Tobii Eye Tracker 5 stops working when changing windows

This issue is still happening. Any updates Asobo or Tobii?

I tried using Tobii and changing the Sim from Full to Windowed mode from within the settings menu, rather than using the Alt and Enter keys, did not result in a Tobii issue. It takes longer of course. So I wonder if the Alt and Enter keys are causing the problem. It also seems as if the problem is intermittent, as my last flight was faultless, while during the previous flight Tobii failed.

In Sim Update 10 beta, for me, I donā€™t even have to do Alt-Tab ā€“ I just minimize the window, re-maximize the window and Tobii stops working.

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OPā€™s steps to reproduce it?

yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If I leave the main msfs screen for any reason I lose connection to Tobii

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I have a theory, not yet tested, that if you disable tracking in the options menu or using a shortcut key and then change from Windowed to full screen and back Tobii will continue to work. I will test this later today. Whatever the cause it is annoying and Tobii is the only external MSFS hardware that has this issue so you would imagine that they would keen to resolve it and issue a fix. Itā€™s disappointing to hear that it appears to still be a problem in the forthcoming update.

Iā€™ve my theory on two flights and so far no problems. Therefore:

1 Assign a keyboard, or joystick button to TOGGLE HEAD TRACKING.
2 Toggle head tracking Off before changing from full screen to windowed view and then Toggle head tracking back on when needed.

So far this has worked. No guarantees given though.

selbes Problem sobald ich das fenster minimiere oder mit win+d taste auf den desktop gehe verschwindet tobii aus den steuerelementen

Yes

Minimizing MSFS, then returning to MSFS, Tobii Eye Tracker is no longer functioning or listed as a device.

I did a full uninstall (as best as we are able) and reinstall. Same issue still.

Same issue, Tobii disconnects and is unresponsive to toggle TrackIR. Didnā€™t reproduce OPs steps, as I use MSFS in full screen mode on main monitor and never minimize, but chipping in because the end-result is the same and my issue also seems monitor-related and I can sort of now reproduce my own issue, which mainly occurs in two ways.

MSFS runs on main monitor, I have a second monitor (DELL) and an iPad as a third monitor via Spacedesk. Though possibly not exhaustive, issue occurs when either (a) zooming in on LittleNavMap (LNM) on the iPad monitor using its touch screen functionality (using mouse is fine as far as I can see), or (b) when moving LNM from the main screen to the second screen (DELL). Yet to test whether issue occurs when moving LNM between main and iPad screens. Issue only started last week; iirc, I was able to move LNM between any screens and zoom in on LNM via iPad freely before that. SU9, latest Nvidia, latest Win10 updates.

I havenā€™t tried some of the windowed/fullscreen fix attempts yet, but I am having a similar issue with Tobii not working at all.

Below is what I posted over in another Tobii thread:

I own an Alienware laptop with the embedded Tobii in the monitor bezel.

At some point around mid-July, shortly after this thread was opened, I noticed that my Tobii eye tracking was not working in MSFS. The eye tracker no longer shows up as a controller in settings and no head tracking works, regardless of camera settings or F12 tracking resets.

I cannot recall if this correlates with my install of the SU10 beta.

Tobii software and drivers were completely wiped and reinstalled using the appropriate drivers for my hardware. This did not alleviate the issue. Eye tracking works under Tobii Experience and Windows Hello but MSFS does not seem to recognize hardware (or at least does not populate a controller for it).

Tobii service log does show the following info about a client connection:

2022-08-31 xx:xx:xx,xxx [16] INFO Tobii.Service.Plugin.TobiiPluginManager -
Stream Engine: Client connected: FlightSimulator
2022-08-31 xx:xx:xx,xxx [16] INFO Tobii.Service.Plugin.TobiiPluginManager -
Stream Engine: Client 26 connected for server 1

I havenā€™t really had time to bother with it recently but I think Iā€™m going to dedicate a little time to troubleshooting. Once I get a chance Iā€™ll do some tests to see if I can get it working, then test windowed vs fullscreen vs minimize/open tests to see if these further issues persist.

Troubleshooting update: I performed several tests, including an uninstall and reinstall, tests with no addons, etc. I have a laptop with the embedded Tobii.

When running MSFS on the laptop display, the Tobii device is recognized, shows up in controls options, and works beautifully. No issues if I leave MSFS on the laptop display.

If I start MSFS on my external monitor attached via displayport, the Tobii is not recognized, doesnā€™t show up in controls options, and will not be recognized no matter what I do.

If I start MSFS on my laptop monitor then move MSFS to my external, Tobii will work while on the laptop display and then disappear from MSFS once I move it to the external monitor.

This is not the same behavior I experienced prior to installing the SU10 beta, so it seems related.

I replied to posts in the SU10 Beta forums regarding this issue, but just found this thread. Adding my contribution.

Not exactly - I have the same issue that the OP is having, but the steps to reproduce it are different. I do not recall this behavior happening prior to SU10 beta, at least in my experience. I vaguely recall the problem starting somewhere around mid-July. My Tobii used to work without issue while MSFS was on my external monitor. Currently in SU10 Beta, Windows updated to current, Nvidia drivers updated to current, only software installed between now and then is Microsoft Office. Relevant software installed: FSUIPC 7, SPAD.Next.

I have a Tobii Eye Tracker that is embedded in the bezel of my Alienware laptop. I also have an external monitor connected via DisplayPort as a secondary monitor, placed above laptop monitor. Laptop monitor is the primary monitor in Windows 10. Here is the issue I am experiencing:

If I start MSFS on the laptop monitor, MSFS will recognize the Tobii and it will be available in the controls options menu. The Tobii device works as expected. MSFS recognizes it on the primary laptop monitor on every start.

If I start MSFS on the external monitor, MSFS will NOT recognize the Tobii and it will not be available for use. At this point, there is no way to get it to recognize the Tobii even if I move MSFS back to the laptop monitor. No other troubleshooting attempts have worked, either. If I start MSFS on the external monitor, the Tobii is not available.

If I start MSFS on the laptop monitor, then move the window to the external monitor, the Tobii will be initially recognized and available. Once I move MSFS to the external monitor, the Tobii goes away in the sim and cannot be recovered without restarting MSFS on the laptop monitor.

I have verified that the Tobii works as expected using the Tobii Experience app as well as other Tobii-enabled games. I do not have OpenTrack or any other tracking software installed that would interfere with Tobii functionality. Tobii was working with both FSUIPC7 and SPAD.Next running without Tobii issue prior to this problem presenting.

N/A (screenshots not helpful with this peripheral scenario)

Hope this report helps. I will continue to troubleshoot and provide updates on my findings.

Another quick update - I just noticed that while MSFS doesnā€™t register that a Tobii device exists while started and running on my external monitor, the process ā€˜Tobii.EyeX.Engine.exeā€™ is still using CPU - about 12-15% on my 8 core i9.

This issue has not been fixed as of the latest beta update.

Yes. I have the identical problem.

After MSFS ā€œloosesā€ TET5 device in the control option menu, I am able to test that the TET5 is still functioning properly by bringing up the Tobii Experience Preview Screen and all is working good. I do not have this problem in DCS World.

I just got Tobii today and am experiencing the same issue. Why isnā€™t there more people complaining about this? Iā€™m pretty worked up right now as I need to be able to minimize the sim. Ugh. Went from 10 years operating on TrackIR flawlessly to this nonsense.

I am also struggling with this. Just got Tobii. SU9

A guess one pertinent question is: ā€œAre there any Tobii 5 Eye Tracker Users, who are not having this problem?ā€ I have tried putting the TET5 on two different systems, one with SU9 and the other with SU10Beta and both do the same.

As a work-around, I have been running in windows mode, but instead of minimizing MSFS to run another app, I scale the MSFS window down and then move it partially off the screen.