TERRIBLE LOD is destroying a potentially great sim! (DISCUSSION)

a couple of things,

first of all the whole graphics settings/options in MSFS is poorly done.
They lump together complexity/density together with draw distance.
Basically it means that you cant do long drawdistance with low complexity/low density, or high complexity/density with low draw distance.
Instead you end up with either low complexity/density AND low draw distance, or high complexity/density with long draw distance.

The cause is because TLOD basically lumps PG and ground texture++ into one slider (TLOD), where its controlled by concentric rings around the aircraft, which is clearly seen in a couple of the videos linked above: TERRIBLE LOD is destroying a potentially great sim! (DISCUSSION) - #214 by hobanagerik
Especially easy to see when the different quality imagery has very different tones.

on top of that TLOD also somehow works as a “overall” limiter where it also limits any other objects within that TLOD range. Though I find it very weird that some of the texture maps was completely gone or worse right below the aircraft in these examples: TERRIBLE LOD is destroying a potentially great sim! (DISCUSSION) - #189 by FinalLightNL
Are those two bottom images only difference the TLOD and nothing else? @FinalLightNL If so, that is worrying.

…which brings me to my worry that I brought up in another thread regarding how LODs are treated in msfs. I worry that there are some cases where even regular LOD like 100 or 200 wont even show highest LOD even right at your location. Would be great if someone had any info of exactly how these concentric LOD rings works.

It seems at least like you would need at least 200TLOD to have a acceptable quality at a reasonable range, and avoid melted buildings, texture poppings and blurry texture quality nearby.

@CptLucky8 had a lot to point out regarding this topic:

1 Like