Stuttering issue when custom skin is used for add-on plane (root-cause and how to fix it)

Hello Team,

I wanted to share something I suffer last week-end, and find the root-cause, and solve it, and i’m pretty sure it could help people to know what happened here.

TL;DR : If you encountered stuttering issue every two seconds using a “add-on” airplane, it could be cause because someone else using the same airplane in the area use custom livery. The way to fix it is, changing your server, or add the livery on your folder. This issue doesn’t seem to be there with “standard MFS airplane”.

The long story : I’m playing a lot with the P28-R from Just Flight, that’s my first add-on and i love it.
I’m playing with few friends and we use the same airplane.

This week-end we made a full flight crossing France, everything was working fine.
Then, we make a little pause, and go back to the game, and I was suffering for a huge stuttering (like, the screen freeze litteraly every 2 seconds) without any way to fix it… I let my friend move and just try to fix it myself and was thinking it was an issue with the airport (Nice airport) since world update. I disable few things and, everything was working well.

Then, arriving at my destination where my friend was, stuttering just coming back. So i remove all my add on, reinstall things, try to check a LOT of settings, nothing to fix the stuttering, even moving to LOW setting in 1080p instead of Ultra 4K, same issue.

The next day, i was preparing my plane, everything was working well.
Then, my friend join me, and stuttering coming back. For the joke we said it’s his fault everytime we share a server i suffer from stuttering… But somehow we fix it, i wasn’t able to see the plane of my friend but didn’t add any stuttering, so, we move forward and go to the air…

One hour later, stuterring coming back, in the same time, my friend told me “Hey ! I can see you”… I was like “Well, that’s awkward because now i suffer stuttering”.

After some checking, we found the issue : We both have the P28-R from Just-Flight, but my friend add custom livery on it. The custom Livery, for some reason, on a add-on Plane, create a large stuttering for everyone in the server using the same airplane (we were 3 having the same airplane and two of us was suffering about stuttering)

We did not encountered this issue with “standard” airplane from MFS, if someone use a custom livery for the SR22 or any airbus, we don’t have any stuttering, it seem to be only when the plane is an “add-on” and the livery is not include “by default” on his add-on.

I think the issue could solve a lot for people suffering from weird stuttering here.
Second thing is the fact that, while i suffer from stuttering, i’m not able to see the airplane with the custom livery at all. It look like my computer try to download it every two seconds without finding a way. The only way to fix it was to add the custom livery on my folder and stuttering goes away.

I wanted to share my experience, the root-cause involve and how to fix it in case Asobo is not aware about that, or anyone of you. Nobody was thinking that a custom livery for a add-on airplane will destroy the performance or all player using the same airplane on the area…

Take care and have a safe flight,
Elu.

This has been discussed at length here: Mutli-player Stuttering after world update - Bug report.

We have found that the livery bug affects default aircraft as well. When one person shows up with a livery that other players in the same aircraft don’t have it causes those players to stutter.

Can’t you just turn off multiplayer?

You certainly can. That would leave you alone in the sky, though, with only AI aircraft for company. :no_mouth:

OK, that’s how I like it anyways. I just use real time traffic and had not experienced what you guys have been experiencing. I hope they get it sorted for y’all.

You can just set multiplayer to use generic models in your traffic settings if you want to prevent other players from loading custom models and liveries.

1 Like

Hello guys,

Thanks for sharing here. I wasn’t aware it was already talk in the big « bug thread » from the last update.

The purpose of this thread is to add the root cause and fix the issue (and explain it) for people like me who had the issue.

I’ll update the first post with the « enable generic » stuff who can help people here.

Sadly MFS didn’t provide any way to easily and automatically download users livery

I was using this livery below, and I arrived at L.A. KLAZ and 27 other AI aircraft had the same Livery?

I’m not sure what you’re getting at. AI aircraft don’t stutter. However, if there were any other live players in the vicinity flying the A320 but who did not own your special livery, they would have stuttered.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I fix it just deleting the A320neo FbW custom livery. Now I can fly (that is the point) with a default livery.

Enrique

Where can i set this? Didnt found it :-/

In your Options go to General Settings. Then under Traffic, you should see the screen where you can set either real online traffic, as well as the slider on how dense you want the sim to populate things like Ground aircraft, ground crews, cars and boats.

Scroll all the way down, and you should see the options for:
Use Generic Model for Multiplayer
Use Generic Model for AI Traffic

Turn these On, and both Multiplayer and AI traffic would be using your generic models. So no more custom model, no more custom liveries, no more stutters.

2 Likes

Sorry, but I set the setting for Generic Model like you said…still problems with stuttering…?!
Personally I have a lot of add-on aircrafts…I get only stuttering in FBW A32X, CRJ500/700 and Carenado PA28, all others without problems…incl. repaints

Yes. In my experience (I do a lot of multiplayer flying) turning on the generic models does nothing to help the stuttering (although it seems logical that it should.)

The only solution we have found is either to turn multiplayer off or, when in a multiplayer flight, insist that everyone use a standard livery.

In your case is it possible that a player nearby is also using one of those aircraft but are using one of their own custom liveries that you don’t own?

Doesn’t matter…I also get stuttering with no one close to me…or at least 50miles or more…
And I use only standard liveries from flightsim.to (official liveries or very special themes)

Anyway…in my opinion the multiplayer or ai feature is a must and I rather stop playing this game and wait for future updates, than turning any helping realistic functions off.

I think myself and many others always forget, that this game is still evolving to its perfection.
But if you already played without problems and tasted a bit of this best ever flightsim build, it’s sometimes hard to keep coolness… :wink:

In that case the stuttering isn’t caused by the custom multiplayer liveries, then… Must be caused by something else.

1 Like

Did some test today.

I can confirm that using generic plane doesn’t solve the issue. My friend had to download the same skin than me to solve the issue

Hi all,
Please use this topic as it has been pushed up to the developers:
[BUG LOGGED] Multiplayer Stuttering after world update - Liveries Bug report - Bugs & Issues / Online Services & Activities - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Thank you!