Subfolders in Community Folder, What do you think?

Not true. You can put them anywhere you want. You pick the folder when you first run the game. If you just move the files somewhere and run the game it’ll detect their gone and ask you for the new location (or download them again if you wish).

It is, at the moment, unclear whether the Community folder will ever be available on xbox. Xbox uses the marketplace exclusively right now and is, I think, the way it will always be. To do otherwise risks code that has not been through the MS xbox vetting process being able to be run on the xbox, which is not allowed today for any title.

Mods sold through the marketplace are stored in the “Official” folder and not the Community folder, and so the user never has a need to organise these through some kind of file structure and therefore no need to be able to manipulate these through an “xbox explorer” (which doesn’t exist anyway) as it can all be managed through the content manager as is today.

In that sense, the devs have clearly thought through the design to be able to work on both xbox and PC.

None of which makes this an xbox title designed for xbox that happens to run on PC. It has been designed to run on both from outset, which is the same as all windows “play anywhere” games.

This is one of the areas where the PC and xbox titles differ. The others being things like the graphics fidelity capabilities and ability to be able to connect to external software (like FSUIPC, LNM etc) which is also currently not available on xbox. So definitely not true to say that if it doesn’t work on xbox it won’t come to the game…it already has.

1 Like

I think you mean “can” here?

1 Like

The other advantage of Addons Linker is that it includes two tools that scan all of the addon files for duplicate file names and corrects them.

These duplications cause conflicts which in turn are a common cause of CTDs, esp if you have a lot of addons all loaded at the same time.

It only takes a few seconds to run each of the scans everytime you add a new add on to your folders.

1 Like

What’s unclear about it?
Check out Top Wish #27
https://msfs-cdn.azureedge.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/c38783.jpg

You misintertpreted what I said.

The file system is a base feature of how MSFS works. You’ll of course notice that MSFS exists as an app in the Microsoft Xbox style ecosystem under Windows 10/11. Yes, MSFS retained the simconnect methodology and included WASM and C++ programming API for interacting with other programs from FSX. But, hmm, let’s take a look at all of the controversy around the RXP applications, which can’t work in MSFS anymore because of the changes in interaction with MSFS, hmm, very similarly to how Xbox doesn’t allow external programs to interact.

I’m not a programmer, so I can’t speak exactly to the issues I’m discussing above, but there’s plenty of discussion on this board around this subject if you do a little searching.

My point was, the community folder is not likely to get subfolders, because that is a very base functionality of how the program interacts with the OS, and, if it’s not going to work on Xbox, they are not going implement it on PC.

Anyone who hopes to see the PC version fork from the Xbox version is dreaming. If anything, the program is going to get more “locked down”. I’m obviously not saying they are going to remove the ability of developers to extend the capabilities of the software. But it’s going to follow rules based on the Xbox ecosystem, with some extensions available on PC, that still follow the rules of “sandboxing”. And, when I say “locked down”, what I mean is, the 3rd party developers, in general, would like to see more DRM so they can keep their IP safe.

Well, then I’d kindly suggest you don’t spread misinformation about Reality XP either!

The only reason you can’t have any Reality XP add-on in FS2020 has nothing to do with ancient or older simulators technologies which are no longer available in the FS2020 SDK, not at all.

As a matter of fact, some of the advanced SDK features which would have been helping were already discussed in the past with one Asobo lead in a private forum… until MSFT stop all communications with Reality XP dead-cold in March 2020.

I don’t believe I have a solve for your question, but related to it, here are 3 topics about this you might want to check out to see if you agree with:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/582275-rxp-gtn-750650-and-gns-530430-for-fs2020/?do=findComment&comment=4524732

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/582275-rxp-gtn-750650-and-gns-530430-for-fs2020/?do=findComment&comment=4554785

RXP GTN 750/650 and GNS 530/430 for FS2020 - Page 4 - RXP General Forum - The AVSIM Community

1 Like

I had no intention of spreading misinformation, and I’m sorry if I did. My point was, your software used to pass information between FS and an external program directly as it were, and that’s not allowed anymore. Essentially for “security” reasons, in this case, as opposed to a UI reason which I implied above for managing a multiple folder system for storing packages. But, I imagine, also, that there are “Xbox related” file system /VFS reasons as well that pushed them to choose not to have multiple “Community” folders as part of the MSFS file system structure, as FSX used to have.

(I put “Xbox related” in quotes, because, I imagine, Microsoft is looking to make Windows itself similar to Xbox OS as it moves forward)

Is that incorrect?

(I did not mean to get into any business related reasons that got in the way of implementing RXP products in MSFS. I’m sad discussions fell apart, and I do hope that gets worked out/resolved someday. And, thanks for the links to the discussion related to the subject.)

(I’m also assuming that “Asobo” couldn’t have been so “stupid” as to not realize users would be managining hundreds if not thousands of addon packages; I’m assuming there is a technical reason for a single “Community” folder.)

1 Like

Don’t worry I’m fine, I’m not claiming you’re intentionally spreading misinformation either, and I’m sorry if I lead you to believe the contrary. Like you said these are development and technical low level issues which are complex enough on their own. As a matter of fact, just by using the SDK as-is, without any hack, you can distribute add-ons which are injecting foreign code into the FS2020 process and/or granting access to call any DLL on your system… both from WASM and JS/HTML layers. And I won’t even try to explain other types of WASM sandbox evading in exploiting your CPU flaws similarly as with the Spectre exploits, because I think this is off-topic enough already, but you can search my post history for more details.

What I’m advocating consists in implementing in the SDK direct access to what the SDK is otherwise using indirectly. These are technologies/APIs which would be protected the same, by the Windows Kernel, as they are already protected the same when used indirectly via the current SDK… In doing so, the SDK would be offering support for a larger category of add-ons needs, and it would support more effective implementation of the most complex airliner gauges as well, like the ones found in PMDG, FSLabs, Tolis, and many other similar aircraft.

Therefore the only reason to me this is not implemented has nothing to do with security (it is no less secure) nor with technology (they are already using this technology indirectly via the SDK). And this has nothing to do with the Xbox either, because the PC version is already offering a certain number of PC specific capabilities like the user-level access to the Community folder, and there is no particular reasons to not offering PC specific SDK additions either.

And just to make it clear: this has nothing to do with Reality XP “wanting” to load external DLLs… we wouldn’t need to with the aforementioned SDK addition… which again raises the question: who benefits the most from lecturing me…

1 Like

No need to lecture me, but I think we agree

1 Like

Yes the community folder should support arbitrary subfolder …

This is only true for the MS Store version. On the steam version you are completely free where you put your game files.

Already covered in #self-service:wishlist - please participate there. Thanks.

1 Like