[SU6 Beta] Can we have a private forum area for beta testers to share experiences

I have reported some feedback on the feedback hub but I’m not sure this is the correct place since there was no Microsoft Flight Simulator application in the list (only “Simulateur de vol” in french).
I also noticed that this is not a reserved space for SU6 beta and anybody can see the comments so the NDA is broken here.
Maybe another way to report feedback? The SU5 reporting was ok.

4 Likes

I really liked the separated aircraft SME section where some more detailed discussions happened. I sometimes “lurked” around the general beta threads and found problems that I was able to replicate. Then I raised awareness in the SME section.

So zendesk is not used anymore for bug reports? Since I can´t use the feedback-hub to report a problem or bug.
Edit : fixed the bugs by uninstalling the feedback hub and reinstalling it from the MS store.

Zendesk was not used at all in the post-launch beta tests (I don’t know about the VR beta though), all reports had to be made in the forums.

1 Like

Well I used the zendesk in the last beta test as well as writing here in the forum. Probably did it wrong then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Private forum area discussion is a must. This is how I think it can go:

When someone posts a topic/bug, there should be a button to vote on if it is “replicable” on their system. Then on every message/post, there should be a “fixed” button similar to a like button to know if that particular post has fixed the issue and gets moved up so it would be easily seen by others visiting the thread.

Now all Asobo/Microsoft needs to do is to look at the most “replicable” ones and once a fix is found, it can be easily seen and incorporated on the next update.

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

In general, I officially refuse to use the Feedback Hub due to its complete inconsistency and total inconvenience. If Asobo / Microsoft’s goal was to reduce the number of bug reports, then the goal has been achieved.

2 Likes

That can be achieved through the voting and solved plugins that are already installed. They’d just need to be activated for the category.

Furthermore, tags could be used when issues are recorded internally.

If the goal is to streamline reports getting to the devs, I still believe the best way to do that is through dev participation.

I am making a bit of an assumption here, but if the developers are loosely put into teams based on their area of focus (i.e,. aircraft, scenery, physics, etc.), then the dream goal would be to have something like this:

• Nominate one person from each team to be the “Team Liasion”. If Microsoft is concerned about things getting lost in translation, maybe look at choosing the person with the best English skills.

• Each day that person jumps on the forums for 30 minutes (more or less depending on need). They read through the issues reported in their area. Feed the information back to their teams. That reduces the strain on the CMs and allows you to focus on other areas of community engagement

• If the development team then decides they need more feedback, they can ask in the topics they are monitoring, and because there are fewer hops in the chain of communication they can get the information they need far faster

Because we aren’t talking about a huge time commitment there really is no reason it can’t be done by developers, and in fact, it should be. The issue with relying on people to relay testers concerns is that through no fault of the people involved, the process is slower, prone to things getting lost in translation, and it makes it harder for the devs to ask questions and get speedy replies.

I have always been of the opinion that the devs aren’t here because certain people are afraid of exposing them to the forums for whatever reason (I have theories on that one :wink: but this isn’t the place) - but there are ways to safely bring in some developers, even if it is just for each round of testing.

7 Likes

So due to the NDA, testers cannot report any Update-related bugs to third-party developers. At least with a Forum, other users of the same add-ons could see if the problem can be replicated, reproduced or worked around, and any third-party dev representatives in the Beta could also see the post(s) and work on fixes.

Right now, all the third-party devs are very much behind the 8-ball on if SU6 breaks their products with no way to know about it. That seems counterproductive to healthy sim marketplace and ecosystem.

2 Likes

To add to this, although you can add screenshots and even video to the feedback hub, it’s not clear if this is allowed under the NDA. Also I found tonight that the feedback hub has a limited number of characters available - so in trying a lengthy description of an issue that a screenshot would have solved in 2 seconds, I haven’t been able to capture enough details to be very helpful. A picture paints a thousands words as they say - and funnily enough, that seems to be exactly the number of characters you get

I did, and it reported being full already

Any data (incl. screenshot from clipboard or file, logs, etc) attached to your feedback isn’t available to be seen by public view. Only MS can see that data. All you, and the public, can see once the feedback is posted, is the body of text written.

It’s still a very odd situation to have an NDA covering the beta but yet asked to write on a public-viewable platform, such as Feedback Hub, about the NDA’d beta product.

Thanks for that - which also means that anyone else in the beta wanting to see any screenshot or file posted can’t either? Which also isn’t great. Just all seems a bit “cack-handed” as we might say in the UK.

Yes, that’s correct. No-one, not even the author of the feedback can see the screenshot(s) once posted. There is no segregation between this Beta and Beta users vs. the non-beta version of Flight Simulator, only by mentioning it in the title (e.g. ‘SU6’ / ‘Beta’ / ‘ver #’…) do we know if it’s the Beta being talked about. So it’s about as ‘cack-handed’ as you can get, lol.

1 Like

Unlucky, i guess. But if you are a dev, you should message them to get acess. They said something like they would give 3rd partie developers acess. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I cant even see my own feedback report in the list of all feedbacks. I have the feeling that it is posted under the wrong category, although I selected “flight simulator”.

It seems to take a few minutes to appear for some reason

2 Likes

yes , well I followed those instructions, just changing the filters to “recent”

Sim Update 6 Flight Now Live - Community / News and Announcements - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Yes, all of this times 1,000. Thank you @Jummivana . I was just searching some bugs in Feedback Hub to see if others are commenting, and I just don’t see a lot of feedback (not to say SU6 isn’t good, just that in forums it’s so much easier to investigate stuff and talk back and forth with others).

It just takes a minute or so. I hit refresh and after a minute or two, I see my feedback

1 Like