Text-based flight planning capability

It’s will be good if i can copy and paste string to or from clipboard to flightplan waypoints in a World Map.

I can preplan my flights, but spend some time to set WPT in World Map!

As of 1.8.3.0, to create a flightplan with custom waypoints (i.e., not the automatically generated IFR High Altitude/Low Altitude/VOR to VOR routes), a user has to manually select every individual waypoint on a map. This is moderately annoying for long routes, and detracts from the usability of the flightplanning tool.

Would it be possible to implement a text input for flight plan generation? So instead of manually picking every individual waypoint on the map (if it can be found), a user can simply type in the route they want (e.g., SEA NORMY J90 MWH KEETA KP09Y IDIOM GGUCE JHW J70 STENT J70 MAGIO J70 LVZ LENDY6), and the flight planner generates the route automatically based on the text input.

Many websites already have this functionality (text to routing), such as SimBrief, Skyvector, FltPlan.com, Foreflight, etc… This should be relatively easy to implement.

save your flightplan from an external tool, and load that into FS, agree though it would be nice to be able to just paste a text string.

Yeah, my workaround has been generating the flightplan in Simbrief and loading it into MSFS. Unfortunately, it doesn’t resolve the issue of it selecting the departure procedure off the wrong runway in MSFS.

And selecting the same departure with a different runway causes MSFS to automatically regenerate the entire flightplan.

1 Like

The last part is the worst.
Why does the whole flighplan change when choosing an arrival procedure…?

Normally the flightplan is divided in 3 parts: T/O RWY and DEP PROC (SID), +++ ATC ROUTE +++ ARR PROC (STAR/TRANS) and LDG RWY.
The procedures are connected to the runways, but the route itself is never touched by any of the procedures. the SID leads to the first navpoint and the STAR/TRANS begins at the last navpoint.

I don’t know the logic behind the actual flightplanning in the worldmap, but like the aircraft loading menu I have the feeling, that there were capable programmers at work, but they seem to have have no clue about aviation rules.

Text-based flight plans are basically overcome, except in these countries who are generally way behind asking for a weird FAX hours before departure (Hello Spain!). Flights Plans are either prepared and submitted by OPS in the form of digital operational flight plans (commercial operators) or via a software (for example Foreflight) or on an ATC website. Therefore it would be nice to have that text based feature for example to copy and paste flight plans created via Rocketroute AND to be able to use the already existing connection to Foreflight etc and to just upload the flightplan from your iPad.

1 Like