Tree draw distance terrible again

how about this one:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/trees-low-draw-distance-after-sim-update-3-no-fun-anymore/376917/96?u=ju1ius2416

Thatā€™s nice, thatā€™s sim update 3. The post here is that tree distance got even worse in SU4.

The general concensus is that it has to do with terrain mesh. Itā€™s fine in flat areas like Florida, the OP said it got worse in Alaska for him, but he didnā€™t have any comparison shots. So, whoā€™s to say?

This nonsense about trees is never going to end. There was a joke made in the live chat about ā€œstudy level treesā€. I donā€™t see any issues with trees, they are right there, as far as the eye can see.

1 Like

As far as they eye can see?

LOD at 200, Trees ultra, Alert, NU (82.5 degrees North)

The irony, no trees grow there at all. But tree distance getting affected by latitude is a real issue.

4 Likes

I have this game, I play this game, and thatā€™s not what I see, I see plenty of trees all over the map. Donā€™t call me a troll either, petulance is unbecoming.

Yea you will see trees like that if your flying at 1000 ft agl. The fact is, no matter what your perception of these facts are, is that the tree draw distance in awful. Most areas it only draws out to about 5 nm. This is fine low to the ground but quickly becomes noticeable the higher you climb. When you are cruising around at 10k ft agl it looks like c*ap. This is not open to interpretation. Especially not since we once had trees all the way to the horizon with no impacts to performance.

2 Likes

since youā€™re playing something different hereā€™s another one, north of norway, maybe 4-5miles and after that itā€™s FSX

4 Likes

Some of you guys need to hop on a real GA aircraft.

4 Likes

Florida - tree go out a good distance

North Carolina - trees appear on mountains and further into the distance

Alaska - trees stop a few miles out well before the mountains, and the mountains look like FSX

You can see in Alaska, there is basically a line where the trees just cut off before the river

Hope this helps It wouldnā€™t let me upload the screenshot yesterday for some reason

2 Likes

NOTE: This is a bug that needs attention right now before World Update 5 comes out. I will report this BUG every day until itā€™s fixed. The community has been waiting for months and months for this to be fixed. I know Asobo is soon finishing optimizations to make the trees draw further, BUT Iā€™m pretty sure this is a different BUG that will remain after Asoboā€™s optimizations.

Image 1 above shows how awful the World Update 5 will look in the Nordics (ICAO: EFOP) if the Update still doesnā€™t include any change on treesā€™ draw distance. The trees draw distance in the Nordics by default is less than 4 nautical miles nor 10 nautical miles like Asobo stated on the latest Dev Q&A. The Equator in Colombia gave me a draw distance of 8 nautical miles with TLOD 125. Meanwhile, in Finland, less than 4 nautical miles only.

Image 2 below is the same location (ICAO: EFOP) with the FSBlogā€™s tree mod before Sim Update 3 broke it. The draw distance was 8 nautical miles with TLOD 125 and 10 nautical miles with TLOD 200. This is what the community wants EVERYWHERE on the Planet.

The BUG is: The trees draw distance decreases on the way from the Equator (10 nautical miles) towards the North/South Poles (less than 4 nautical miles), meaning the trees draw distance bug is somehow related to latitude. This bug needs more attention and a patch before World Update 5 is released.

6 Likes

This was addressed in the Q&A. Seb really feels that the tree draw distance is exactly the same as in July 2020, just the trees are smaller. I beg to differā€¦

1 Like

I think we all beg to differ. Does he not look at screen shots in the forums because it would be hard to miss if he didā€¦

I think many of us would be happy if asobo would revert the change that rendered the tree mod useless. At least when the tree mod worked it fixed the issue (despite it being a 3rd party work around and not an official fix) but that was good enough for me.

3 Likes

I have a sneaky feeling that like the live weather on first flight, the old lightning bug, etc, that this is an issue that not everyone is seeing.

Iā€™ve heard people complaining about lack of tree distance since pretty much launch. Yet, I didnā€™t see what people were complaining about. I had trees as far as the eye could see everywhere even with modest settings (Terrain LOD: 80-100, Trees: High). I honestly thought people were just being too picky. Upping my settings did increase draw distance and quality, but only very marginally. It wasnā€™t worth the performance hit for me.

Since WU4, Iā€™ve joined the club os short tree draw distances. My trees draw out to maybe a couple of miles out from my position. Even if I put TLOD at 200 (which murders my frame rate) and trees at Ultra, it makes no difference to draw distance any more. Outside of that radius, my landscape and everything looks like itā€™s out of a flight sim from the 90s. Terrain is super low resolution with no trees. And I can watch trees popping in ahead of me as I fly.

Yet there are people (Seb included) that post shots and videos showing trees as far as the eye can see.

Mine looks exactly like @Ju1ius2416 's screen shot here. Iā€™m at work right now, so canā€™t go take my own screen shots, but itā€™s exactly like that.

I donā€™t even think they use the same public build that we do, so they donā€™t see the issues we do.

1 Like

I watched the dev Q&A where he talks about the trees. He said they made them smaller and therefore more trees need to be rendered to cover the same ground. But that isnā€™t the issue were talking about here. You can clearly see from pictures I and others have posted above that the trees abruptly stop being rendered on a hard line in certain places (like the Alaska photo I posted). There definitely seems to be a bug where the further you are from the equator, the less draw distance you get. There is evidence for this posted in this thread. Iā€™ll agree the problem doesnā€™t seem to be everywhere.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry to say this here as I know it will be controversial but Iā€™ve never had a problem with tree draw distance. Trees on ultra, render scaling at 150 and Terrain LOD at 200. Trees as far as I can see. Certainly in the areas I fly, Innsbruck, and all round the UK. My trees do not stop abruptly like the above screen shot so this isnā€™t an issue that is affecting everyone. Sorry that is probably unhelpful but I thought Iā€™d add my comments. Iā€™m totally satisfied with this, and Iā€™m sorry if you wouldnā€™t be:

4 Likes

And I think thatā€™s the issue. Asobo canā€™t reproduce the issue some of us are seeing. To them, nothingā€™s changed. Even to may end users, it seems like nothingā€™s changed. But thereā€™s a subset of us that are affected.

For me, lattitude makes no difference. Thereā€™s no difference in draw distance whether Iā€™m flying over the Amazon, Florida, my home area of eastern Ontario (Canada) or up in the boreal forests of the sub-arctic. Itā€™s like the screen shot I quoted from @Ju1ius2416 in my post above. Thereā€™s a distinct radius of a couple of miles around my plane where there are trees. Beyond that, zero trees and super low res ground textures.

I also comment and show this in my latest YouTube video. The scenery looks beautiful inside that immediate radius, but looks like FS9 outside.

Neither did I until WU4. I always thought others were being too picky. Until it started happening to me as well.

Oh absolutely, I wasnā€™t having a dig, Iā€™m sorry if it came over that way. I hope this gets resolved so everyone has the same experience.

Not at all dude. Just pointing out that I was in the same situation as you previously. Now Iā€™m part of the low res scenery club as well. No offense taken.

I really think that like the live weather on first flight, low res photogrammetry, and people not seeing any live traffic at all bugs, this is a server-side issue that needs to be solved.

1 Like

I am in the ā€œlive weather only on first flightā€ and ā€œno live trafficā€ clubs so my experience is not totally flawless! We will persist. This time next year, we might be about there.

I see live traffic, although I do have occasional flights where there is none, despite the fact that Iā€™m in super busy airspace that should have loads of it. Itā€™s much like live weather. Iā€™ll have traffic on first flight, and then none on subsequent unless I restart the sim.

Since WU4, live weather had been working for me roughly 50-50, and is session based. One session, I may not get live weather on second flight. The next, I can do multiple flights with weather. It seemed quite random. No changes between sessions either. Same server (NA East via auto selection), no settings changed, etc.

Since SU4, so far Iā€™ve had weather on every flight. But thatā€™s about 4 unique sessions total, so not enough for me to declare the problem as ā€œfixedā€ for me. But at least thatā€™s looking promising.