Today's infuriating MSFS experience - CTD since SU5

This could be the issue for you. All third party content, even if installed via the marketplace, is an add-on and can cause a problem.

Also did you check the content manager and install all world updates etc?

If you have previously edited the config file and set as read only, I suggest you delete it and let the sim recreate it as WU6 added new config entries to it.

Did you try the safe mode start after your CTD?

2 Likes

NO, the CTD happened AFTER I removed the NXi addon. I reverted back to the stock G1000 because the addon has so many bugs. I have never edited any MSFS config files

I get that, but if you have other content installed through the marketplace that is third party, that may be causing a problem.

Also, did you use safe start after the CTD and didthat help?

I don’t have any other addon content. I am trying another flight now to see if I get another CTD.
And no I didn’t use safe mode, but if I get another CTD then I will use it and see what happens

2 Likes

i would like to understand, why it runs perfectly for most of the Users and why some of you have massive problems with CTD ? I am convinced that it runs fine for the majority because i think that users with problems are more likely the ones that post in Forums. The others spend their time flying…
I have had only a few CTDs and they only occured directly after an Update and a reboot fixed it. So, since we are all running the same piece of Software and some have problems, some dont i am sure it is a hardware-problem or a problem caused by the installed Software or Drivers. All the systems are different but there must be a common denominator in the systems that have problems. I cant confirm that msfs hates overclocked CPUs, i have a ryzen 3600@4200 and no problems at all. Sure, the Autopilot is a Mess sometimes but i think we cant always blame Asobe for all the Cts .

1 Like

@Migulein72 Yes, if people have an issue then they will go looking for a solution and one place is here. I’m not sure if you read one of my earlier posts, but for months I had no issues. I come back after SU5 and all of a sudden I am now getting CTD’s where before I wasn’t.

1 Like

I agree with the OP.

Never had CTD’s until SU5. Cleared out my Community folder save for my most “needed” add-ons has yielded some success. Will have to spend some time slowly reintroducing add-ons to see if/what is causing it.

2 Likes

Have you created a Zendesk report?

One of funny things about my CTD case is sometimes it happens while I left it stays on Main Menu screen.

Open Flight Simulator, loading screen, left the PC,
go to kitchen, prepare some meals, back to PC to make sure it finish load to Main Menu;
Back to kitchen again, bring meals, and BAM, I see my desktop wallpaper.

It ends with I just eat my meals while scrolling and replying this forum.

1 Like

Well, obviously, an 8 hour experience was due to internet issues.

All the rest sounds like you have an underpowered system bloated with app remnants and startup kruft.

You say you took 2 months off…but you can’t wait out 8-12 hours? There’s your problem, it sounds like you’re not giving this sim a chance.

3 Likes

For me , I have a perfect experience with MSFS and no CTD or stutters or anything. It’s just perfect …but only since I’ve found and fixed what was my problem in the first place when I was experiencing CTD and bugs all the time. It was caused by my Reverb G2 USB connection on a AMD motherboard. I am now using a docking station to connect my G2 and everything is running flawlessly. I am patiently awaiting for the cable revision 2 from HP to fix my issues but in the meantime, this works fine.

So my opinion about CTD and problems with some people are mostly caused by hardware issues I think. I also had a few problems at one point because some malware was causing the game to crash and only malwarebytes was able to detect and remove it. I truly hope you find a fix for your problems because this game is just phenomenal in my opinion. Just flew a few flights in Austria last night and the scenery and details are beyond amazing !

Ever since SU5 update I have had non stop CTD and the trim switch clicking noise is absurd and I am loosing interest in MSFS each attempt I try to enjoy it. I got about 380 Hours on it and ever since SU5 update it has been junk. Can’t even use the flight controls while left clicking the mouse, why make dumb changes.
I did a 100% fresh install of W10 and MSFS and still same issues.
I also have a very well maintained high end system I built that is flawless.

1 Like

To re-download all MSFS files is about 8 hours using 40-50Mbs connection that I have. My system is quite robust for this sim
i9-10900X
32Gb Ram
1TB SSD
RTX 3070 8GB

System is not bloated, its a reasonably new gaming rig I had built especially for MSFS 12 months ago.

1 Like

Well why don’t you at least TRY a reinstall, then if you still suffer from issues create a black hole Zendesk report!

I agree. Try reinstalling the game. I have done this just once after all else failed and it worked. BTW it took me 3DAYS with my connection. 8 hours seems like a luxury!

1 Like

Hi there,

When you get the chance, please consider updating your topic’s title. Your title should be short, simple, and should allow users to understand the purpose of your topic without opening it.

Good titles are important as they improve the chance others will find your topic when using the search system, and when browsing through the topic feed.

You can change your topic title by clicking the pencil icon next to your topic title at the top of the thread.

Have you opened a ticket with Zendesk? If so, could you let us know the ticket number?

Thank you.

The variety of experiences expressed here (and in many other threads) reflects the fact that individual PCs produce different outcomes. It is impossible for developers to ‘tweak’ a product that will produce good results for everyone. If they could, they would. It would be in their interests to receive universal approbation. No one wants to see disgruntled customers. But until every user has exactly the same setup, we will have threads such as this. Tiresome as they are.

1 Like

Topic moved to Self-Service

I would like to point out that in at least two of the hotfixes released since Su5, Asobo have included fixes for CTDs, as referenced in the release notes.

So Asobo have themslves admitted that at least some of the CTDs are due to the software.

So how can so many posters be absolutely sure the crashes remaining are all due to local problems? These posters presumably had no crashes in the period before Asobe released the crash fixes, and must therefore have been quite surprised to see them in the release notes.

As part of my job, I produced several pieces of software. A few people (not everyone) had crashes, and I always found this to be a fault in my coding. This was due to people using it in different (admittedly sometimes stupid) ways, or differences in hardware or infrastructure I hadn’t allowed for.

No matter what, I always accepted it as my problem, and applied corrections (or better instructions) accordingly. I expect Asobo to do the same. I actually believe they do accept responsibility, but unfortunately have too much on their plate (often due to Ms) so that their response is not as fast or as comprehensive as we would like.

2 Likes