SU5 Lag only while the camera is turning laterally

Do you have any add-ons in your Community folder? If yes, please remove and retest before posting.
I do, but removing them didn’t fix the issue.
Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
I am using developer mode to get the FPS meter but the issue still happens outside of it.
Brief description of the issue:
When the camera is turning to the left or right (not up and down), whether by mouse input or the plane turning, the game lags. Drops like 10-30 fps.
Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Load into an aircraft. Get a FPS counter up (not required). Move the camera from left to right.
PC specs for those who want to assist (if not entered in your profile)
I5 6600K, GTX 1070, NVMe SSD with both Rolling Cache and MSFS installed on it
Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
Are you on the Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Microsoft Store
Did you submit this to Zendesk? If so, what is your ticket #?
Not yet

It would appear that this is an entirely to be expected result of the optimisations done to the engine. I too noticed this effect when I first went looking around but I also noticed that even though the fps drop was significant the view was still silky smooth and completely stutter free.

In short I don’t think this is a bug - it is now normal behavior.

We must be flying different sims because I’m DEFINITELY getting significant stutters and no “silky smoothness” when turning the camera. The frame rate visibly tanks, even with no FPS meters visible. If they sacrificed performance when the camera is turning while gaining performance when not turning, what’s the point of that in a flight sim? I have lag now when turning base to final, but not when on final. Imagine this sort of lag in a first-person shooter. Unacceptable.

3 Likes

Maybe we are flying different sims. I run with frame lock at 30 and when panning around in external view the fps counter never dropped below 24, and it was locked at 30 for at least 90% of the time, and the view was entirely smooth and fluid. I truly could not tell that the fps had dropped unless I looked at the frame counter. Just to be as fair as possible I obtained those figures at one of the most demanding places in the sim - 5000ft directly above Big Ben in central London. I’m only running 1080p but my system while beefy, is not top tier - i7-7820X, 32G, 1080Ti

I truly don’t understand why you are getting such a poor experience and I hope you can find the cause quickly.

It looks like you have a better system than I do, but just by a bit. My only idea is that it has something to do with loading in new land textures, because I also have that “lag when teleporting” bug that you mentioned in that other thread. I try to run my sim at 40fps. I know the stutter is from frame drops, not from the choppy mouse camera panning because I tried it with the keyboard panning controls and got the same lag. It’s not so much as the frame rate smoothly drops, it’s more like it stutters, and continues stuttering for a bit after the camera stops moving.

I can report I am having this issue with SU5 and TrackIR:

1 Like

Ok, at least I’m not alone, but I’m not getting audio stuttering.

Just had a thought - one thing that I didn’t mention is that as part of my upgrade process I deleted my rolling cache file and re-initialised it. I notice in another thread that doing this cured someones stuttering while panning problems. Might be worth a shot…

1 Like

I already tried that, it didn’t seem to change anything.

Deleting rolling cache helped me. Thx!

I mentioned this in another thread, deleting the rolling cache did not resolve the issue.

1 Like

I’ve also got the same issue and deleting the rolling cache didn’t do anything. I really got my hopes up with this update, since i’ve had micro stutters since launch, but now it’s even worse. I don’t want to seem like a spoiled brat, but the 50% increase in fps isn’t so great when I lose half my framerate turning the camera.

2 Likes

I’ve raised a ticket on Zendesk about this issue. I’ve noticed it’s worse on the ground for me, and I’d class it as more of an annoyance than a problem (I’m bottoming out at about 30fps when turning, but getting 90fps otherwise), but I’d like it dealt with if at all possible

2 Likes

I tested the theory of it being somehow G-Sync related, but it’s not. Turning off G-Sync, using a fixed refresh rate, frame limiting in NV Inspector or in game, V-Sync, or combinations of all of the above, make no difference. Again, I am certain the problem is in-engine with the rendering alterations introduced in SU5. Hopefully a dev can shed some light, I have raised a ticket and urge others to report it as well.

3 Likes

I have the same problem can’t even fly because lateral stutter is so bad, have totally uninstalled and reinstalled 5 times and it does not fix the issue

Interesting that when I google for this issue, the last reply is an hour ago. This is killing me when I use the mouse to look around on the ground, it’s constantly overshoots where I’m trying to look. I might do some research to see if it’s tied to specific aircraft/positions.

1 Like

Hi I don’t know if you already found a solution for this problem yourself after all this time but after some experimenting what helped me quite a lot was setting the OFF SCREEN TERRAIN CACHING in the Graphics options to ULTRA ironically. When you pan around and this option is set to a LOW, terrain which comes into your view will only then get rendered and once it goes off screen it will be unloaded, so by having everything constantly preloaded it actually reduces the stutters on my end at least.