spending more time on DCS, IL2 and ACC which give a far more comfortable VR experience. I will return to msfs when/ if things improve.

3 Likes

In my opinion the things that are truly exaggerated and over-hyped are 4K and ray tracing.

Internet is full of videos of people screaming their lungs out trying something as silly as a roller-coaster simulation in VR. I put my aunt in VR in Xplane; it almost gave her a heart attack when the plane crashed.

Have you ever heard anyone saying: this horror game would be too scary for me to play with ray tracing on?

Want depth? Try my setup!

Motherboard: Asus Rog Hero x11 wifi Z490
55" curved oled Tv.
CPU: Intel i9-10900K @5.3ghz per core.
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 turbo
CPU-Cooler: Liquid cooled 240mm
PSU: Kolink 1200watt Platinum
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4/3600mhz
M.2 NVME SSD: 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
M.2 NVME SSD: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
SSD: NVME Samsung 970 EVO 1GB Storage.
5.1 logitech sound system Soundblaster Z.
Next level V3 Motion platform on Next level GT Track rig.
2 Buttkickers on race rig with 300watt earthquake amp.
Sim Racing studio wind and tactile generators.
Saitek Quadrant.
Saitek Multi panel.
Honeycomb Alpha Yoke.
Honeycomb Bravo Throttle controller.
Saitek fuel controller and deicer levers.
Thrustmaster Rudder.
VR Pimax 8kx KDMAS

Fanatec CSL DD Wheel with boost pack.
SS studios Switch Panel
Truck switch/brake panel
Fanatec CSL FFB Pedals
Fanatec Gearshift.
Dorec handbrake.
MAN range/splitter gearlever.

400mbit Virgin fibreoptic net.

Wow! You could have bought a real plane with the money you spent on all that kit. :laughing:

2 Likes

My new policy for running flightsims in VR is to have a budget in mind, and then at least triple it.

I’ve been disappointed in the past by underestimating what is required. I have been at this VR thing since the first oculus dk1 release. I am fairly satisfied now.

So for racing and flight sim, are you in VR most of the time or in 2D on that giant OLED tv? Clearly you can run VR as well as anybody with the hardware so I’m curious when you use 2D and when you tend to use Vr…does it depend on the type of flying or driving? My setup is similar to yours and tend to use VR almost exclusively now but from time to time have a go at 2D with its better graphics….but always come back to the VR immersion.

Pretty much sums it up with my initial experience of MSFS 's release before the VR update.
I just couldn’t get into it even with TrackIR, I found myself flying for maybe 10 minutes tops or just droning around taking screenshots in pancake mode. I’ve been using VR since 2014 and trying to game through a pancake monitor just feels so detached and bland. I have a really nice monitor at that (165hz Asus Swift PG278QR) VR is a virtual place…its a mood…I feel more in touch with the aircraft I’m flying when i can sit outside of it and stare at it in full scale size and stereoscopic 3D.

Flying a monstrous twin prop and looking out of each side window to see those giant engines twisting the propellers that keep me aloft. When seeing this stuff in stereoscopic 3d you really get a feeling of “wow those propellers are really chopping through the air giving me this fast forward velocity!!” Looking down at passing terrain passing by those 3d rendered houses and buildings as I final approached and touch down on the runway. Flying past islands and cities knowing I can really land down there and those buildings will tower me in full FOV scale height. Sorry for anyone who can’t experience nor grasp this immersion.

VR has really opened up another dimension in our minds. Flights, moods and emotions are much more memorable experiences. In 2D I’ve never felt this connected to the simulated earth and aircraft.
Its really a wonderful time to be alive and share this with other VR enthusiast who understand and can embrace everything I’ve just typed!:beers:

8 Likes

Both VR and 2D pancake mode have their pros and cons as far as I’m concerned. I can enjoy both for different reasons and I’m quite happy to flip between the two depending on what I want to do.

The upsides to VR are obvious so I won’t go into them here but one of the downsides for me is that I just don’t like wearing a VR headset for very long. For me VR is something I enjoy in short bursts. I recently upgraded from a Quest 2 to a Reverb G2 and the G2 is way more comfortable but even so I can wear it for 20 minutes max before I just find it irritating. Also, I just don’t think I like being disconnected from reality for longer than that. I need to take a physical and psychological breather after 15 or 20 mins flying in VR.

VR does also bring in to play certain technical problems with the sim which don’t bother me so much in pancake mode. Take terrain morphing for example. Flying up over the Eiger in the H145 is utterly breath taking in VR but it is slightly spoiled by the fact that if you get anywhere close to the mountain in looks like its melting. That sort of thing doesn’t bother me so much on the screen. Its also a fairly unique problem to flying low and slowly in a helicopter. I hope one day Asobo can one day fix the terrain morphing. I know its been asked of them.

I love my G2 now that I’ve got it working really well with the NIS software. The sim looks good and performance is acceptable (something which I never got with my Quest 2) but all that being said I still think VR is in its early days. Once we get wide field of view headsets that are really sharp across the whole viewing area at high resolutions I think it’ll be incredible.

In a couple of years or maybe more people will wonder how they ever enjoyed the sim in a headset thats as low res and narrow field of view as the G2. Its such a fast growing area of tech. Its just a shame its so darn expensive. Currently you kind of can’t but not have the highest spec PC to enjoy it properly.

1 Like

You just have to try other games :rofl:

KQAgIUy.jpg (640×359) (imgur.com)

20 minutes max ? i can play hours in VR.

2 Likes