The Total Eclipse April 8th, 2024

They moved a PD day so no extra days off just a different one.

it’s not about being soft it’s about offering young people (students) the chance of a lifetime or at least twice in a life time.This is my second full total eclipse in my area and i’m 46. My first was when i was 8

1 Like

The post stated for “safety” reasons. If it was to experience the event, that totally another issue.

I read the article and the “safety” issue is having K-6 students who are getting out of school around the same time (2:30-3:30pm) saying “HEY LOOK!” and having their retinas burned before they are even 15 years old. That’s the concern…

1 Like

W.R.T. chasing an eclipse with a fast aircraft: This video was just released about the time Concorde 001 was used to do just that.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, it’s very cloudy today in Toronto and many areas across the path of totality :sun_with_face::waning_crescent_moon::cry:

Yea you can. I just deactivated Live Weather, fast forwarded to the specific times where the totality would begin. I tried the following locations:

• Cleveland, OH
  • Waco, TX
  • Mazatlán, Sinaloa, Mexico

You have to change to the Drone Camera and zoom in until 100%.

Unfortunately this is the maximum that it gets to. The day wouldn’t turn into night either.
But this was all not Live Weather. I’ll definitely try that again when it happens in Real Time.

UPDATE (real time):
You can see the eclipse starting if you go to the world map.

10 Likes

Unfortunately, the sun and moon positions aren’t accurately simulated. There is no place with 100% sun coverage, and I think it’s the same everywhere. I tried in France, where it’s definitely not visible irl, but I see the same view as on your screenshot.

1 Like

Still, it’s not awful given it’s a flight sim and not Universe Sandbox or similar

5 Likes

I’m flying from Ivalo to Tromsø over Swedish Lapland at the moment and suddenly noticed this. I didn’t even realize eclipses were possible in the sim but of course it makes sense since the moon and sun are somewhat accurately simulated. Not sure if the eclipse is even partially visible in Sweden though. Still awesome to see this.

7 Likes
5 Likes

This is awesome… I really hope in MSFS 2024 though that actual darkness gets simulated as well.

6 Likes

question is, when or even if where are gonna see that next eclipse in our lifetime :smiley:

If you can travel, you can see one on average every 18 months.

2 Likes

Get your travel plans in order :wink:

3 Likes

The best I could get, even at WACO, that should have been right under it

The light level never changes, and the MOON is not Dark against the sun.

Maybe if the Eclipse was to pass over France between 2020 and 2024, it might have been simulated better

Mmh, I don’t think so. I tried different locations yesterday. They all looked the same.
I was over the Pacific Ocean, Mediterranean Sea, on the Ground in Palma and other locations. They all looked almost the same. Some of the locations were not event meant to show the eclipse like Europe.

2 Likes

I still think it’s pretty cool that FS2020 simulates the moon’s position as closely as it does. It would be nice if it was a little more accurate, of course, and it would be really cool if the sun’s light was affected. Chasing the eclipse would be neat to try.

2 Likes