U.S. METAR Visibility incorrect at most airports

on the microsoft world…jajajaj

1 Like

Does not hep if DP is always fixed at 10 C !!

Until the weather model and the sim start taking correct DP into account, and calculating Humidity, it’s always going to be a crude approximation.

At the moment, my sim is reporting Viz 14nm (simvar value),

Please report this - it looks totally unrealistic IMHO.

1 Like

This haze is really bad, and it’s new - I’ve had the sim since launch, and this was definitely NOT an issue in the past.

I live near and fly IRL out of KSBA and the contrast between what I absolutely know to be realworld visibility and what the sim generates is so incredibly off. It’s like MSFS thinks there’s a constant haze at low level, even though the METAR (in game and IRL) is P6SM or 10SM. Often this makes it hard to see the field even when you’re in the pattern - it’s really overdone.

I’m trying to use MSFS to supplement (using PilotEdge) my IRL flight training, but constant haze like this reduces the value of the software to me and creates a negative experience. It definitely wasn’t like this in the past, either, so at a minimum it would be great if they could revert the change until they have a suitable fix.

This is one thing improved by the beta which is about to become the standard edition for everyone. But you can still get a horrible transition as the visibility will only load in when you get close to the airport. So you will be able to see the airport in the distance and it will be perfectly clear, then as soon as you get in the metar area, bang the haze/fog/mist/whatever will instantly load in, ruining any immersion.

This comment didn’t age well!

For me it is just as bad or worse. Clear metars with 10sm, but game rendering half mile…

The accuracy of the weather simulation must be evaluated statistically, for example by the error frequency distribution. For example, it could be considered successful if the visibility is within 20% of the METAR reported, 80% of the time on a sample of e.g. 1000 airports. Similar with the other variables. Or for example as a contingency table with just 4 classes, VFR, IFR, LIFR, MVFR.
The weather representation in MSFS will never be perfect, but it can be awesome and sufficient for most of the people, most of the time.

1 Like

This item was delivered in Sim Update 11 hotfix (1.21.17.0).