Thermals, Up & Downdrafts - Realism Update/ Airmass Simulation

Hey folks, no-one was more surprised than me but I actually found a thermal inside an MSFS thunderstorm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ91Mv447qI

So this has two parts:

1. simulated vertical air movement that has a perfectly reasonable effect on the aircraft
  2. the thermal location is linked to the presence of the cloud (I assume - can’t be 100% sure)

So Asobo do seem to have a capability designed in to MSFS (maybe), it’s just very very hard to detect at the moment, but maybe we should be optimistic.

I kinda hope Asobo see the use of the simulated Netto vario to give a tangible indication of what the sim plane thinks is happening around it - it’s a more realistic way of exploring the simulated thermals than looking at numbers in a debug tool.

6 Likes

That’s awesome! Thank you very much for sharing! First time I see an thermal/updraft like this.

I tested it with other cloud types, seems like it works as well all of sudden (not that constant and strong like with the thunderstorm, but still noticeable).

Just a speculation, but it looks like they didn’t limit up/down drafts like an maximum number, but they reduced the overall percentage of the effects like:

• 100% = 10% (thunderstorm)
  • 80% = 8% (broken clouds)
  • 60% = 6% …and so on…

would make perfect sense, that’s why under normal conditions we notice almost nothing and that updraft in your video has the effect of a ‘‘weak to normal’’ thermal.

But if they turn it up to 100% the glider would be thrown around in that thunder cloud like a piece of paper, just like in reality.

Holy moly, I can’t wait for ‘‘full percentage realism’’; that’s gonna be awesome. :wind_face: :100:

Is it just me or are the up&down drafts all of a sudden a lot stronger?

Latest flight with the DG-808S I’ve got some very strong (terrain based) updrafts. Longer flights are possible instead of a slow ‘‘delayed downfall’’.

By ‘terrain based’ you mean ridge/slope lift?

I’ve not studied that carefully recently but I have noticed the ‘thermal’ air movement seems to have changed and suspect an Asobo update.

1 Like

@MSGamerTag01 yes ridge/slope lift, flying randomly over some mountains.

Used real life weather (wind speed around 7kt) and got some very nice strong uplift , which was constant in phases. Almost similar to your thermal discovery.

I’m curious if there was any update in the background, because there wasn’t any update to download recently.

I’m guessing it was Sim IV update Release Notes (1.16.2.0) Sim Update IV Now Available! - Microsoft Flight Simulator even though there’s no mention of it.

And if ridge lift and thermals have both had an uptick maybe your earlier theory that everything was/is dialled-down was correct and Asobo just reduced the dialling-down a little bit.

2 Likes

trying to reproduce the nice constant updrafts in mountain areas I have to say it doesn’t work :sweat_smile:
maybe it was a coincidence with some perfect airflow that caused it to be working a few days ago.

Meanwhile the thundercloud updrafts (discovered from @MSGamerTag01 ) are still working, so they can be used for gliding, you just have to pretend they are ‘‘friendly sunny clouds’’ and not thunderclouds which would spin/crash your glider in real life :joy: .

what’s the issue here Homie? You mean with no wind?

it was possible for once to generate some realistic up/downdrafts with low to normal windsettings in an mountain area (I used real life weather). That’s not reprudceable.

You have to crank the windspeed up ridiculously high to make it work,
that’s where we end up in the Asobo placed ‘‘percentage effect reduction’’ again :laughing:

Ah I get it… for low-level ridge soaring e.g. near Mifflin USA: KRVL with long SW-NE ridges ~1500…2000 feet, the MSFS slope lift seems not too far off what it should be, i.e. 17 knots NW wind enables you to cruise along the ridges pretty well.

Do you think the mountains issue is that MSFS slope lift is not working accurately in that scenario, or that real-life mountains often have accumulated thermal updrafts following the slope on the sunny side of the mountain?

1 Like

thank you, gonna try that route :slight_smile:

It could be just the glider beeing in a bad position in the middle of the mountains and the wind direction changes caused by the mountains, just like in real life mountain gliding can be very dangerous, gonna have to do some more tests :smiley: .

The temperaturebased updrafts should be also already in the sim (stated by Sebastian/Asobo).
Maybe that was the cause of very good updrafts in the test before, where I only had a 7 knots wind but strong updrafts all over the place .

There’s no substitute for experience BUT if you want to cater for the masses then you first have to light a fire. I am 100% behind helping hands such as thermal visuals so long as they remain options that you can always turn off…

1 Like

Alright guys, we’ve made it into the last Q&A (I was screaming when Jayne asked the question :joy: )
I was very happy that the question got asked, but also a little bit disappointed with the answers…

still no answer why they don’t consider to make a non limited realistic version at least optional possible.

(41:48 - auto-timestamped)

so yeah, sadly nothing new…

• current up/down draft limit of 500 fpm
  • realistic drafts like in thunderclouds is something they gonna ‘‘work on later’’ … :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
  • they gonna announce a glider develop partner with a lot of knowledge (maybe in the next devupdate)

It’s basically what I’ve said when I opened this topic, there wont be any realism improvements/ options (realism slider) until they introduce gliders, next year… - Gameover :cry:

3 Likes

There is a huge tropical storm ‘‘Elsa’’ building up near Florida,
since the Asobo limitation god is with us, let’s head right into it with an Ultralight airplane… :man_shrugging:
#realism #sim

3 Likes

Play with fire and one day you might get burnt …

1 Like

Interesting that thing you/they say about “natural visualisation”. I remember from back in the days I was flying gliders that the most prolific such visualisation were those big fluffy white things… Maybe sometimes the odd hawk or kite - but you mostly only spot them when you’re in the thermal with them already. And certainly never grass (they should give us better control over the grass growing on the ground before they want to make it fly :smiley:)

On a related note: Someone just resurrected my historic thread where some of this was already discussed in depth. So for completeness’ sake:

What I don’t understand, we are going from last years statement:

• ‘‘We gonna roll out a few updates and reduce the limitations’’

to a year later:

• ‘‘there is a limit I believe it’s somewhere around 500fpm, we gonna work on that later’’.

It seems like they actually don’t know what kind of limitations they have implemented to a point where they don’t even care anymore.
Also what does have a 3rd party glider devolper to do with the core weather aerodynamic feature limitations ?

It’s getting more weird and disappointing with every interview.

3 Likes

Boy, that thread was shut down quickly. I love watching landings on Youtube…how the airplane rocks, sometimes on final and floats, the pilot working to keep the airplane level over the runway. Here’s a good example from Steveo flying a TBM940. Notice how the airplane looks like it’s floating all the way down. My point is this: air moves. Just like water. It’s constantly in motion. Even in a fairly steady, light wind it varies 20-60 degrees and by 2-3 knots either side of the published speed. In gusty conditions, like in the video, it’s much more prominent. That’s, truly, what I would love to see.

2 Likes

Captains,

Even if I did try positively to raise this vote as well by opening a new topic, apparently it goes against the rule of this forum which don’t allow to ask for other votes via a topic which I didn’t know so that it wasn’t productive as hoped…

I tried to help raising our voices but I failed, I’m sorry about that (not the end of the world) :wink:

Knowing that there is no sign that Asobo will do something to make Turb in CB/TS in a realistic way as it’s supposed to be I just gave up and just uninstalled MF2020 to avoid more frustration which is positive to do, I still have my Xplane that deals with Turb/CB/TS when it comes to Active Sky so it’s ok and I have then more space for my ortho scenery. I will install MF2020 back once I will consider that it gets close to reality… and will check the forum from time to time to see if there’s something around.

Happy Flyings … anyways!

1 Like

Actually it helped a lot, +11 votes straight after your topic link creation and we are almost in the top 50 :sweat_smile: but yeah it’s not allowed to link any wishlist topic and ask for votes, I didn’t know that as well.

I also didn’t touched MSFS for a while now, it’s too boring, knowing that all the aerodynamic fundamentals are dumped down.

2 Likes