Terrain mesh in mountain areas

I believe that too!!! And hopefully World Series update addresses these issues from region to region without breaking the sim.

I couldn‘t agree more.

I‘m not sure if mesh data are streamed. I‘m also not sure if the freely available mesh is also free for commercial use.

It definitely makes a huge difference whether you‘re familiar with a place or not. But in cases such as the Jungfrau or the Dolomites you can clearly see that the they don‘t look realistic, even if you‘ve never seen the mountains in real life. The imagery looks distorted and mountains look as if they were melted.

1 Like

In some areas it looks almost as though there was a buy one get three free offer on trees!
For my own immediate area (in the UK) part of the problem is that the AI is seeing a bush and planting a tree there. The AI has some odd ideas about appropriate buildings too. There’s a farm not far away from me that now appears to have a block of flats built on it.

I get your point about areas that we aren’t familiar with but even then, when I’m seeing trees growing on railway lines and mountains that look wrong, it’s obvious that things just aren’t right.

Going back to the trees and other issues; if there were an accessible, reasonably easy to use editor, I could improve my local area.
If we had that facility, while we probably wouldn’t be up to rebuilding mountains, there’s a lot of community expertise out here that could be used to improve these issues to everyone’s benefit.

Agree with your reasoning. Where I live and fly RC planes, the area, while having too many trees, is remarkably accurate. In the sim I can show you the prickly small tree where my friend once crashed. Touchy getting the plane out. Anyway, at the end of our flying area are two medium-sized trees, and between these trees is a large, open 4-post picnic shelter. From above it looks exactly like in real life, but on the ground there is a small house there, the same size as the real shelter. Anyone unfamiliar with the area would never know the difference. Now realistic look from above, is of prime importance to me.

That’s the point however. If I know that if I go in the simulator to a place I know (whether my home town or a place I know well I have been or are familiar with), then I know that I can literally go anywhere and it would be exactly like in real life. Since this is one of the dimensions of the landscape (terrain/city detail another one)…

There’s a wishlist for this in service, go here and vote for it.

terrain mesh wishlist <— click here

1 Like

Can someone help me with this issue? SVPQ (grong ICAO btw, the correct one is SVWQ)

Here’s a screenshot from the Matterhorn in my X-Plane 11. I was flying some helicopter today.
With such a mesh in MSFS 2020 I would be very happy.

4 Likes

You could always download this…

2 Likes

Thank you! :blush::+1:t3:

or this… (well soon at least)

2 Likes

Peak Finder, an iOs app, correctly identified all the visible peaks in the Himalayan range. Interesting!!!
I wish the peaks were accurate from near distance too.

4 Likes

The matterhorn mod is great, but it still looks bad when surrounded by other low mesh moutains. So we definitely need a global mesh uphrade.

The digital elevation model used for Japan is pretty ■■■■ good. Certainly bodes well for future updates.

Hi Abriael, do you have a few pictures for the same location before the update?

Unfortunately no, I never flied there before.

Thanks, it would be good for comparison in the future to see differences, etc… I love things like this.

Even with the improved DEM, the ground is still too smooth. What could help is autogen boulders and rocky outcrops scattered around and throwing shadows to make it appear more rugged.

This is absolutely true, and not only for Dolomites, I am sorry to say. Ita ffects vertical shapes and I hope it will soon be corrected. I also flew in places I know well, but they were almost unrecognizable in the sim.

Some regions are acceptable like a small area in the Everest Region but other regions have whole mountain ranges missing. As shown in these comparisons below. I even Zendesked it.

This issue probably needs to be voted higher (how can we do that?!), as shape of mountains are important landmarks and improves greatly the simulation experience, an example is the recent beautiful Mt Fuji. Probably a World Series Update -Mountains of the World would be great.

Same area from MSFS

Real view